Seeking Advice Learning VB vs C#
Author Message
 Seeking Advice Learning VB vs C#

I am looking to learn programming (no prior knowledge) and will try the self
taught way..meaning reading books and using the product in the evenings
after my day job (MCSE doing network integration).  I have purchased Visual
Studio.NET Professional.  My initial thoughts were to start  learning
programming using VB and then move on to C#.  A friend suggested that I
should start to learn programming with C# and skip VB.  My concern is that
the C language will be too dificult a language to start the process of
learning programming on but I don't have any prior experience with either
product or programming in general to make an educated decision.

I need to choose one or the other to commit my book purchases and study time
allocation to.  Any advice regarding which language, Visual Basic.NET versus
Visual C#.NET,  to begin my learning programming with is appreciated.

If I have posted here incorrectly please let me know which newsgroup I
should have used.

Thanks,

Mitch

Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:26:12 GMT
 Seeking Advice Learning VB vs C#
I think the decision should be based on the area of programming you wish to
learn and/or eventually start a career in.  What type of programming are you
interested in?  While either language can be used for most any program most
people tend to use VB for business applications or general purpose programs.  C#
is more common with video games, data aquisition (I use VB myself)  etc.  I
would not start with one or the other based only on whats easier to learn.  It's
a long term lesson.  You will continue to learn over the years.  Chose your area
of programming interest and then choose which language best suits that area for
you.
Quote:

> I am looking to learn programming (no prior knowledge) and will try the self
> taught way..meaning reading books and using the product in the evenings
> after my day job (MCSE doing network integration).  I have purchased Visual
> Studio.NET Professional.  My initial thoughts were to start  learning
> programming using VB and then move on to C#.  A friend suggested that I
> should start to learn programming with C# and skip VB.  My concern is that
> the C language will be too dificult a language to start the process of
> learning programming on but I don't have any prior experience with either
> product or programming in general to make an educated decision.

> I need to choose one or the other to commit my book purchases and study time
> allocation to.  Any advice regarding which language, Visual Basic.NET versus
> Visual C#.NET,  to begin my learning programming with is appreciated.

> If I have posted here incorrectly please let me know which newsgroup I
> should have used.

> Thanks,

> Mitch

Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:24:57 GMT
 Seeking Advice Learning VB vs C#

Quote:

> I am looking to learn programming (no prior knowledge) and will try
> the self taught way..meaning reading books and using the product in
> the evenings after my day job (MCSE doing network integration).  I
> have purchased Visual Studio.NET Professional.  My initial thoughts
> were to start  learning programming using VB and then move on to C#.
> A friend suggested that I should start to learn programming with C#
> and skip VB.  My concern is that the C language will be too dificult
> a language to start the process of learning programming on but I
> don't have any prior experience with either product or programming in
> general to make an educated decision.

> I need to choose one or the other to commit my book purchases and
> study time allocation to.  Any advice regarding which language,
> Visual Basic.NET versus Visual C#.NET,  to begin my learning
> programming with is appreciated.

> If I have posted here incorrectly please let me know which newsgroup I
> should have used.

> Thanks,

> Mitch

Hi

This newsgroup is OT really, you need to look for newsgroups with dotnet in
their name, but I would reccomend C#. It has great syntactic beauty, and
isn't that much harder to learn. It will also stand you in good stead if you
want to dip into C++ in the future.

--
Max Bolingbroke
http://www.bolingbroke.net/novanet/

Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:41:38 GMT

1. Professor seeks advice on VB 5.0 vs. 6.0

2. Professor seeks advice on 5.0 vs. 6.0

3. Professor seeks advice on 5.0 vs. 6.0

4. Professor seeks advice on 5.0 vs. 6.0

5. VB vs C# vs C++

6. Advice on project organization in C# + VB environment

7. VB and C# are the SAME, just pick one and you learn the other anyway

8. My free site for VB Developers who want to learn C#

9. My free site for VB Developers who want to learn C#

10. My free site for VB Developers who want to learn C#

11. My free site for VB Developers who want to learn C#

12. Seeking advice about looping code in VB.