VB vs Delphi vs VC++ 
Author Message
 VB vs Delphi vs VC++

Hi,

I'm looking for some information that can help me to choose
the right language in order to develop Windows-based (3.1, NT or 95)
applications.

Thanks in advance for your help.

      Xavier.



Sat, 27 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB vs Delphi vs VC++
I currently use VB, Delphi and C(C++) for Windows programming.  The way I
look at is as follows:

        VB is good for small applications that need to be written quickly
        and by relatively inexperienced programmers.  Not to say only
        inexperienced programmers use VB, but it is easier to learn and
        get an application running using VB.  The primary disadvantage to
        VB is that it is resource intensive and does not easily support
        some programming constructs that might be required for a complex
        application.

        Delphi is based on Object Pascal, if you know Pascal and
        understand object-oriented concepts, you can write a fairly
        complex application quickly.  The documentation is weak in
        describing object-oriented concepts using Object Pascal.  If
        you want to write in Delphi, get a good book.  Delphi is        
        compiled and does a good job of hiding much of the Windows
        API, however some API programming may be needed to perform
        some complex functions.  A good intermediate Windows language.

        C++ is still the only way to go for large complex applcations.
        With C++ you get full control over the application, nothing is
        hidden, but for this control you get complexity.  Use C++ if
        your applcation has stringent performance requirements or if it
        is doing something "low-level".  It will take longer to
        develope a program using C++, but you can do more.

Also consider mixed language applications.  Use VB or Delphi for their
strengths and C++ to write performance critical DLL's.

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Glenn D. Jones                         | Debugging Specialist
Cooperative Knowledge, Inc             |


----------------------------------------------------------------------



Sun, 28 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB vs Delphi vs VC++

Quote:

>I currently use VB, Delphi and C(C++) for Windows programming.  The way I
>look at is as follows:

[Snip VB & Delphi]

Quote:
>    C++ is still the only way to go for large complex applcations.
>    With C++ you get full control over the application, nothing is
>    hidden, but for this control you get complexity.  Use C++ if
>    your applcation has stringent performance requirements or if it
>    is doing something "low-level".  It will take longer to
>    develope a program using C++, but you can do more.
>Also consider mixed language applications.  Use VB or Delphi for their
>strengths and C++ to write performance critical DLL's.

Sorry Glenn but that's nonsense. Delphi has all the flexibility that C++
has, including the ability to write your own message loops. Some C++
heads complain about the lack of MI and operator overloading, but those
are in the "stupid tricks" box if you ask me. Delphi beats C++ hands down.

Luke
--
Luke Webber

* Note: The opinions expressed by Luke Webber are in no way supported *
*       by his employers, Luke Webber Consulting Services             *



Mon, 29 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB vs Delphi vs VC++

Quote:

>         Delphi is based on Object Pascal, if you know Pascal and
>         understand object-oriented concepts, you can write a fairly
>         complex application quickly.  The documentation is weak in
>         describing object-oriented concepts using Object Pascal.  If
>         you want to write in Delphi, get a good book.  Delphi is
>         compiled and does a good job of hiding much of the Windows
>         API, however some API programming may be needed to perform
>         some complex functions.  A good intermediate Windows language.

>         C++ is still the only way to go for large complex applcations.
>         With C++ you get full control over the application, nothing is
>         hidden, but for this control you get complexity.  Use C++ if
>         your applcation has stringent performance requirements or if it
>         is doing something "low-level".  It will take longer to
>         develope a program using C++, but you can do more.

Delphi's main strength is that it can be used for extremely large applications
as well. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by choosing C++ over Delphi,
except for perhaps portability (which you can pretty much rule out, if you want
OS specific user interface).

Delphi makes it easy to make use of hundreds of components in your app, without
loosing track of them (the component palette is great).

Quote:
> Also consider mixed language applications.  Use VB or Delphi for their
> strengths and C++ to write performance critical DLL's.

And you won't gain any performance from C++ either. Delphi has a good compiler,
which pretty much uses every trick in the book. It looses out some, because it's
not smart enough to make heavy use of CPU registries (we're talking nanoseconds here),
but Delphi 2.0 (March 1st) shares compiler backend with BC++ 5.0, and will thus
produce equal machine code but faster.

The advantage of doing it all in Delphi, is that debugging becomes so much simpler!

Delphi is better at
 - form design
 - component management
 - has near-equal C++ performance (will become as good as or better with 2.0)
 - component design - roll your own component!
 - encapsulating the Windows API (which will make it easy to port Delphi code in the
   not so distant future)
 - accessing the Windows API (include "uses winprocs" and you don't need to declare
   the API functions like you have to do with VB - no performance wasted doing so)
 - data controls. Work with the database, view tables/SQL queries and see how they
   look/affect your database controls while still designing the form

--
=\

=/



Tue, 30 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB vs Delphi vs VC++

Quote:

>Hi,

>I'm looking for some information that can help me to choose
>the right language in order to develop Windows-based (3.1, NT or 95)
>applications.

If you need to be able to work on multiple platforms then
C++ is the only choice.  Unfortunately for Windows interface
development C++ sucks because none of the compiler vendors have
come up with a Visual development environment.

If this is for novice programmers then VB is the tool to use.
VB is the easiest tool to use use to create simple to moderate
Windows applications.  Unfortunately VB is slow and the BASIC
programming language is very limiting for complete applications.
Both C++ and Delphi are OO development tools while VB is not.
If you need to use complete data structures like trees and queue
or want to do parsing VB is not the tool to use.

Delphi lies in the middle.  It has a visual development environment
that is functionally equivalent to VB's.  The Object Pascal language
supports most of the OO features of C++. The most obvious missing
features or multiple inheritance and operator overloading.  You
can do complex programming in Delphi and it is much faster than VB.
Unfortunately Delphi is not for beginnering programmers.  In VB you don't
need to know about programming concepts such a pointers.  In Delphi
you have to.  For experienced programmers doing Windows development
Delphi is the way to go.

John

------------------------------------------------------------
OVERTHROW THE AMERICAN LEGAL SYSTEM -- DON'T SERVE ON JURIES
Use any excuse to get out.  Tell them you advocate
{*filter*} overthrow of the government...whatever it takes.
If we can stop them from getting jurors then we can do
to the lawyers what they've been doing to us.
The American Legal System:
   Of the lawyers, by the lawyers, for the lawyers
------------------------------------------------



Fri, 03 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB vs Delphi vs VC++

Quote:

> Unfortunately Delphi is not for beginnering programmers.  In VB you don't
> need to know about programming concepts such a pointers.  In Delphi
> you have to.  For experienced programmers doing Windows development
> Delphi is the way to go.

Hmm... True, there are more features in Delphi, but it's pretty
equal to VB when doing ordinary stuff. You have a form, put some
components on it, write event handlers and thus use it just the
way you'd use VB! When programming, it's almost similar to VB
(with Option Explicit turned on), except that the syntax is slightly
different. Plenty of examples, so the learning curve is almost flat...

(and Delphi is more than adequate to handle *large* development
projects, specially when compared to C++)

--
=\

=/



Sat, 04 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB vs Delphi vs VC++

Okay I'm sold.  Now how do I get a hold of someone who works for
Borland and can sell me a "promotional copy."  Or else, I'm willing to
trade my very slightly used VB Pro 4.0 (CD) upgrade for a Delphi 2.0
Desktop edition.

George


Quote:

>> Unfortunately Delphi is not for beginnering programmers.  In VB you don't
>> need to know about programming concepts such a pointers.  In Delphi
>> you have to.  For experienced programmers doing Windows development
>> Delphi is the way to go.
>Hmm... True, there are more features in Delphi, but it's pretty
>equal to VB when doing ordinary stuff. You have a form, put some
>components on it, write event handlers and thus use it just the
>way you'd use VB! When programming, it's almost similar to VB
>(with Option Explicit turned on), except that the syntax is slightly
>different. Plenty of examples, so the learning curve is almost flat...
>(and Delphi is more than adequate to handle *large* development
>projects, specially when compared to C++)
>--
>=\

>=/

===============================================================================
 George R. Torralba              xxxxxxxxxxxx                  Batang Cebu!!!
 Seattle, Washington             206.241.2801              MIME mail accepted
===============================================================================


Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB vs Delphi vs VC++

: Okay I'm sold.  Now how do I get a hold of someone who works for
: Borland and can sell me a "promotional copy."  Or else, I'm willing to
: trade my very slightly used VB Pro 4.0 (CD) upgrade for a Delphi 2.0
: Desktop edition.

GT, You probably already know but if not, visit some of the Delphi
newsgroups, and ask some questions. Chances are the answers you get
will convince you Delphi's street price is cheap... :-)

Check out comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc, comp.lang.pascal.delphi.components,
comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases

BTW, don't be surprized if you see a few familiar names from the old VB
group of long ago...  :)

- Galen -



Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB vs Delphi vs VC++

I'll check that out.  I knew the name/address looked familiar. Thanks.

George


Quote:
>: Okay I'm sold.  Now how do I get a hold of someone who works for
>: Borland and can sell me a "promotional copy."  Or else, I'm willing to
>: trade my very slightly used VB Pro 4.0 (CD) upgrade for a Delphi 2.0
>: Desktop edition.
>GT, You probably already know but if not, visit some of the Delphi
>newsgroups, and ask some questions. Chances are the answers you get
>will convince you Delphi's street price is cheap... :-)
>Check out comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc, comp.lang.pascal.delphi.components,
>comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases
>BTW, don't be surprized if you see a few familiar names from the old VB
>group of long ago...  :)
>- Galen -


===============================================================================
 George R. Torralba              xxxxxxxxxxxx                  Batang Cebu!!!
 Seattle, Washington             206.241.2801              MIME mail accepted
===============================================================================


Tue, 07 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. 3rd party tools for VB vs VC vs VC++

2. VB vs VB Prof vs Delphi

3. vb vs vb4 vs delphi 2

4. (VFP 3.0 vs 5.0) vs Delphi and Visual Basic

5. VisualBasic vs PowerBuilder vs Delphi

6. Newbie confused: VB6 vs VB.Net vs VBScript vs VBA

7. Newbie confused: VB6 vs VB.Net vs VBscript vs VBA

8. VB.Net vs Delphi

9. VB.NET vs DELPHI another perspective

10. VB.NET vs DELPHI

11. vb vs delphi

12. Delphi vs VB

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software