Creating Excel Files Without Excel...
Author Message
 Creating Excel Files Without Excel...

I have to get as much info as I can about this, so all comments
are as usually welcome, up to a certain point that is   ;-)

Our customer wants our system to provide the graphs that they
work on, into an Excel file whenever the choose. I heard that it is
possible for your VB app to create an Excel file without having to
have Excel installed on your PC. If so, does anyone know the files
that might be required on both mine and the customer's system to
achieve creating an Excel file at the click of a button. Additionally,
what calls will I need to make, etc..

If anybody knows where I can find this information, and as much
as possible on this subject, could you point me in the right
direction. I have been on all morning on the MS web-site (MSDN),
putting in even the neighbour's cat name into the search string but
to no avail  :-)

Anybody with any better ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Marius Grigoriu

(Remove "NoTrash.")

Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating Excel Files Without Excel...
Hi Marius,
There is MS Graph that is an object that can be used from VB. I believe
that Excel must be installed on the PC in order to create Excel files.

Ranny

--
Ranny Meier
Response Mechanics, Inc.

Quote:
> I have to get as much info as I can about this, so all comments
> are as usually welcome, up to a certain point that is   ;-)

> Our customer wants our system to provide the graphs that they
> work on, into an Excel file whenever the choose. I heard that it is
> possible for your VB app to create an Excel file without having to
> have Excel installed on your PC. If so, does anyone know the files
> that might be required on both mine and the customer's system to
> achieve creating an Excel file at the click of a button. Additionally,
> what calls will I need to make, etc..

> If anybody knows where I can find this information, and as much
> as possible on this subject, could you point me in the right
> direction. I have been on all morning on the MS web-site (MSDN),
> putting in even the neighbour's cat name into the search string but
> to no avail  :-)

> Anybody with any better ideas/suggestions?

> Thanks in advance,

> Marius Grigoriu

> (Remove "NoTrash.")

Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating Excel Files Without Excel...

Quote:
Ranny Meier wrote....
>Hi Marius,
>There is MS Graph that is an object that can be used from VB. I believe
>that Excel must be installed on the PC in order to create Excel files.

>Ranny

Thanks for the reply Ranny. However, I think I didn't explain myself clearly.

Basically we have a graphics facility within our system, which uses the
Pinnacle-BPS Extended Graph Control (we used to have the graphics
facility implemented with the standard Pinnacle-BPS Graph Control that
comes with VB4E).

The data for each graph within the graphics facility is taken from the Oracle
Db. So the customer can view the graph he/she wants and even print each
one out at the click of a button, by using Crystal Reports. However, one of
our customers wants to be able to create an Excel file at the click of a
button, similarly to the print of each graph.

Now this is the question I wanted to ask. Is there a way of creating a an
Excel file with just the data from the Oracle Db (it's just one table), or can
anything else be done like creating the graph that the customer viewed in
the Graphics facility (but modifyable)? The main requirement is that once
the customer clicks a button, a file in Excel format (ideally with the data
and the graph, but just with the data from the Oracle Db table will be fine)
will be created in the designated user's working directory.

So here's what I was looking for. I heard that this could be done by
downloading some files from the MS web-site (I guess they're *.OCX's).
But I have spent a long time on MSDN (library, Kb, etc..) as well as pretty
much the rest of the site, and all I got was the BIFF file format for Excel.

That's why I posted this article, because to be honest I don't even know
what I am specifically looking for (I have an idea....but I'm not dead
certain), that's why I was hoping somebody might have been down this
path before.

Many thanks again though Ranny....  ;-)

With kind regards,

Marius Grigoriu

(Remove "NoTrash.")

Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. create EXCEL with VB without EXCEL installed

2. Saving an Excel file without using Excel

3. Saving an Excel file without using Excel

4. Accessing an Excel file without opening Excel

5. Reading Excel files without opening excel

6. Write a Excel File Without Excel App

7. Using an Excel file without having Microsoft Excel installed

8. Viewing Excel files without firing up Excel.

9. Write to an Excel file from VB without Excel present

10. Excel - VBA - Retreive file without opening them in Excel

11. Is this doable: drive Excel in VB without Excel installation

12. Printing in Excel Without Having Excel