visual basic & c++ differences
Author Message
 visual basic & c++ differences

I am a {*filter*} consultant who primarily works w/ web site development and
maintenance, hardware upgrades & pc support. I would like to branch out
into programming. Can anyone tell me the difference between the pro edition
vs. the regular edition of Visual Basic (aside from the astronomical price
difference)? Also would vb be the better way to go or should I really be
thinking about learning c++? If so, which compiler is better. What are the
differences between c++ and vb? Please send any replies directly to

Sun, 18 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 visual basic & c++ differences

: >I am a {*filter*} consultant who primarily works w/ web site development and
: >maintenance, hardware upgrades & pc support. I would like to branch out
: >into programming. Can anyone tell me the difference between the pro edition
: >vs. the regular edition of visual basic (aside from the astronomical price
: >difference)? Also would vb be the better way to go or should I really be
: >thinking about learning c++? If so, which compiler is better. What are the
: >differences between c++ and vb? Please send any replies directly to

: If you don't know the difference between C++ and VB I feel very sorry
: for your "clients" ( suckers is proabably more accurate! )

(wow, that's a bit harsh!)

With regard to languages...
VB uses a (microsoft) abstracted version of basic, which is quite easy to
learn in a basic way, if all you want to do is to 'glue' the activities of
different form controls and events together. However, this group is used
by many experienced VB programmers who really do know a thing or two about
getting the most out of the language, and interfacing it with windows api
system calls, that that is gonna take a little time to pick up. However,
the code that you produce is not portable to other platforms since
currently the VB IDE is only available for the PC platform. (Microsoft are
talking of a Mac version, but they have been for some time).
C++ is is real programming language, real in the sense that it's not tied
to a particular proprietary IDE. (You can of course have system-dependant
code within the C++ code).
If you want to progress beyond web stuff, I would suggest going the whole
way and getting into:
1) db stuff (principally SQL, oracle if possible) since this definately
impacts web development
2) Try to get into object oriented coding, this impacts most all serious
programming languages, including PERL (since version 5.0), Java and C++.
If you are bright, you can start to pick this up using a couple of good
books, or you might need to register for a pro-taught course.
3) Because of the way microsoft is attempting to integrate VB stuff into
the web, it's almost certainly worth getting into VB.
My 0.02c
Greg

Mon, 19 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 visual basic & c++ differences

Quote:

> : >I am a {*filter*} consultant who primarily works w/ web site development and
> : >maintenance, hardware upgrades & pc support. I would like to branch out
> : >into programming. Can anyone tell me the difference between the pro edition
> : >vs. the regular edition of visual basic (aside from the astronomical price
> : >difference)? Also would vb be the better way to go or should I really be
> : >thinking about learning c++? If so, which compiler is better. What are the
> : >differences between c++ and vb? Please send any replies directly to

> : If you don't know the difference between C++ and VB I feel very sorry
> : for your "clients" ( suckers is proabably more accurate! )

> (wow, that's a bit harsh!)

> With regard to languages...
> VB uses a (microsoft) abstracted version of basic, which is quite easy to
> learn in a basic way, if all you want to do is to 'glue' the activities of
> different form controls and events together. However, this group is used
> by many experienced VB programmers who really do know a thing or two about
> getting the most out of the language, and interfacing it with windows api
> system calls, that that is gonna take a little time to pick up. However,
> the code that you produce is not portable to other platforms since
> currently the VB IDE is only available for the PC platform. (Microsoft are
> talking of a Mac version, but they have been for some time).
> C++ is is real programming language, real in the sense that it's not tied
> to a particular proprietary IDE. (You can of course have system-dependant
> code within the C++ code).
> If you want to progress beyond web stuff, I would suggest going the whole
> way and getting into:
> 1) db stuff (principally SQL, oracle if possible) since this definately
> impacts web development
> 2) Try to get into object oriented coding, this impacts most all serious
> programming languages, including PERL (since version 5.0), Java and C++.
> If you are bright, you can start to pick this up using a couple of good
> books, or you might need to register for a pro-taught course.
> 3) Because of the way microsoft is attempting to integrate VB stuff into
> the web, it's almost certainly worth getting into VB.
> My 0.02c
> GregMy two bits worth.  Whether you want to learn VB or C++ depends on what

you want to do and how much effort you want to put into it.

With Visual Basic you can get up and programming utilities and small
applications relatively easily.  Then you can keep working and adding new
knowledge in an on-going learning/doing atmosphere.

With C++ you are going to have to put in a lot of effort up front just to
get started.  Then when you finally get going you will be able to work to
doing a lot of system level programming.

The big difference in the start up effort is that C++ is much more
complex to learn, but you really do a different type of programming.

With VB you can do quick turnaround programming, particularly on
things that require more in the way of User Interface design.

With C++ it is easier to do some jobs, particulary when you need to work
with the operating system, once you learn the language.  Code in C++ will
typically be tighter, and run faster, at least if you do a good job of
coding.

Both are good languages, it is just figuring out what you want to go
into.

Good luck
Bill Gill

Mon, 19 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 visual basic & c++ differences

Quote:
>I am a {*filter*} consultant who primarily works w/ web site development and
>maintenance, hardware upgrades & pc support. I would like to branch out
>into programming. Can anyone tell me the difference between the pro edition
>vs. the regular edition of visual basic (aside from the astronomical price
>difference)? Also would vb be the better way to go or should I really be
>thinking about learning c++? If so, which compiler is better. What are the
>differences between c++ and vb? Please send any replies directly to

Depends on what kind of programs you want to make. Some are easier to do in vb
while others are easier in C++. If this is your first time at programming, i
think you should begin with vb cause it is easier to learn. But if you wanna be
a good programmer, i think you should learn both.

Mon, 19 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 visual basic & c++ differences

Quote:
>I am a {*filter*} consultant who primarily works w/ web site development and
>maintenance, hardware upgrades & pc support. I would like to branch out
>into programming. Can anyone tell me the difference between the pro edition
>vs. the regular edition of visual basic (aside from the astronomical price
>difference)? Also would vb be the better way to go or should I really be
>thinking about learning c++? If so, which compiler is better. What are the
>differences between c++ and vb? Please send any replies directly to

If you don't know the difference between C++ and VB I feel very sorry
for your "clients" ( suckers is proabably more accurate! )
.

Mon, 19 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VISUAL BASIC AND VISUAL C++ WHAT THE BIG DIFFERENCE

2. Difference Between C++ and Visual Basic w/ DirectX

3. Visual Basic & Visual C++ Programmers required

4. Visual Basic & Visual C++ Programmers required

5. Visual C++ & Visual Age c++

6. Difference between Visual Basic 6 and Visual Basic.Net

7. Looking for differences between Visual Basic 5.0 enterprise and Visual Basic 5.0 Profesional

8. need some basic information on visual basic and visual c++

9. need some basic information on visual basic and visual c++

10. Visual Basic & C++

11. Visual Basic & C++

12. Visual C++ and Visual Basic and Visual J++