Reading the hard drive's serial number
Author Message
 Reading the hard drive's serial number

GetVolumeInformation will get you a Disk Volume serial number but what
about the actual serial number of the physical hard drive? The one that
is burned into an EPROM on the drive?? How do I obtain that number?

I'm working on an abuse protection scheme which allows only one user per
 computer/hard drive...

Godspeed!

/Tekk ICQ #489373

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 27 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number
Hi,
If you are using VB 6, try the Drive Object. It has a Serial Number
property.
George
GridLinx Software       Programming Tools for VB Programmers
http://www.gridlinx.com

Quote:

> GetVolumeInformation will get you a Disk Volume serial number but what
> about the actual serial number of the physical hard drive? The one that
> is burned into an EPROM on the drive?? How do I obtain that number?

> I'm working on an abuse protection scheme which allows only one user per
>  computer/hard drive...

> Godspeed!

> /Tekk ICQ #489373

Remove NOSPAM from address before replying.

Thu, 27 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number
        Could you please be more specific on that ? Version of VB 6.0
I have doesn't have MSDN collection, so I'm pretty limited with
documentation, and I'm also interested in subject. Thanks.

Quote:

>Hi,
>If you are using VB 6, try the Drive Object. It has a Serial Number
>property.
>George
>GridLinx Software   Programming Tools for VB Programmers
>http://www.gridlinx.com

>> GetVolumeInformation will get you a Disk Volume serial number but what
>> about the actual serial number of the physical hard drive? The one that
>> is burned into an EPROM on the drive?? How do I obtain that number?

>> I'm working on an abuse protection scheme which allows only one user per
>>  computer/hard drive...

>> Godspeed!

>> /Tekk ICQ #489373

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

>--

>Remove NOSPAM from address before replying.

Thu, 27 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number
Hi,
I use soft-guard for copy procection. It has the ability to
lock to a PC using the disk serial number I think. It's only
$29.95 and you can try it at http://www.soft-guard.com
George
GridLinx Software       Programming Tools for VB Programmers
http://www.gridlinx.com

Quote:

> > Hi,
> > If you are using VB 6, try the Drive Object. It has a Serial Number
> > property.

> Thanks! However, this gives me a Disk Volume Serial Number, not the
> serial number of the WHOLE physical hard drive! I have several
> partitions on my hard drive and thus several disk volumes which means I
> also have several Disk Volume Serial Numbers on the same hard drive.
> Now, this wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that I
> believe a malicious user could change this serial number just to be
> able to bypass the one user per computer limit. This is why I need a
> type of identification that comes right from the hardware, the hard
> drive itself.

> Other approaches would be to obtain a BIOS serial number, but I don't
> believe in that idea as an eventual serial number is subject to change
> due to the BIOS being flashable. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

> Regards

> /Tekk ICQ #489373

Remove NOSPAM from address before replying.

Thu, 27 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number
Hi,
Try this code:
Dim fso as New Scripting.FileSystemObject
Dim dr as Scripting.Drive
For Each dr in fso.Drives
   If dr.IsReady Then
     debug.print dr.serialnumber
   end if
Next
George
GridLinx Software       Programming Tools for VB Programmers
http://www.gridlinx.com

Quote:

>         Could you please be more specific on that ? Version of VB 6.0
> I have doesn't have MSDN collection, so I'm pretty limited with
> documentation, and I'm also interested in subject. Thanks.

> >Hi,
> >If you are using VB 6, try the Drive Object. It has a Serial Number
> >property.
> >George
> >GridLinx Software      Programming Tools for VB Programmers
> >http://www.gridlinx.com

> >> GetVolumeInformation will get you a Disk Volume serial number but what
> >> about the actual serial number of the physical hard drive? The one that
> >> is burned into an EPROM on the drive?? How do I obtain that number?

> >> I'm working on an abuse protection scheme which allows only one user per
> >>  computer/hard drive...

> >> Godspeed!

> >> /Tekk ICQ #489373

> >> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

> >--

> >Remove NOSPAM from address before replying.

--

Remove NOSPAM from address before replying.

Thu, 27 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number

Quote:
> Hi,
> If you are using VB 6, try the Drive Object. It has a Serial Number
> property.

Thanks! However, this gives me a Disk Volume Serial Number, not the
serial number of the WHOLE physical hard drive! I have several
partitions on my hard drive and thus several disk volumes which means I
also have several Disk Volume Serial Numbers on the same hard drive.
Now, this wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that I
believe a malicious user could change this serial number just to be
able to bypass the one user per computer limit. This is why I need a
type of identification that comes right from the hardware, the hard
drive itself.

Other approaches would be to obtain a BIOS serial number, but I don't
believe in that idea as an eventual serial number is subject to change
due to the BIOS being flashable. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Regards

/Tekk ICQ #489373

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number
It's very easy to change the disk's (really partition's) serial number.
I prefer to give my software away for free. No one seems to pirate it then
;)

Jason

Quote:
> Hi,
> I use soft-guard for copy procection. It has the ability to
> lock to a PC using the disk serial number I think. It's only
> $29.95 and you can try it at http://www.soft-guard.com
> George
> GridLinx Software Programming Tools for VB Programmers
> http://www.gridlinx.com

> > > Hi,
> > > If you are using VB 6, try the Drive Object. It has a Serial Number
> > > property.

> > Thanks! However, this gives me a Disk Volume Serial Number, not the
> > serial number of the WHOLE physical hard drive! I have several
> > partitions on my hard drive and thus several disk volumes which means I
> > also have several Disk Volume Serial Numbers on the same hard drive.
> > Now, this wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that I
> > believe a malicious user could change this serial number just to be
> > able to bypass the one user per computer limit. This is why I need a
> > type of identification that comes right from the hardware, the hard
> > drive itself.

> > Other approaches would be to obtain a BIOS serial number, but I don't
> > believe in that idea as an eventual serial number is subject to change
> > due to the BIOS being flashable. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

> > Regards

> > /Tekk ICQ #489373

> --

> Remove NOSPAM from address before replying.

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number
Hi,
If you want to have a complete system information just go to my VB FAQ:
http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/unix/409/

regards

--

---------- Auto Signature --------

                Mihai TANASOIU
                "In Space Nobody Can Hear Your Scream" -- ALIEN

                ATOS Infogrance

---------- End of Auto Signature --------

Quote:
> GetVolumeInformation will get you a Disk Volume serial number but what
> about the actual serial number of the physical hard drive? The one that
> is burned into an EPROM on the drive?? How do I obtain that number?

> I'm working on an abuse protection scheme which allows only one user per
>  computer/hard drive...

> Godspeed!

> /Tekk ICQ #489373

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number

Quote:
> Hi,
> If you want to have a complete system information just go to my VB
FAQ:
> http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/unix/409/

> regards

Thanks for your posting.

I have done some research on my own and found a utility at Western
Digital's website called WDTBLCHK.EXE, found in the file
ftp://ftp.wdc.com/drivers/hdutil/tablechk.exe. It gives me the correct
Hard Drive Serial Number for both my WD drive and my Quantum drive.

It was able to read the following information about my two hard drives:

MODEL:            WDC AC420400D      TUM FIREBALL EL10.2A
SERIAL:         WD-WT6620015074              341829438223
FIRMWARE:              J58OA30K                  A08.1100
CYLINDERS:                39560                     19885
HEADS:                       16                        16
SPT:                         63                        63
PHY. SECTORS:          39876480                  20044080
PHY. SIZE (MB):           20417                     10263

Now, I am interested in how to read the SERIAL and also out of
curiosity the FIRMWARE and the MODEL, but I can't seem to find this in
your VB FAQ. What I did find, though, is how to find the Disk Volume
Serial Number, such as for example 000F-0066.

In my research I also found that SiSoft Sandra 98 Standard
(http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/), a program that gives you
all kinds of information about your system, was able to retrieve a so
called "Unique ID" under "Special Mainboard Information" in "Mainboard
Information." My "Unique ID" is: 10/15/1998-VP3-586B-W877-2A5LEF09C-00.
This information, which is hardware bound would serve just as valuable
to me to know how to get by means of programming as getting the hard
drive's serial. However, the question will again be, how do I get this
information?

Primarily, though, where can I find information about retrieving the
SERIAL as shown above in the table, using VB? I have Visual Studio 6.0
but use VB primarily. Do I need to use Visual C++ to do this and if the
answer is yes, can this be incorporated into my VB project in an easy
way?

/Tekk ICQ #489373

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number

Quote:

>> Hi,
>> If you want to have a complete system information just go to my VB
>FAQ:
>> http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/unix/409/

>> regards

>Thanks for your posting.

>I have done some research on my own and found a utility at Western
>Digital's website called WDTBLCHK.EXE, found in the file
>ftp://ftp.wdc.com/drivers/hdutil/tablechk.exe. It gives me the correct
>Hard Drive Serial Number for both my WD drive and my Quantum drive.

>It was able to read the following information about my two hard drives:

>MODEL:            WDC AC420400D      TUM FIREBALL EL10.2A
>SERIAL:         WD-WT6620015074              341829438223

[snip]

Before implementing a system based on this information you should be
aware that SCSI drives do not, as far as I know, have a hardware
readable serial number. The WD utility reports my SCSI drives as
physically not present although it correctly reports the drive data
based on the BIOS calls.

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number

Quote:

> >> Hi,
> >> If you want to have a complete system information just go to my VB
> >FAQ:
> >> http://skyscraper.fortunecity.com/unix/409/

> >> regards

> >Thanks for your posting.

> >I have done some research on my own and found a utility at Western
> >Digital's website called WDTBLCHK.EXE, found in the file
> >ftp://ftp.wdc.com/drivers/hdutil/tablechk.exe. It gives me the
correct
> >Hard Drive Serial Number for both my WD drive and my Quantum drive.

> >It was able to read the following information about my two hard
drives:

> >MODEL:            WDC AC420400D      TUM FIREBALL EL10.2A
> >SERIAL:         WD-WT6620015074              341829438223
> [snip]

> Before implementing a system based on this information you should be
> aware that SCSI drives do not, as far as I know, have a hardware
> readable serial number. The WD utility reports my SCSI drives as
> physically not present although it correctly reports the drive data
> based on the BIOS calls.

Why would this be the case? Why would SCSI hard drives not contain a
hardware readable serial number whereas IDE drives do? It just doesn't
make sense to me before I understand what basic underlying difference
that makes this obviously useful feature non-implementable on SCSI hard
drives.

/Tekk ICQ #489373

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number

Quote:

>Oh, I should also add, that if the program you are protecting stores
>any information, you'll need to set up some sort of system so that
>they can get at the data.  It needs to be pointed out that while the
>code is yours, the data =never= is.

-SNIP-

Very good point. Another point: you can build your app any way you
like, to read any h/ware serials you like, but it can STILL be
cracked.
Coding h/w serial checks into your code will only stop the incompetent
people from pirating it, and lead to incompatibility, i.e. when
someone upgrades their hard drive or motherboard.
I think the best way to prevent piracy is a 2 step process:

- write an app/prog that is so good that people are glad to pay for
it.

- never charge more for it than what genuine users are happy to pay or
are capable of paying

There are very few apps that fit those 2 categories, but plenty that
don't, which is one reason why piracy is so rampant.

shane the ACE

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number

Quote:
> GetVolumeInformation will get you a Disk Volume serial number but what
> about the actual serial number of the physical hard drive? The one that
> is burned into an EPROM on the drive?? How do I obtain that number?

> I'm working on an abuse protection scheme which allows only one user per
>  computer/hard drive...

I solved that exact problem a couple of weeks ago with the following
code:

'put this code in your Declarations section of your form

Public lngVolumeID as Long
Private Declare Function GetVolumeInformation Lib "kernel32" Alias _
"GetVolumeInformationA" (ByVal lpRootPathName As String, ByVal _
lpVolumeNameBuffer As String, ByVal nVolumeNameSize As Long, _
lpVolumeSerialNumber As Long, lpMaximumComponentLength As Long, _
lpFileSystemFlags As Long, ByVal lpFileSystemNameBuffer As String, ByVal
_
nFileSystemNameSize As Long) As Long

'I have this code in the Load section of my Form

'determine the Volume ID of the host computer
Dim nRet As Long
Dim VolName As String
Dim MaxCompLen As Long
Dim VolFlags As Long
Dim VolFileSys As String

VolName = Space$(256)
VolFileSys = Space$(256)

nRet = GetVolumeInformation("C:\", VolName, Len(VolName), lngVolumeID, _
MaxCompLen, VolFlags, VolFileSys, Len(VolFileSys))

Your volume's ID is returned as lngVolumeID

Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number

Quote:

> > GetVolumeInformation will get you a Disk Volume serial number but
what
> > about the actual serial number of the physical hard drive? The one
that
> > is burned into an EPROM on the drive?? How do I obtain that number?

> > I'm working on an abuse protection scheme which allows only one
user per
> >  computer/hard drive...

> I solved that exact problem a couple of weeks ago with the following
> code:

> 'put this code in your Declarations section of your form

> Public lngVolumeID as Long
> Private Declare Function GetVolumeInformation Lib "kernel32" Alias _
> "GetVolumeInformationA" (ByVal lpRootPathName As String, ByVal _
> lpVolumeNameBuffer As String, ByVal nVolumeNameSize As Long, _
> lpVolumeSerialNumber As Long, lpMaximumComponentLength As Long, _
> lpFileSystemFlags As Long, ByVal lpFileSystemNameBuffer As String,
ByVal
> _
> nFileSystemNameSize As Long) As Long

Thanks, but this is again just how you get a VOLUME SERIAL NUMBER, not
the PHYSICAL HARD DRIVE'S SERIAL NUMBER!

One hard drive, ONE serial number. Not one hard drive, SEVERAL volume
serial numbers (c:, d:, e: etc.)!

/Tekk ICQ #489373

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 01 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading the hard drive's serial number

Agreed, but to add...  Don't go and get carried away with the concept
of protection and end up spending more time locking it up then making
it!  Locks only keep honest people out...

Quote:

>>Oh, I should also add, that if the program you are protecting stores
>>any information, you'll need to set up some sort of system so that
>>they can get at the data.  It needs to be pointed out that while the
>>code is yours, the data =never= is.
>-SNIP-

>Very good point. Another point: you can build your app any way you
>like, to read any h/ware serials you like, but it can STILL be
>cracked.
>Coding h/w serial checks into your code will only stop the incompetent
>people from pirating it, and lead to incompatibility, i.e. when
>someone upgrades their hard drive or motherboard.
>I think the best way to prevent piracy is a 2 step process:

>- write an app/prog that is so good that people are glad to pay for
>it.

>- never charge more for it than what genuine users are happy to pay or
>are capable of paying

>There are very few apps that fit those 2 categories, but plenty that
>don't, which is one reason why piracy is so rampant.

>shane the ACE

Bradley Davidson
midknyte at execpc dot com
http://www.somewareonthe.net/

Tue, 08 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Reading the Hard Drives Serial Number

2. Hard Drive Serial Number/Total Drive Size

3. hard drive serial number

4. Hard Drive Serial Number

5. Hard Drive Volume Serial Number

6. Hard drive serial number

7. Getting Hard Drive Serial number

8. How can I get the serial (or other) number of my hard drive through VB

9. How can I get the serial (or other) number of my hard drive through VB

10. API call for hard drive serial number

11. Hard Drive Serial Numbers

12. Hard Drive Serial Numbers