IE control and auto download?
Author Message
 IE control and auto download?

Is there a way to avoid the download prompt when retrieving a file from
the internet?  I am trying to develop a program that checks for an
update file on the internet and if it exists then download it to a
directory automatically.  For some reason the inet control doesn't work
behind our firewall, but the ie control does.  Is it possible, or am I
out of luck.

TIA

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:06:05 GMT
 IE control and auto download?

Quote:

> Is there a way to avoid the download prompt when retrieving a file from
> the internet?  I am trying to develop a program that checks for an
> update file on the internet and if it exists then download it to a
> directory automatically.  For some reason the inet control doesn't work
> behind our firewall, but the ie control does.  Is it possible, or am I
> out of luck.

Microsoft has done everything they possibly can to make it
impossible to download a file without the end user being
very much aware of it. Part of that is forcing the download
prompt. This is to fight the email virii that run automatically
in Outlook/Outlook Express. Good luck on that one.

Terry Austin

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:34:18 GMT
 IE control and auto download?

Quote:

> Is there a way to avoid the download prompt when retrieving a file from
> the internet?  I am trying to develop a program that checks for an
> update file on the internet and if it exists then download it to a
> directory automatically.  For some reason the inet control doesn't work
> behind our firewall, but the ie control does.  Is it possible, or am I
> out of luck.

> TIA

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Yes you can download automatically without prompts. I've just finished a
beta program that will automatically downloads pictures from a given URL. In
it you can set three parameters and a filename tag as I call it to rename
the files saved in download. If you know of a link to files in a repetative
order, like 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg, or pic1.jpg, pic2.jpg, pic3.jpg ect... you
can set the range from 1 to whatever, the picture type (jpg, gif, ect) , a
common name before the number like "pic", and set a name tag which will be
added to the beginning of each filename when it is saved like the name
"great" so that all files saved will have "great" before it and look like
this (greatpic1.jpg). This lets you create new filenames that would
otherwise have the same filename when trying to save them to the same
directory.

If anyone wants a copy of this beta Internet Picture Grabber send me an
email and I will send it to you.

But anyway back on your question of how to download without a prompt. I did
it with the Inet control...

'Create a new project with a Form1. On the form put a Command1 button, Text1
textbox, and Inet1 control and a Label1.
'Copy and paste this code into the Command1 click event.

''''''''''''
Dim geturl1 As String, urldata1() As Byte
Label1.Caption = "Downloading ..."
geturl1 = Text1.Text
urldata1() = Inet1.OpenURL(geturl1, icByteArray)
Open "Update.txt" For Binary Access Write As #1
Put #1, , urldata1()
Close #1
If Inet1.StillExecuting = False Then
Label1.Caption = "Download Complete !"
End If

''''''''''''
The URL to the file you want to download is placed into Text1.Text.
The (Open "Update.txt") is what the name of the file that you download will
be saved as. Rename this to the actual filename of the file you are
downloading if you want it to be exact. With just a filename it will be
saved into the same directory as the program is running. Place an entire
path to save it somewhere else, like (Open "C:\Temp\Update.txt").

I can't help ya with your firewall problem. Maybe a search at microsoft for
the reason or fix to that.

/////////////bOt/////////////
http://www.dataemissions.com

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 05:33:22 GMT
 IE control and auto download?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 IE control and auto download?
Try OpenURL :-)

Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:33:32 GMT

1. Outlook express won't auto-download when called from MAPIMessages control

2. IE Web Browser Control - Auto Complete not working

3. Utility for removal of IE downloaded Active-X Controls

4. Help as to why my ActiveX control won't download thru IE

5. using inet transfer control to download to ie cache

6. IE 3.02 wont display downloaded CAB control

7. MS Active X control downloads OK but home grown Active X Control will not download

8. MS Active X control downloads OK but home grown Active X Control will not download

9. Auto Download of doc files into new doc file from a web site

10. auto download file from the web

11. Auto Download HTML save as mht file

12. auto download