How to build a Web based database program in Visual Basic
Author Message
 How to build a Web based database program in Visual Basic

The company I work for wants me to modify our current VB5 payroll
software to use a database, basically so it could be multi-user. Then
(later) move that to a Web-based application.
        The current software is used by our clients so they can input their
payroll and then send the file to use for check printing, then they get
the file back and start input for the next payroll.
        They want the database version to do the same thing (send the file back
and forth). And they want the web based software to do everything live
on the Internet tying directly into a main database.

        What database should I use? What interface? What web server?

        HELP!!!!

--

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build a Web based database program in Visual Basic

I'm not sure on the best database to use for this.  maybe the ASCII would be
good.   But for the web, I'd try creating a CGI that the users would use to
input their data to your database and read from it.  Download the CGI32.BAS
file from teh web.  I've used it a few times with VB5

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build a Web based database program in Visual Basic

Hi John

Quote:
>    What database should I use? What interface? What web server?

>    HELP!!!!

I know the feeling, I've been asked to do similar things in the past.
The main factor in your decision of how to write the software would be
the Internet connection. If you are going to run your own web server,
you have a much easier choice of software, basically you can run
anything written in VB over the web from there. I've used O'Reilly
Website in the past, and it comes with sample VB code, which I found a
lot easier than using CGI.

But most ISP's will not allow you to put your own written EXE's on
their servers if your site is hosted on there.

Also, consider whether they really want the access to be via the
Internet. If you could persuade them to dial direct to your server,
you could run a web server on NT with RAS to allow them to dial up.
It's easier for security, and you are free to set it up however you
like.

Hope that's given you some ideas and help.

John

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to build a Web based database program in Visual Basic

I have written a large volume of web based databases.  All I used was VB 4.0
to create the database, then using FrontPage 97 made the links and cgi
scripts to either add, remove, display, search etc.

That may be a quicker and easier way, if you know your way around SQL
statements.

Wayne

Tue, 15 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Web based and PC based program

2. Visual Basic built-in Install program problems

3. where can I find Info to build CGI program in Visual Basic

4. Looking for a program that can easily migrate Visual Basic to the Web

5. Web-Browser-Initiated Visual Basic/MS-Access Program

6. Using Word from a Visual Basic program launched from the web

7. Web Site on Winsock and Visual Basic programming updated

8. Web Site on Winsock and Visual Basic programming

9. Web-Browser-Initiated Visual Basic/MS-Access Program

10. Web Database with Access and Visual Basic.

11. dbase programming(basic) in relation to Visual Basic programming

12. Opening ADO database on the web via a Visual Basic 6 client