Porting Java App To VB
Author Message
 Porting Java App To VB

Dear All,

I have a Java Application which I would like to port to Visual Basic.  It is
a PDF renderer.  Does anyone know if this will be even  be possible?
If so what should I be aware of?

Thanks

iw

Mon, 10 May 2004 04:48:32 GMT
 Porting Java App To VB

Quote:

>Dear All,

>I have a Java Application which I would like to port to Visual Basic.  It is
>a PDF renderer.  Does anyone know if this will be even  be possible?

If it works, why on Earth port it? But yes, it's perfectly possible, though
perhaps I would wait for the first release of vb.net, since that might be a
more similar language.

Quote:
>If so what should I be aware of?

You will miss _many_ libraries.

--
Fernando Rodrguez
frr at wanadoo dot es

Mon, 10 May 2004 17:49:33 GMT
 Porting Java App To VB
Sure it's possible. All you have to do is look at the Java code, see
what it's doing, and write VB code that does the same thing. Piece of
cake. ;)

Seriously though, I don't think there are any tools that will do it
for you or even help you do it. Good luck with it.

Mon, 10 May 2004 18:42:21 GMT
 Porting Java App To VB
: Sure it's possible. All you have to do is look at the Java code, see
: what it's doing, and write VB code that does the same thing. Piece of
: cake. ;)

: Seriously though, I don't think there are any tools that will do it
: for you or even help you do it. Good luck with it.

"Classic" VB and Java have little in common; to use Java effectively
requires an OO mindset, while to use VB effectively precludes it.

However, VB.NET will be *much* closer to Java in terms of capabilities
and design patterns.  I agree with the poster who indicated it might
be a good idea to wait for it if possible.

Joe

Thu, 13 May 2004 09:30:54 GMT
 Porting Java App To VB
"Joseph T. Adams" wrote

 > However, VB.NET will be *much* closer to Java in terms of capabilities
 > and design patterns.  I agree with the poster who indicated it might
 > be a good idea to wait for it if possible.

However, because C# and Java both are "C-like" in heritage, wouldn't C# be a
better candidate for a Java port than VB.NET?

Thu, 13 May 2004 11:13:47 GMT
 Porting Java App To VB
: "Joseph T. Adams" wrote

:  > However, VB.NET will be *much* closer to Java in terms of capabilities
:  > and design patterns.  I agree with the poster who indicated it might
:  > be a good idea to wait for it if possible.

: However, because C# and Java both are "C-like" in heritage, wouldn't C# be a
: better candidate for a Java port than VB.NET?

VB.NET and C# are so similar in terms of functionality that they're
almost a wash.  C# is superficially much more similar to Java, so it
certainly would be an acceptable choice.

However, if it were me, I'd still lean toward VB.NET, because it is
essentially the fusion of many of the best parts of VB and Java, and
should be easy to learn for both VB and Java developers, while C# will
seem odd for anyone without a Java or C++ background.  I also believe
it will be more popular and better supported for the same reason.

Joe

Fri, 14 May 2004 00:21:27 GMT

1. Porting VB to Java or Mac

2. Trouble Porting VB 3.0 SQLServer App to VB 4.0 and Oracle

3. Starting a Java app from a VB app

4. Starting a Java app from a VB app

5. Starting a Java app from a VB app

6. porting Local DB app to internet DB app?

7. Porting multi-component VB6 apps to VB.NET?

8. Porting VB app to C++

9. Aretmis Data Control - Porting Clipper Apps to VB

10. Tools for porting SQLWindows apps to VB

11. Porting VB app to C++

12. Porting VB apps onto Windows NT