Failure to Write a Random File record
Author Message
 Failure to Write a Random File record

On a few user's machines (W95 & 98) there has been
an occasional failure to write the last of several
records during my VB3 exe's "Save" procedure.
That procedure formats & saves three or more records
that the user has created. For example, if the records
to be saved in the random access file are
ABC     123       crlf
DEF     456       crlf
GHI     789       crlf
the first two will be written correctly but
the third is not written at all.
Normally, (99.99% of the time) all three are
correctly written.

Could this effect be due to Windows' Write-back
feature? As I understand it, this feature holds data
in RAM & writes it to disk when there is idle time.
Does anyone have experience with turning this feature
off?
Could bad memory, bad disk sectors or power fluctuations
cause the data loss?

Graham

Wed, 01 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Failure to write a rnadom access file record

2. Failure to Write a Record

3. reading binary file and writing into a random access file

4. Problem with length of written records (For Random)

5. random access file - write to file

6. Random access files - having and finding multiple types of record in one file

7. req: simple example random and file write (XBasic?)

8. open file for random LOCK READ WRITE as handle

9. need help writing to a random access file

10. Beginner: Problem writing to a random type file

11. Writing to Random Access file

12. Writing random file