How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup
Author Message
 How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup

Using VB 6 enterprise

Using screen.mousepointer = vbhourglass

Several of the PC's my app's running on are very low spec - and NO they just can't upgrade them!

The problem is that although the very first statement in my Main() sub is "screen.mousepointer =
vbhourglass" it takes so long to load the all the files that the VB app needs to run theres about a
10 sec delay with before the hourglass is shown!

I would it like to change the moment the app is run!

Any ideas

Thanks

Adrian Harrison

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup

Add a DoEvents immediately after setting the mousepointer.

--
Alan Rueckgauer
Rueckgauer Systems

NOTE:  I do *NOT* read or respond to email replies to newsgroup postings.
Please reply only in the newsgroup so everyone can benefit from the
discussion.

=====

Quote:

>Using VB 6 enterprise

>Using screen.mousepointer = vbhourglass

>Several of the PC's my app's running on are very low spec - and NO they

just can't upgrade them!
Quote:

>The problem is that although the very first statement in my Main() sub is

"screen.mousepointer =
Quote:
>vbhourglass" it takes so long to load the all the files that the VB app

needs to run theres about a
Quote:
>10 sec delay with before the hourglass is shown!

>I would it like to change the moment the app is run!

>Any ideas

>Thanks

>Adrian Harrison

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup
Hi !

Try "DOEVENTS" immediately after using screen.mousepointer.

Ingo

Quote:
> Using VB 6 enterprise

> Using screen.mousepointer = vbhourglass

> Several of the PC's my app's running on are very low spec - and NO they

just can't upgrade them!
Quote:

> The problem is that although the very first statement in my Main() sub is

"screen.mousepointer =
Quote:
> vbhourglass" it takes so long to load the all the files that the VB app

needs to run theres about a
Quote:
> 10 sec delay with before the hourglass is shown!

> I would it like to change the moment the app is run!

> Any ideas

> Thanks

> Adrian Harrison

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup
Adrian,
Your problem may be that you are waiting for the GUI interface objects of
the VB runtime.

When you reference a mouse-pointer, you are telling VB to load the graphical
user interface objects, and you're waiting on those objects.
Not a problem on fast computers, but your speed challenged hardware makes it
stick out.

A better place would be in the Form_Paint event of the first form that
shows.  This is the first place you can get to code -after- the GUI has been
painted.

The Form_Load event can run your code, or the Sub Main() procedure, to
produce an hourglass, but anything that's done to the user interface cannot
be controlled, because VB is still cranking out the low-level job of loading
your executable and it's dependent objects.

A splash form, on the other hand, could be loaded first.  An API call can be
used to make it topmost, and anything that happens behind it isn't drawn by
the GUI.

:)
DonEMitchell

Quote:

>Using VB 6 enterprise

>Using screen.mousepointer = vbhourglass

>Several of the PC's my app's running on are very low spec - and NO they

just can't upgrade them!
Quote:

>The problem is that although the very first statement in my Main() sub is

"screen.mousepointer =
Quote:
>vbhourglass" it takes so long to load the all the files that the VB app

needs to run theres about a
Quote:
>10 sec delay with before the hourglass is shown!

>I would it like to change the moment the app is run!

>Any ideas

>Thanks

>Adrian Harrison

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup
As you say, it's the support stuff loading.
There's not much you can do about it, other than run another stub prog
(non-vb) to kick it off.
Personally, I don't think it's worth the bother.
Doevents certainly won't help.

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup
Quote:
>The problem is that although the very first statement in my Main() sub is

"screen.mousepointer =
Quote:
>vbhourglass" it takes so long to load the all the files that the VB app

needs to run theres about a

Quote:
>10 sec delay with before the hourglass is shown!

Use a
    DoEvents
immediately after setting your mousepointer. That will allow the screen to
update before executing any more code.

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup

put a DOEVENTS just after the screen.hourglass statement.

Quote:
> >The problem is that although the very first statement in my Main() sub
is
> "screen.mousepointer =
> >vbhourglass" it takes so long to load the all the files that the VB app
> needs to run theres about a
> >10 sec delay with before the hourglass is shown!

> Use a
>     DoEvents
> immediately after setting your mousepointer. That will allow the screen
> update before executing any more code.

Sat, 15 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup

2. How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup

3. Making my startup-app keep the focus/interference from other startup-apps

4. Exclamation sound during VB startup?

5. Flickering HourGlass during DDE

6. Flickering Hourglass during DDE

7. Cursor doesn't change to Hourglass

8. Hourglass cursor in standard outlook folder view (inbox) ?

9. Hourglass cursor in standard folder view (Inbox) ?

10. Change the cursor icon to hourglass?

11. Hourglass cursor in standard folder view (inbox) ?

12. How to set Hourglass cursor?