Help: INPUT / INPUT # for gopher/UNIX files
Author Message
 Help: INPUT / INPUT # for gopher/UNIX files

I am trying to input a UNIX file (gopher) into a VB Text box.  The file
has no CR's but does have NL's.  After being loaded it still displays the
NL characters.  Does anyone know of a VB conversion function or API that
would handle this, or any suggestions?

This question is similiar to the one Jim Watkins posted back in July.

There were no threads to his original question.

Thanks!

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: INPUT / INPUT # for gopher/UNIX files

Quote:

>I am trying to input a UNIX file (gopher) into a VB Text box.  The file
>has no CR's but does have NL's.  After being loaded it still displays the
>NL characters.  Does anyone know of a VB conversion function or API that
>would handle this, or any suggestions?
>This question is similiar to the one Jim Watkins posted back in July.

>There were no threads to his original question.
>Thanks!

One approach is to read the file in probably using binary mode so that
I could get chunks for speed and replace any Chr$(10) with Chr$(13) &
Chr$(10) before placing in the text box.
or
If you use the same file over and over, I would create a new file and
copy the oldfile while replaceing the Chr$(10)'s with Chr$(13) &
Chr$(10) to a new file.

Jim Huguley

* Those who sit and think *
* Mostly sit              *

Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help: INPUT / INPUT # for gopher/UNIX files

Quote:

>I am trying to input a UNIX file (gopher) into a VB Text box.  The file
>has no CR's but does have NL's.  After being loaded it still displays the
>NL characters.  Does anyone know of a VB conversion function or API that
>would handle this, or any suggestions?

There is a freeware programlet (I have the source code for it --  three
lines!) around called CRLF.EXE or CRLF.COM, which you could run to
convert the file to one with <CR> <LF> combination newlines, then process
it, then if you need to you could strip out the CR's (one version of CRLF
does this also).

Allen
Allen Windhorn
Kato Engineering
(A Rockwell Automation Company)
P.O. Box 8447
N. Mankato, MN  56002-8447

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Line Input (from a Unix Text file)

2. LINE INPUT For UNIX FILE

3. Tring to prase Unix file with Line Input

4. Line Input of a File created on a Unix machine

5. **Need Help with User INPUT, ASCII Codes, INPUT String length

6. Need help editing an Input file (text) and writing the to a new, altered Output file

7. input for input (2)

8. Formatting date input in Input Box

9. Input vs Input$

10. API Call - Minimized App To Test Input of Mouse And Key Input

11. how to detect how long without any input since last input action

12. code similar to Qbasic INPUT and LINE INPUT keywords