Are you a MS Certified Solution Developer?
Author Message
 Are you a MS Certified Solution Developer?

I'm am taking a personal survey to see how many people are or are in the
process of becoming a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer. How does it
impact your present or future job(s).
If you are one please drop me a quick message and I will compile the
results and post them here in a week or so. Thanks.
--
The more you know, the more you realize you don't know.
PDA

Wed, 24 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are you a MS Certified Solution Developer?

Quote:

>I'm am taking a personal survey to see how many people are or are in the
>process of becoming a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer. How does it
>impact your present or future job(s).
>If you are one please drop me a quick message and I will compile the
>results and post them here in a week or so. Thanks.

What's the point? Any survey that requires the respondant to initiate the
questioning is hardly scientific and could not produce anything useful.

Crazy surveys are becoming more and more common.  "Microsoft Certified
Professional" magazine (the one sent free to people who take the tests) did a
salary survey a few months ago that was the most bogus survey I've ever seen
in print, surpassing even those done by political posters.

FWIW being an MCSD will look good on your business card but it will do nothing
towards getting you a job or more money.

John

World-Wide-Web: The CB Radio of the 90's

Wed, 24 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are you a MS Certified Solution Developer?

....stuff deleted...

Quote:

>FWIW being an MCSD will look good on your business card but it will do nothing
>towards getting you a job or more money.

John (and everybody else),

I believe the statement you made above is so far from correct. It
totally depends on how informed the clients who require the services
of solution developers in general are - in the contracting world that
is.  In fact, most of our clients demand only Microsoft Certified
Professionals. Our company has policies regarding the successful
completion of at least two MCP exams within the first year, and in
fact rewards staff with a bonus for each exam passed since they in
turn get higher rates from our clients. The above doesn't apply only
to the company who I work for - I've heard of it elsewhere too, and
seen it in practice here in the DC area with Novell Certified
individuals.

Just my .02c

        Darryl

Darryl Schaffer

Wed, 24 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are you a MS Certified Solution Developer?

Quote:

> I'm am taking a personal survey to see how many people are or
> are in the process of becoming a Microsoft Certified Solution
> Developer. How does it impact your present or future job(s).

It is probably most valuable to people who have only a few years
of experience.  It shows potential employers and clients that you
have current technical training.

For the more experienced developer (say with 3-5 years total, and
with 1-2 years of Windows/GUI/database development experience),
it is probably of little value.

There are periodic attempts within the "industry" to bring in
certification of various types ... I remember things from the
early 1970's.  The problem is that their is no common body of
knowledge that is appropriate, and that the technical details
that were of value 5 years ago are mostly obsolete today.

Who cares what I know about obsolete computers and antiquated
operationg systems? Does it matter that I was once certified
in Mark IV? Or took the systems programming class for CICS/VS?

Five years from now, your MCSD will have little meaning, while
your five years of accumulated, varied experience will have a
lot of meaning.

So in conclusion, MCSD will be of value to some, because it represents
a training program which was successfully completed. But to many,
it is just an exercise.

For my own gratification, I'd rather take another course in
advanced mathematics or physics ... but I'm sure that I'm in
the minority there! This semester is devoted to expanding my
knowledge of Windows API functions, OLE servers, and analytical
mechanics (Lagrangians, Hamiltonians, and the calculus of
variations).  Sorry, no time for MCSD for me! ;-)

Best Regards, Peter

Wed, 24 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Are you a MS Certified Solution Developer?

I have a few questions about certification or more specifically, the
process.  How many exams do I have to take if I want to focus on VB
programming?  Is it expensive?  Do I have to go to training for it?  What
are the expenses involved?  What are the traps you ran into that you were
not aware of?  What kind of books are available?

I am interested in getting certified, but no one can tell me the process
(how do I even start?).  I would like to see someone post their story on
certification, how long it took, how did they study, etc.  It would be much
appreciated.

Thu, 25 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Questions about MS certified solution developer

2. Questions about MS certified solution developer

3. : Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

4. Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer information wanted

5. Microsoft Certified Solution Developer Study Guide Advice

6. MS certified developers help, anyone???

7. MS Certified Developers

8. MS Certified Developers help, anyone???

9. MS Certified Developers help, anyone???

10. MS Cert Solution Developer home study questions

11. VBA by Microsoft certified developer

12. Certified VB developer looking for a freelance work