The way VB/Crystal report use an Access DB
Author Message
 The way VB/Crystal report use an Access DB

I got an apps that use VB 4.0, Crystal Reports 4.5 and Access 7.0

I generate some reports using Crystal Reports started from a VB program
using Access DB.  On the Access DB I create a table that exactly maps the
need of the report. The way app work is: 1. Stat a Select Query from VB
that search the data I need, dump those data in the Access table, then
starts the Crystal reports.

The procedure work, but the behavior I observe on Access DB is that the
size of the DB itself grows each time I lauch the report generation about
200K. The only way I decide to use to resolve is a compact database issue.
Not very well in a production environment.

Question is : Is that a normal behaviour or Access/CR ... ?
                   Is there any method to avoid the expansion of the DB ?

One more question : is it possible to fit in the CR Report the system hour
..?

Thank you for the kindly attention.

Ciao, Luc

Fri, 03 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 The way VB/Crystal report use an Access DB

says...

Quote:
> I got an apps that use VB 4.0, Crystal Reports 4.5 and Access 7.0

> I generate some reports using Crystal Reports started from a VB program
> using Access DB.  On the Access DB I create a table that exactly maps the
> need of the report. The way app work is: 1. Stat a Select Query from VB
> that search the data I need, dump those data in the Access table, then
> starts the Crystal reports.

> The procedure work, but the behavior I observe on Access DB is that the
> size of the DB itself grows each time I lauch the report generation about
> 200K. The only way I decide to use to resolve is a compact database issue.
> Not very well in a production environment.

> Question is : Is that a normal behaviour or Access/CR ... ?
>                    Is there any method to avoid the expansion of the DB ?

Access doesn't perform a real delete if you clear your report-data after
printing - it just marks this data as deleted. Compacting an Access-DB
means deleting these marked records. So you could get what you need if
you don't delete after printing but update the records each time you
print. (and hold a kind of "end of actual data" -record). just try.

ciao bernd

Tue, 14 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. The way VB/Crystal report use an Access DB

2. Getting list of reports and printing from Access DB using VB

3. Crystal Report using it w/o DB

4. Help with Crystal Reports and Access DB

5. How to change MS Access DB name in Crystal Report

6. Crystal Reports ANd VB 6.0 Printing reports using CRPEAUTO Object, specifying paper orientation problem

7. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

8. Printing report from Dynaset using Crystal Report and VB

9. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

10. Using access DB with Crystal.Net

11. Problem using Crystal report ActiveX installed with VB and used in VC.

12. Accessing Access DB with password using VB 6.0