passing text to other programs without using sendkeys?
Author Message
 passing text to other programs without using sendkeys?

How can I pass text to another program without using sendkeys?
For example if I want to write the string "test string" to , lets say,
notepad without using sendkeys what do I have to do?
Do I need to use DDE? Am I moving in the right direction by this?

Thank You

Rune Moe

Wed, 12 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 passing text to other programs without using sendkeys?

Quote:

>How can I pass text to another program without using sendkeys?
>For example if I want to write the string "test string" to , lets say,
>notepad without using sendkeys what do I have to do?
>Do I need to use DDE? Am I moving in the right direction by this?

Most child windows can accept a WM_SETTEXT message and consequently if you
can get the hWnd of the notepad's edit window, I'd expect this to work. To
find the hWnd, walk the window list with GetWindow() - and/or use
FindWindow() to locate a window given its title.

Thu, 13 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 passing text to other programs without using sendkeys?

Quote:
>How can I pass text to another program without using sendkeys?
>For example if I want to write the string "test string" to , lets say,
>notepad without using sendkeys what do I have to do?
>Do I need to use DDE? Am I moving in the right direction by this?

>Thank You

>Rune Moe

Ahem, just curious, but whats wrong with SENDKEYS to accomplish this ?
SENDKEYS is definately the easist way to do that job. A more tedious way would
be doing it like this:

open "<file>" for output as #1
print #1,"test string"
close #1
editfile="Notepad " & "<file>"
rc=shell(editfile,1)

But this only works if your program accepts input parameters.

For what its worth,
Karsten

Sat, 15 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 passing text to other programs without using sendkeys?

Quote:

>Have you tried using OLE automation?
>--

Or Dynamic Data Exchange

Sun, 16 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need help Sending Text to another program w/out using SendKeys or DDE

2. Passing keystrokes without sendkeys

3. Sending text without sendkeys???

4. sending text without sendkeys????

5. Saving Excel Range to Image without using Sendkeys

6. How to send a string without using SendKeys?

7. Running VB5 programs from CD without using a setup program

8. Using Sendkeys Method to Automate another program

9. Using Sendkeys to copy selected text from WORD

10. Programming in VB without using Refresh

11. Winsock SMTP Email Program without using forms

12. Simulating NET SEND in a VB Program without using SHELL commands