VB on '95 Network - Shared Database
Author Message
 VB on '95 Network - Shared Database

Hello,

I'd suggest you pick up a copy of the Jet Database Engine Programmer's Guide
from Microsoft press.  It will contain a lot of good information on using
JET databases in a multiuser environment.

Other places to look would be in the Visual Basic Documentation, in the
Professional Features book, there is a section called Multiuser
Considerations that should help you.  Also, in the Building Applications
book of the Microsoft Access documentation, there is an entire chapter on
multiuser concerns with Access databases (Jet = Access, and VB uses Jet).

I hope this helps,

--

Larry Tubbs, MCPS, MCSD
Silverleaf Vacation Club

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
>I've searched DejaNews and can't find anything that
>specifically addresses the issue of writing a VB 4.0 program
>to used a shared database from a network drive (by that I
>mean a drive on another user's machine mapped as a network
>drive).

>I am writing an application that will access the database in
>a shared mode for a LAN of about 5 users. There will not be
>a database server. The database will reside on one user's
>machine (the fastest of the group).

>What issues and problems can I expect?

>Lee
>T. Lee
>Digital Productions

Fri, 28 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB on '95 Network - Shared Database

I've searched DejaNews and can't find anything that
specifically addresses the issue of writing a VB 4.0 program
to used a shared database from a network drive (by that I
mean a drive on another user's machine mapped as a network
drive).

I am writing an application that will access the database in
a shared mode for a LAN of about 5 users. There will not be
a database server. The database will reside on one user's
machine (the fastest of the group).

What issues and problems can I expect?

Lee
T. Lee
Digital Productions

Fri, 28 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB on '95 Network - Shared Database

Quote:

> ... writing a VB 4.0 program to used a shared database from a network
> drive (by that I
> mean a drive on another user's machine mapped as a network drive).
> What issues and problems can I expect?

It's pretty straightforward, at least in VB5.  Check for "recordset
locking" in the Books Online in VB (I hope VB4 has that as part of
Help). I simply set LockEdits recordset property to True for pessimistic
locking, and then invoke the Edit method for the current record. That
locks the page containing the current record.  Other attempts to write
to that page, even from other users on the network will be rejected.

Works fine,
Jerry Abrams

Fri, 28 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB 3.0 Can't Find Database in Win 95

2. Starting Dial-Up Networking w/ VB4 in Win '95

3. Network API's for 95

4. Can't find Database Wizards/Access 95

5. Dialup Networking from VB under 95/98 and NT

6. VB/Access network printing problem with Win 95

7. Sharing database in network..

8. Sharing Database on a Network

9. Using OLE controls in Excel'95 VB

10. Disabling alt-tab, VB App that takes total control of Win '95

11. Intersolv MultiLink/VB doesn't run under Windows 95

12. VB Progg won't run on Windows 95 version 1 - OLE32.DLL problem