Adjusting forms / controls for different screen resolutions.
Author Message
 Adjusting forms / controls for different screen resolutions.

Quote:
>I am trying to adjust the controls on a form so that if users are running under
>a different screen resolution than I am, the text boxes, labels, etc don't
>appear too big or small.  I have tried adjusting the top, left, height, width,
>fonttype of each control on a form load.  There must be a better way???
>Please help.

Mike:

What I do is make sure an app looks good at 640x480 and that it fits on the screen at that resolution.  Once it does, I consider all the control 'adjusted'.

At this resolution most controls/text/etc. looks big and it should, especially if a large monitor (17+") is being used.  When an app is used at a higher resolution, the controls/text/etc. should look smaller, even on a large monitor.  There's nothing that can be done about someone trying to run at 1024x768 on a 14" monitor -- things are just going to look small.

Few of my apps do drawing.  A control that supports drawing (especially as input) may have to be tweaked at run-time to look 'right', but these are the exception, not the rule.

//---------
  Lee Silver
  Information Concepts Inc.
  Software Resellers - We design and develop multi-platform
  tools in less time, that are more maintainable that what
  can be developed in-house.  We support what we develop.

Mon, 25 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Adjusting forms / controls for different screen resolutions.
I am trying to adjust the controls on a form so that if users are running under
a different screen resolution than I am, the text boxes, labels, etc don't
appear too big or small.  I have tried adjusting the top, left, height, width,
fonttype of each control on a form load.  There must be a better way???
Please help.

- Mike

Mon, 25 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Adjusting forms / controls for different screen resolutions.

writes

Quote:
>I am trying to adjust the controls on a form so that if users are running under
>a different screen resolution than I am, the text boxes, labels, etc don't
>appear too big or small.  I have tried adjusting the top, left, height, width,
>fonttype of each control on a form load.  There must be a better way???

There is.

Have a look at VSVBX.ZIP which includes an "elastic" container control,
and a lot more.

ftp.winsite.com /pub/pc/win3/programr/vbasic/vsvbx.zip
This is a old version (V4.0 - latest is V5.0) but is fully functional.

Richard Mason, Stevenage, UK

Thu, 28 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to adjust control sizes and dimensions to suit different screen resolutions

2. Adjusting controls to different screen-resolutions

3. Adjusting controls to different screen-resolutions

4. Adjusting VB for different screen resolutions

5. Adjust forms to users' screen resolution

6. VB 3.0 help: adjusting control size to screen resolution

7. Adjusting forms and controls upon system resolution

8. Rezing Forms for Different Screen Resolutions

9. Any technique to display window form in different screen resolution

10. Forms in different screen resolutions

11. Sizing controls in different screen resolutions?

12. Adjust to screen resolution