Please Test this (Visual Basic Design Flaw)
Author Message
 Please Test this (Visual Basic Design Flaw)

Quote:
Solinsky) writes:
>Please, test this, and tell me that you got something different.  I'd
like
>to believe that this simple case is just a user error.  I'd like to
not
>try to work around the problem.

I certainly got something different. On paper the text was never
transparent (background was always white). The text was large (height
same as box) and bold on first page, Small (height was half of box) and
normal weight.

VB4.0 32 Bit on Windows 95, printing on HP DeskJet 520 with standard
Windows 95 Driver. I have no idea if the printer will do the
transparent printing but it sure did something different on pages after
the first.

Dick Berthold

Mon, 29 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Test this (Visual Basic Design Flaw)
I don't usually go out and scream "THere's a bug in the programming
language," but I tested it.

So, if you can, please copy the attached text to a .frm file and
run this form.  THe problem is that when printing the box with the
gray rectangle (and text over the rectangle), it prints fine to the form
and the picture box, and to paper, but ON THE SECOND PAGE of printing to
paper, it either whites out (fails to print the text in transparent mode)
the box behind the text, or in the case of a color printer it prints with
blue as the background (as opposed to white).
I tested this using the best driver appropriately for the Brother Laser/Fax
and also the Hewlett Packard 855C (which is a great printer).

Please, test this, and tell me that you got something different.  I'd like
to believe that this simple case is just a user error.  I'd like to not
try to work around the problem.
In your response (which I would prefer to go to this group), please tell me
your full configuration, including the version of Visual Basic, the OS version,
and the printer and printer driver.

I'll be sure to follow-up with any conclusive results.
By the way, I called that 30-days free, the guy on the other end claimed it
worked fine on his HP Laserjet 2.  Funny, that wasn't the case when I tried
it using that specific driver on that Brother Laser/Fax.  Oh well, I'm sure
he tried;  Oh, um, that's the 30-days free tech support line MS has for
visual basic.

-JOe Solinsky
PS: if you have to email a response, send it to:

Thanks.

Posted-Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 16:50:29 -0600
Received-Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 16:50:29 -0600
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 96 22:47:23 UT

VERSION 4.00
Begin VB.Form Form1
   Caption         =   "Form1"
   ClientHeight    =   7230
   ClientLeft      =   1140
   ClientTop       =   1515
   ClientWidth     =   8025
   Height          =   7635
   Left            =   1080
   LinkTopic       =   "Form1"
   ScaleHeight     =   7230
   ScaleWidth      =   8025
   Top             =   1170
   Width           =   8145
   Begin VB.CommandButton whichDevice
      Caption         =   "form1"
      Height          =   390
      Left            =   2610
      TabIndex        =   3
      Top             =   60
      Width           =   1785
   End
   Begin VB.PictureBox targetwin
      Height          =   6375
      Left            =   2535
      ScaleHeight     =   6315
      ScaleWidth      =   5325
      TabIndex        =   2
      Top             =   510
      Width           =   5385
   End
   Begin VB.CommandButton StopMe
      Caption         =   "Stop Me"
      Height          =   435
      Left            =   6210
      TabIndex        =   1
      Top             =   60
      Width           =   1410
   End
   Begin VB.CommandButton Print
      Caption         =   "Test Me"
      Height          =   390
      Left            =   4740
      TabIndex        =   0
      Top             =   90
      Width           =   1320
   End
End
Attribute VB_Name = "Form1"
Attribute VB_Creatable = False
Attribute VB_Exposed = False
Option Explicit

Dim objTarget As Object

Private Sub Form_Load()
Set objTarget = Form1
objTarget.Print
objTarget.Font = "impact"
objTarget.FontSize = 20
End Sub

Private Sub Print_Click()
Dim msg As String, y As Long
Dim black, gray, white
black = RGB(0, 0, 0)
white = RGB(255, 255, 255)
gray = RGB(200, 200, 200)
On Error GoTo printerr
msg = "Black text colored Backdrop"
objTarget.FillStyle = 0
objTarget.ForeColor = black
objTarget.FillColor = gray
'objtarget.BackColor = gray
y = objTarget.CurrentY
objTarget.Line (0, y)-(objTarget.TextWidth(msg) + 300,
objTarget.TextHeight(msg) + y), , B
objTarget.Print
objTarget.FillStyle = 1
objTarget.CurrentX = 0
objTarget.CurrentY = y
objTarget.Print msg

If TypeOf objTarget Is Printer Then
objTarget.NewPage
End If
On Error GoTo 0
Exit Sub

printerr:
MsgBox "objtarget error Joe."
End Sub

Private Sub StopMe_Click()
objTarget.EndDoc
End Sub

Private Sub whichDevice_Click()
If whichDevice.Caption = "form1" Then
    whichDevice.Caption = "targetwin"
    Set objTarget = targetwin
    objTarget.Print
    objTarget.Font = "impact"
    objTarget.FontSize = 20
    objTarget.Cls
    Exit Sub
End If

If whichDevice.Caption = "targetwin" Then
    whichDevice.Caption = "printer"
    Set objTarget = Printer
    objTarget.Print
    objTarget.Font = "impact"
    objTarget.FontSize = 20

    Exit Sub
End If
If whichDevice.Caption = "printer" Then
    whichDevice.Caption = "form1"
    Set objTarget = Form1
    objTarget.Print
    objTarget.Font = "impact"
    objTarget.FontSize = 20
    objTarget.Cls
End If
End Sub

Mon, 29 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Please Test this (Visual Basic Design Flaw)
I wasn't able to read the attachment, but I have found a pair of printer
object bugs. The first is that the FontTransparent property doesn't work
(I've tried on several HP lasers, both HPGL and postscript). The second
is that before you set the font at all you need to do a Printer.Print, so
each new page starts out with:

  Printer.Print
  Printer.CurrentX = 0
  Printer.CurrentY = 0

Quote:

>> Solinsky) writes:
>> >Please, test this, and tell me that you got something different.  I'd
>> like
>> >to believe that this simple case is just a user error.  I'd like to
>> not
>> >try to work around the problem.
>> I certainly got something different. On paper the text was never
>> transparent (background was always white). The text was large (height
>> same as box) and bold on first page, Small (height was half of box) and
>> normal weight.
>> VB4.0 32 Bit on Windows 95, printing on HP DeskJet 520 with standard
>> Windows 95 Driver. I have no idea if the printer will do the
>> transparent printing but it sure did something different on pages after
>> the first.
>>{*filter*} Berthold

Tue, 30 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please help us beta test our Visual Basic certification program

2. TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST

3. Access opening Excel sheet in visual basic design mode

4. Visual Basic design problem

5. Urgent help - Error while opening Form design view on MS Visual Basic.Net

6. visual basic and the design of icons

7. report scheduling design in visual basic

8. Visual Basic and software Design/Efficiency

9. Extended Database Design and Visual Basic 3/4

10. Applying the GOF Design Patterns In Visual Basic

11. Visual Basic Design Methodolgies???

12. Visual Basic Database design