Is visual basic the best language...? 
Author Message
 Is visual basic the best language...?

Quote:

>Is Visual Basic the best language to write a simple program for
>distribution on PC's or would C or some other language be easier?

It's totally a matter of personal comfort.  It is a good language for
building and distributing simple programs or complex ones, but there
are others you may like better.  Delphi is another good choice.  So
are Visual C++ and C++ Builder, but they're harder to learn.

Quote:
>I've been programming in basic for over 10 years starting with my
>vic-20 in 7th grade. Is that going to make learnig VB easy or is it a
>whole different can of worms?

You will find that trying to program in VB the way you are used to on
a Vic-20 will hold you back.  The windows environment totally changes
the way programs are designed and coded.  Try to pretend that you
never learned basic and start from scratch with VB.  Then once you've
learned the new way, you can remember that you knew Vic-20 basic and
pick out what you can still use from it and discard the rest.

jdm



Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Is visual basic the best language...?
it is perfectly suitable for most applications requiring moderate speed and
complexity

for speed and hardware constraints you will end up using a good c compiler
or better yet going to assembly programming for critical elements

although most improvements recently have shown vb to be very comprehensive
across most ranges of applications,  considering the vast speed improvement
of cpu capacities.

--
best regards



Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Is visual basic the best language...?
Is visual basic the best language to write a simple program for
distribution on PC's or would C or some other language be easier?

I've been programming in basic for over 10 years starting with my
vic-20 in 7th grade. Is that going to make learnig VB easy or is it a
whole different can of worms?



Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Is visual basic the best language...?

Quote:
> Is visual basic the best language to write a simple program for
> distribution on PC's or would C or some other language be easier?

> I've been programming in basic for over 10 years starting with my
> vic-20 in 7th grade. Is that going to make learnig VB easy or is it a
> whole different can of worms?

C would not be easier to learn than VB.  Get VB and use it.  The
BASIC language of it is not TOO different to the old Vic-20 (I
first programmed on a Vic also).  Once you know how Win9x works
(with regards to menus, icons, mouse, events, etc) then you'll
find programming in VB very similar to the Vic.

Otser.



Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Is visual basic the best language...?

Quote:
>Is visual basic the best language to write a simple program for
>distribution on PC's or would C or some other language be easier?

VB is quite suitable for simple programs or rather complex ones for that
matter.  Learning it is definitely easier than C.

Quote:
>I've been programming in basic for over 10 years starting with my
>vic-20 in 7th grade. Is that going to make learnig VB easy or is it a
>whole different can of worms?

VB programming comes from a different angle than Basic.  Once you get over the
differences in programming in the visual world, you'll find that knowing Basic
can be quite helpful.  A lot of the commands are still the same, it's just a
matter of when and where they are called from.  Good Luck!

Regards,
Bob

Profanity is the one language all programmers know...

"Some people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their
prejudices" --William James

note - remove the .nospam when replying to reach me.  Thanks!



Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Is visual basic the best language...?
VB is a great language.  I purchased a hardware control which allowed me to
touch the hardware directly in VB.  This makes for great test apps.
Although, I use C/C++ for real-time apps as well as Visual C++ for Windows
test apps.  It just depends on the problem I am solving at the time.

Demir Ateser

Quote:

>Is visual basic the best language to write a simple program for
>distribution on PC's or would C or some other language be easier?

>I've been programming in basic for over 10 years starting with my
>vic-20 in 7th grade. Is that going to make learnig VB easy or is it a
>whole different can of worms?



Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Is visual basic the best language...?
On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 02:28:05 GMT, Bob pondered:

Quote:
> I've been programming in basic for over 10 years starting with my
> vic-20 in 7th grade. Is that going to make learnig VB easy or is it a
> whole different can of worms?

I think you're mixing your metaphors there, but anyway: BASIC programming will
help you with VB a bit - though there's a lot more to it than you would have had
on a VIC-20. A *LOT* more.

But learn it anyway. Once you've mastered it, you'll be *over the blue moon* (Ho
ho ho. I just love taking the piss)

--
Alex Warren

http://come.to/axe           - Axe Software: free/shareware for DOS & Windows
http://come.to/perdition     - mods (IT format)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(please reply to the newsgroup - if you must reply by email, change the anti-
spam rubbish to the email address above)



Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Is visual basic the best language...?
VB is a good all purpose tool.  There is no question in my mind that there
is no tool superior to Delphi for generating Windows based
applications/components.  Delphi offers the performance/power of C/C++ (with
a smaller footprint) and with most of the simplicity that VB offers.

Quote:

>>Is visual basic the best language to write a simple program for
>>distribution on PC's or would C or some other language be easier?

>VB is quite suitable for simple programs or rather complex ones for that
>matter.  Learning it is definitely easier than C.

>>I've been programming in basic for over 10 years starting with my
>>vic-20 in 7th grade. Is that going to make learnig VB easy or is it a
>>whole different can of worms?

>VB programming comes from a different angle than Basic.  Once you get over
the
>differences in programming in the visual world, you'll find that knowing
Basic
>can be quite helpful.  A lot of the commands are still the same, it's just
a
>matter of when and where they are called from.  Good Luck!

>Regards,
>Bob

>Profanity is the one language all programmers know...

>"Some people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their
>prejudices" --William James

>note - remove the .nospam when replying to reach me.  Thanks!



Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Is visual basic the best language...?
As I was in a Zenlike state in comp.lang.basic.visual.misc, "Daoud

disturbs the placid waters of a pond:

Quote:
>VB is a good all purpose tool.  There is no question in my mind that there
>is no tool superior to Delphi for generating Windows based
>applications/components.  Delphi offers the performance/power of C/C++ (with
>a smaller footprint) and with most of the simplicity that VB offers.

That "most" is a tricky word.

--Elocutus
---
Save yourself from {*filter*}VB books:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
A bookstore designed by and for Windows developers:
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Thu, 12 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Is Visual Basic 5.0 a good starting language?

2. BETTER BASIC - old Basic Language Compiler

3. Does visual basic use basic language?

4. visual basic vs. visual c++ which is better

5. good old basic commands missing in visual basic?

6. FTP a file from an Access module using Visual Basic language

7. ANN: Visual Basic .NET 2003 Language Specification available for download

8. Chinese language in Visual Basic 4.0

9. Visual Basic and language interfaces

10. Visual Basic, the language and OO

11. I am a technical recruiter and I amseeking a Visual Basic programmer who can also

12. Chinese language in Visual Basic 4.0

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software