Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE
Author Message
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE

I have to create a form for my Visual Basic class and i don't know how to do
what the instructor wants.  The following is what is being asked of me:

1)  (20 points) Create a form for the holidays.  This form should have a

Quote:
>button for the user to push and a display only area.  Each time the button
>is pressed, up to five different greetings should be displayed.  Only one
>greeting is displayed at a time.  The greetings should change according to
>the number of times the button has been pressed.  After the 5th time, you
>should return back to the first greeting.  The greetings should be:

>Button pressed first time :  "Happy Holidays"
>Button pressed second time:  "Season's Greetings"
>Button pressed third time:  "Merry Christmas"
>Button pressed fourth time:  "Happy New Year"
>Button pressed fifth time:  "Peace on Earth"

Could someone please help?  Thanks in advance

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE
You need to study more :)

-Dan Beacom

Quote:
>I have to create a form for my visual basic class and i don't know how to do
>what the instructor wants.  The following is what is being asked of me:

>1)  (20 points) Create a form for the holidays.  This form should have a
>>button for the user to push and a display only area.  Each time the button
>>is pressed, up to five different greetings should be displayed.  Only one
>>greeting is displayed at a time.  The greetings should change according to
>>the number of times the button has been pressed.  After the 5th time, you
>>should return back to the first greeting.  The greetings should be:

>>Button pressed first time :  "Happy Holidays"
>>Button pressed second time:  "Season's Greetings"
>>Button pressed third time:  "Merry Christmas"
>>Button pressed fourth time:  "Happy New Year"
>>Button pressed fifth time:  "Peace on Earth"

>Could someone please help?  Thanks in advance

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE
 Use counter and If statement or Select Case check for value and print
Greeting or change label.caption Try to get logic first then do code.
This program is very simple just put you head to it!
 You do not want to see my final !

Quote:
>I have to create a form for my visual basic class and i don't know how to do
>what the instructor wants.  The following is what is being asked of me:

>1)  (20 points) Create a form for the holidays.  This form should have a
>>button for the user to push and a display only area.  Each time the button
>>is pressed, up to five different greetings should be displayed.  Only one
>>greeting is displayed at a time.  The greetings should change according to
>>the number of times the button has been pressed.  After the 5th time, you
>>should return back to the first greeting.  The greetings should be:

>>Button pressed first time :  "Happy Holidays"
>>Button pressed second time:  "Season's Greetings"
>>Button pressed third time:  "Merry Christmas"
>>Button pressed fourth time:  "Happy New Year"
>>Button pressed fifth time:  "Peace on Earth"

>Could someone please help?  Thanks in advance

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE
As a Visual Basic instructor at a community college, if you cannot
do this, you deserve to fail.

RGT

Quote:
(Djkevind) writes:
>I have to create a form for my visual basic class and i don't know how to do
>what the instructor wants.  The following is what is being asked of me:

>1)  (20 points) Create a form for the holidays.  This form should have a
>>button for the user to push and a display only area.  Each time the button
>>is pressed, up to five different greetings should be displayed.  Only one
>>greeting is displayed at a time.  The greetings should change according to
>>the number of times the button has been pressed.  After the 5th time, you
>>should return back to the first greeting.  The greetings should be:

>>Button pressed first time :  "Happy Holidays"
>>Button pressed second time:  "Season's Greetings"
>>Button pressed third time:  "Merry Christmas"
>>Button pressed fourth time:  "Happy New Year"
>>Button pressed fifth time:  "Peace on Earth"

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE
yeah, it's easy if you have done it before.  It's instructors like you (ones
with bad attitudes) that deserve to be teaching at a community college and not
a university.  Thanks for nothing.  And i figured it out anyways....you punk!

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE
Bad profs will still be teaching while you're looking for a job so the best
thing to do is pick up the slack on your own when you're stuck taking classes
with them. It's been my observation that there are indeed a large population of
incompetent instructors, but you just gotta get over that (Not easy to do
sometimes) and press on with learning. It seems by the simplicity of the
assignment though that the fault for not knowing the solution must fall on you.
The material you've mentioned is covered in the first few chapters of any VB
text book. Were you taught about variables, selection, iteration, or arrays?
What is the name of your school? Just curious. Good luck on your final - I have
three tomorrow and one on Wend. The kids will be surprised to see me out of my
cell.

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

(Djkevind) writes:
>Thanks for nothing.  And i figured it out anyways....you punk!

Punk!?!  Wow, I don't think I've been called this in thirty years.

I'm glad you figured it out.
RGT

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE

Quote:

> yeah, it's easy if you have done it before.  It's instructors like you (ones
> with bad attitudes) that deserve to be teaching at a community college and not
> a university.  Thanks for nothing.  And i figured it out anyways....you punk!

He's not the one you have to worry about. I am.

You see, before you can get a job in the Real World, you have to go
through the HR department. HR people are notoriously easy to buffalo -
just throw a bunch of initials at them and they roll over in awe. (well, the
young ones anyhow.)

But then there comes the Technical Interview. Conducted by just plain
old employees like me. And you have to know your stuff. Oh, you can
bs your way past a technical interview if you can sling the slang... but we
also look for things like attitude - "Do I really want to work next to a
kid who doesn't do his own work?"

Good luck when you get out in the Real World - you're gonna need it.

Al
--
Al White
CIBER, Inc.

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE

Quote:

>I have to create a form for my visual basic class and i don't know how to do
>what the instructor wants.  The following is what is being asked of me:

>1)  (20 points) Create a form for the holidays.  This form should have a
>>button for the user to push and a display only area.  Each time the button
>>is pressed, up to five different greetings should be displayed.  Only one
>>greeting is displayed at a time.  The greetings should change according to
>>the number of times the button has been pressed.  After the 5th time, you
>>should return back to the first greeting.  The greetings should be:

>>Button pressed first time :  "Happy Holidays"
>>Button pressed second time:  "Season's Greetings"
>>Button pressed third time:  "Merry Christmas"
>>Button pressed fourth time:  "Happy New Year"
>>Button pressed fifth time:  "Peace on Earth"

Your best bet is to subclass the button looking for the WM_CHRISTMAS
message.  When you receive the WM_CHRISTMAS message look at the wParam
value.  That contains a pointer to a c-style string.  Go ahead and copy
the string to a visual basic byte array with 256 elements.

When the message from WM_CHRISTMAS is in the byte array, parse the array
character by character and use chr$() to convert the ANSI character to a
VB character.  You can append each character to a standard VB string.
Remember to stop when you receive a null value(0), or when the buffer is
fully parsed.

Finally, print the string value in the display area.

Matthew Cromer
President, SDA Consulting, Inc.

http://www.sdaconsulting.com

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE

writes:

Quote:
>But then there comes the Technical Interview. Conducted by just plain
>old employees like me. And you have to know your stuff. Oh, you can
>bs your way past a technical interview if you can sling the slang... but we
>also look for things like attitude - "Do I really want to work next to a
>kid who doesn't do his own work?"

>Good luck when you get out in the Real World - you're gonna need it.

That's why I created a programming test for a client I work for.  I'd
like to see someone bullshit their way through a programming test.

Matthew Cromer
President, SDA Consulting, Inc.

http://www.sdaconsulting.com

Sat, 25 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE
I love this suggestion.

I only wish I could watch this whelp try and implement it.

Quote:

> >I have to create a form for my visual basic class and i don't know
how to do
> >what the instructor wants.  The following is what is being asked of
me:

> >1)  (20 points) Create a form for the holidays.  This form should
have a
> >>button for the user to push and a display only area.  Each time the
button
> >>is pressed, up to five different greetings should be displayed.
Only one
> >>greeting is displayed at a time.  The greetings should change
according to
> >>the number of times the button has been pressed.  After the 5th
time, you
> >>should return back to the first greeting.  The greetings should be:

> >>Button pressed first time :  "Happy Holidays"
> >>Button pressed second time:  "Season's Greetings"
> >>Button pressed third time:  "Merry Christmas"
> >>Button pressed fourth time:  "Happy New Year"
> >>Button pressed fifth time:  "Peace on Earth"

> Your best bet is to subclass the button looking for the WM_CHRISTMAS
> message.  When you receive the WM_CHRISTMAS message look at the wParam
> value.  That contains a pointer to a c-style string.  Go ahead and
copy
> the string to a visual basic byte array with 256 elements.

> When the message from WM_CHRISTMAS is in the byte array, parse the
array
> character by character and use chr$() to convert the ANSI character
to a
> VB character.  You can append each character to a standard VB string.
> Remember to stop when you receive a null value(0), or when the buffer
is
> fully parsed.

> Finally, print the string value in the display area.

> Matthew Cromer
> President, SDA Consulting, Inc.

> http://www.sdaconsulting.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE

Get counter, for example: ctr=0

in click add 1 to ctr
if ctr=1 print first greeting else
if ctr=2 print next greeting else
if ctr=5 print next greeting

at some point check if ctr>5 if true
change  ctr to 1 or 0 , depends were you do the check

good luck
 I HOPE YOU GET GOOD VISUAL BASIC BOOK FOR CHRISTMAS

Quote:
>I have to create a form for my visual basic class and i don't know how to do
>what the instructor wants.  The following is what is being asked of me:

>1)  (20 points) Create a form for the holidays.  This form should have a
>>button for the user to push and a display only area.  Each time the button
>>is pressed, up to five different greetings should be displayed.  Only one
>>greeting is displayed at a time.  The greetings should change according to
>>the number of times the button has been pressed.  After the 5th time, you
>>should return back to the first greeting.  The greetings should be:

>>Button pressed first time :  "Happy Holidays"
>>Button pressed second time:  "Season's Greetings"
>>Button pressed third time:  "Merry Christmas"
>>Button pressed fourth time:  "Happy New Year"
>>Button pressed fifth time:  "Peace on Earth"

>Could someone please help?  Thanks in advance

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE
Wouldn't you have to call RegisterWindowMessage first to register the
WM_CHRISTMAS message with the OS, then use PostMessage to put the custom
message in the message pump for that particular window?;)
Quote:
Posted At: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 8:13 AM
Posted To: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
Conversation: Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE
Subject: Re: Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE

I love this suggestion.

I only wish I could watch this whelp try and implement it.

> >I have to create a form for my visual basic class and i don't know
how to do
> >what the instructor wants.  The following is what is being asked of
me:

> >1)  (20 points) Create a form for the holidays.  This form should
have a
> >>button for the user to push and a display only area.  Each time the
button
> >>is pressed, up to five different greetings should be displayed.
Only one
> >>greeting is displayed at a time.  The greetings should change
according to
> >>the number of times the button has been pressed.  After the 5th
time, you
> >>should return back to the first greeting.  The greetings should be:

> >>Button pressed first time :  "Happy Holidays"
> >>Button pressed second time:  "Season's Greetings"
> >>Button pressed third time:  "Merry Christmas"
> >>Button pressed fourth time:  "Happy New Year"
> >>Button pressed fifth time:  "Peace on Earth"

> Your best bet is to subclass the button looking for the WM_CHRISTMAS
> message.  When you receive the WM_CHRISTMAS message look at the wParam
> value.  That contains a pointer to a c-style string.  Go ahead and
copy
> the string to a visual basic byte array with 256 elements.

> When the message from WM_CHRISTMAS is in the byte array, parse the
array
> character by character and use chr$() to convert the ANSI character
to a
> VB character.  You can append each character to a standard VB string.
> Remember to stop when you receive a null value(0), or when the buffer
is
> fully parsed.

> Finally, print the string value in the display area.

> Matthew Cromer
> President, SDA Consulting, Inc.

> http://www.sdaconsulting.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 26 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE

--
        Oh my god, it's a stupid thing, but take all the code and instructions:

        Firstly create a form, in it, you must put a control called Label.
After put another control called CommandButton under the label control.
        Do double click over 'Command1', and write this:

        Private Sub Command1_Click()

        static Cont as byte

        main:
        Select Case Cont
                case 0:
                        label1.caption="Happy Holidays"
                        cont=cont+1
                case 1:
                        label1.caption="Season's Greetings"
                        cont=cont+1
                case 2:
                        label1.caption="Merry Chirstmas"
                        cont=cont+1
                case 3:
                        label1.caption="Happy New Year"
                        cont=cont+1
                case 4:
                        label1.caption="Peace on Earth"
                        cont=cont+1
                case 5:
                        cont=0
                        goto main
        end select

        End Sub

        Are you happy? right.  But I tell you this: you have two ways:
forget VB, buy a good book and study it.
                                                Till next time.

                  ^^^^^^?
                (^^^^^^^^^)
                | ^^   ___\
                {(o)}   O )
                / ? }( )  /
               ( ?? |    /
                \_? /== )
                 (__^^__)

                        "I'm Toxie, and I'll tromatize you..."

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE
just wanted to say that i only wish my final (3 days ago) in VB was that
easy.

Fri, 31 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE

2. Visual Basic Final at School...HELP ME PLEASE!

3. Hard High School Visual Basic Class Home Work, Please

4. Visual Basic 5 Night School

5. Visual Basic Training for Middle School Students

6. comp.lang.basic.visual.misc, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

7. BETA RELEASE: Visual Basic IDE Power Tools 2.0.305 - Final

8. BETA RELEASE: Visual Basic IDE Power Tools 2.0.305 - Final

9. BETA RELEASE: Visual Basic IDE Power Tools 2.0.305 - Final

10. PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP,

11. Problem with my final macro (MVP help please)

12. Urgent ! Final year project- Please Help