choose a color in a 256 color palette ?
Author Message
 choose a color in a 256 color palette ?

Hi,

I write a software that should work on a 256 color screen.
I want to create a Form with a very light red BackColor
( something like RGB(255,200,200) ).

But if I use RGB(255,250,250), the background appears like
a grainy color which is a mix of several colors of the
8-bit color palette.

I would better like a pure color from the 8-bit palette.
I'd like to find which color is the closest. How can I do
that ?

thanks for your help.

David.

--
David HAUBENSACK

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 16:56:50 GMT
 choose a color in a 256 color palette ?

Quote:
>Hi,

>I write a software that should work on a 256 color screen.
>I want to create a Form with a very light red BackColor
>( something like RGB(255,200,200) ).

>But if I use RGB(255,250,250), the background appears like
>a grainy color which is a mix of several colors of the
>8-bit color palette.

>I would better like a pure color from the 8-bit palette.
>I'd like to find which color is the closest. How can I do
>that ?

>thanks for your help.

>David.

>--
>David HAUBENSACK

From what I remember, this is about dithering. Apparently VB dithers
all it's colours. There is an API call to make sure VB uses "pure"
colour, perhaps you should look in this area.

JimInJoburg

Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:44:23 GMT
 choose a color in a 256 color palette ?
Intervals of 51 are Web-safe and should work on 256-color display (I think!)
 In hex that's any 00, 33, 66, 99, CC, FF
 For example:  FFCCCC
  You can't get subtle variations.
Quote:

>>Hi,

>>I write a software that should work on a 256 color screen.
>>I want to create a Form with a very light red BackColor
>>( something like RGB(255,200,200) ).

>>But if I use RGB(255,250,250), the background appears like
>>a grainy color which is a mix of several colors of the
>>8-bit color palette.

>>I would better like a pure color from the 8-bit palette.
>>I'd like to find which color is the closest. How can I do
>>that ?

>>thanks for your help.

>>David.

>>--
>>David HAUBENSACK

>From what I remember, this is about dithering. Apparently VB dithers
>all it's colours. There is an API call to make sure VB uses "pure"
>colour, perhaps you should look in this area.

>JimInJoburg

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:02:17 GMT

1. Using 256 color Palettes in High/True Color

2. Change Screen Color Palette from 256 to hi-color in VB

3. Bitmap Color Palette editing-VB4 16 bit 256 color

4. Coloring a control from a 256-Color palette

5. Coloring a control from a 256-Color palette

6. color palette not accessible in 256+ color settings

7. Bitmap Color Palette editing-VB4 16 bit 256 color

8. 256 Color Palette

9. halftone palette/256 colors

10. Custom 256-color palettes - how??

11. 256 color palette with VB controls

12. Still need help with palette for 256 color mode