ODBC vs ODBC API Calls
Author Message
 ODBC vs ODBC API Calls

The people of my team want to perform ODBC API calls to an Oracle server
from a VB app instead of using standard ODBC calls. The ODBC API calls may
be fast but it looks like a maintenance nightmare. Most of our tables have
alot of fields and performing an API call to retrieve each field after the
record is read seems like alot of overhead. Any positive comments will be
appreciated as to pros and cons of these 2 methods.

Thanks
Bil

Sat, 05 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC vs ODBC API Calls

Quote:

> The people of my team want to perform ODBC API calls to an Oracle server
> from a VB app instead of using standard ODBC calls. The ODBC API calls may
> be fast but it looks like a maintenance nightmare. Most of our tables have
> alot of fields and performing an API call to retrieve each field after the
> record is read seems like alot of overhead. Any positive comments will be
> appreciated as to pros and cons of these 2 methods.

> Thanks
> Bil

Get your hands on a copy of the June 1996 issue of the Visual Basic
Programmers Journal.  You'll get all the pros and cons you'll every want
about this topic.
--
Scott Snavely          -><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-

PPG Industries, Inc.   -><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-
http://www.ppg.com

Tue, 08 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC vs ODBC API Calls

Quote:

>> The people of my team want to perform ODBC API calls to an Oracle server
>> from a VB app instead of using standard ODBC calls. The ODBC API calls may
>> be fast but it looks like a maintenance nightmare. Most of our tables have
>> alot of fields and performing an API call to retrieve each field after the
>> record is read seems like alot of overhead. Any positive comments will be
>> appreciated as to pros and cons of these 2 methods.

>> Thanks
>> Bil

>Get your hands on a copy of the June 1996 issue of the Visual Basic
>Programmers Journal.  You'll get all the pros and cons you'll every want
>about this topic.

Also check out the March and May issues of VBPJ.  The former has an
article about one developer's experience using VB's RDO.  The latter
contains the benchmark test results of a comparison between all the
available access methods in VB4.  If you are developing a c/s system
with Oracle, you should seriously consider using RDO.  However, with
the ODBC drivers currently available for Oracle, there are some things
that RDO does not handle well.  In my experience, when I've had to
devise a workaround, it has mostly been due to  a shortcoming in the
ODBC driver.

I'm not sure what the original author meant by "standard ODBC calls,"
as opposed to the ODBC API calls.  I think the May VBPJ article will
clear up the confusion about the different access methods.  BTW, with
the ODBC API, you do not have to perform an API call to retrieve each
field after the row is read.  You can bind each column to a storage
location/variable before the rows are retrieved.  Then you can loop
through the result set, retrieving the rows with SQLFetch or
SQLExtendedFetch.  I have found that understanding the ODBC API is
invaluable for using the RDO.

Rick O'Hara

Ceregen

Sat, 12 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. PRB: ODBC -- Call failed (VB5 -- ODBC -- Access97)

2. Actual ODBC error codes rather than 3146 -- ODBC Call failed

3. Actual ODBC error codes rather than 3146 -- ODBC Call failed

4. [ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] ODBC--call failed.

5. [ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] ODBC--call failed.

6. Creating ODBC System DSN by using ODBC API ?

7. problem with ODBC in Excel 5.0 using VBA and ODBC API

8. ODBC API vs RDO

9. SQL vs ODBC API

10. ODBC-API vs. RDO

11. ODBC API error when calling Oracle stored procedure

12. ODBC API calls from VB4.0 Professional Edition - ODBC16.TXT and ODBC32.TXT