Anyone ever serial interfaced with a radio scanner?
Author Message
 Anyone ever serial interfaced with a radio scanner?

Hola,
I have a radio scanner (bc780xlt) and I am attempting to write a VB program to
interface with it through the serial port. The idea of the program is just to
pull data off the scanner such as frequency data. I know this can be done
because there are several commercial versions available, but I want to make my
own so it'll work the way I want and have only the features I need, etc.. So
anyway, I connected to it in QBasic on com2 and I sent a random letter to it,
it replied (I think) with "ERR" (though that mightve been a qb error code
instead). Now, when I try to do this in VB using the mscomm control I get no
reply from the scanner. I am connecting something like:
-
sub open()
mscomm1.openport = true
mscomm1.output = "1"
do
text1.text = text1.text + mscomm1.input
loop
end sub
-
or something to that effect anyway just to see if it works before i do a full
program. so far I have been unable to get any reply from the scanner though. so
does anyone know some good comm tutorials that focus more on serial
communications instead of the ever-popular modem work? or better yet, can
someone point me to source for some scanning software so I can try to figure it
out that way because I haven't been able to find anything. (unfortunately in
scanning, programming means entering frequencies into the scanner, which makes
searching for info on the subject difficult)
Yep, thats about it
Thanks

Kregi

Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:51:00 GMT
 Anyone ever serial interfaced with a radio scanner?
http://www.geocities.com/dfw1417/

u should trying searching the internet some time, it actually not that hard.

is this in blue underline?

Sat, 27 Dec 2003 13:51:20 GMT
 Anyone ever serial interfaced with a radio scanner?
It will be very difficult to communicate to the scanner if you don't know
what codes to send to it to talk. There could be millions of possibilities.
Obviously if you have the circuit diragrams of the scanner and/or you have
attached your own microprocessor then you should know what codes it needs to
talk.

Make sure that you have connected to the right pins of the serial port. Are
you using a 'null modem connection' or a 'straight connection'?. With the
MSComm control you will have to set it's configuration. Baud rate, parity
etc. There is sample code that comes with VB called vbterm - check it out on
the correct syntax to use. Talking to a modem is exactly the same, except a
modem needs it's commands all starting with AT - for example ATM0 will turn
off the speaker of the modem. Try it in the advanced settings of your modem
properties setup.

Regards.

Steve.

Quote:
> Hola,
> I have a radio scanner (bc780xlt) and I am attempting to write a VB
program to
> interface with it through the serial port. The idea of the program is just
> pull data off the scanner such as frequency data. I know this can be done
> because there are several commercial versions available, but I want to
make my
> own so it'll work the way I want and have only the features I need, etc..
So
> anyway, I connected to it in QBasic on com2 and I sent a random letter to
it,
> it replied (I think) with "ERR" (though that mightve been a qb error code
> instead). Now, when I try to do this in VB using the mscomm control I get
no
> reply from the scanner. I am connecting something like:
> -
> sub open()
> mscomm1.openport = true
> mscomm1.output = "1"
> do
> text1.text = text1.text + mscomm1.input
> loop
> end sub
> -
> or something to that effect anyway just to see if it works before i do a
full
> program. so far I have been unable to get any reply from the scanner
though. so
> does anyone know some good comm tutorials that focus more on serial
> communications instead of the ever-popular modem work? or better yet, can
> someone point me to source for some scanning software so I can try to
figure it
> out that way because I haven't been able to find anything. (unfortunately
in
> scanning, programming means entering frequencies into the scanner, which
makes
> searching for info on the subject difficult)
> Yep, thats about it
> Thanks

> Kregi

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 04:06:41 GMT

1. retrieving and storing information from a radio scanner on a specific frequency

2. Radio Interface software

3. TWAIN HP/Scanner Interface

4. scanner interface

5. VB5 Scanner interface...

6. Scanner Interface

7. I want to be able to write a VB program to interface to my scanner

8. Has anyone ever notice this?

9. Anyone ever heard of

10. Anyone ever heard of

11. Anyone ever heard of POWER-BASIC