Explorer ListBox control in sorted columns
Author Message
 Explorer ListBox control in sorted columns

        I have noticed that many Windows 95 apps use a ListBox that has a gray bar
at the top with column headings.  Explorer does this if you have it set to
View-Details.  Data in the list box can be sorted by any column, ascending
or descending, by clicking on the appropriate column heading on the gray
bar.  The columns themselves can be resize by dragging their right border
with the mouse, or by double-clicking on them.  I need to use this control
(I am going to call it a sorted columnized ListBox) in one of my programs.
I can't find it in any of the controls I have.  I this control available
for Visual Basic?  Does it come with it?  I have VB 4.0 Professional.  Is
it a third party control (I doubt it, Microsoft uses it in many of their
apps).
        I have also seed this control used in Norton Unerase, Adaptec Easy-CD Pro,
Microsoft Internet News and Mail, and many other programs.

control in Visual Basic, or if you have bad news, like it is only available
for Visual C++.
--
- Chuck Renner
Senior Technical Advisor

Sat, 13 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Explorer ListBox control in sorted columns

Chuck,

VB 4.0 comes w/ a listview control.  It works just like the explorer list
control.  The column resizing and ordering work w/ a minimal amount of
code.

Patrick

<snip>

Quote:
> with the mouse, or by double-clicking on them.  I need to use this
control
> (I am going to call it a sorted columnized ListBox) in one of my
programs.
> I can't find it in any of the controls I have.  I this control available
> for Visual Basic?  Does it come with it?  I have VB 4.0 Professional.  Is
> it a third party control (I doubt it, Microsoft uses it in many of their
> apps).
<snip>
> - Chuck Renner
> Senior Technical Advisor
> Data On CD Inc.

Sat, 13 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Explorer ListBox control in sorted columns

Quote:
>    I have noticed that many Windows 95 apps use a ListBox that has a gray bar
>at the top with column headings.  Explorer does this if you have it set to
>View-Details.  Data in the list box can be sorted by any column, ascending
>or descending, by clicking on the appropriate column heading on the gray
>bar.  The columns themselves can be resize by dragging their right border
>with the mouse, or by double-clicking on them.  I need to use this control
>(I am going to call it a sorted columnized ListBox) in one of my programs.
>I can't find it in any of the controls I have.  I this control available
>for Visual Basic?  Does it come with it?  I have VB 4.0 Professional.  Is
>it a third party control (I doubt it, Microsoft uses it in many of their
>apps).

      The control is used in VB.  It is the listview control.  It is
part of the MS Common Controls.  Use it freely and prosper.<G>

JD

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Explorer type display/column sort

2. Sorting columns in a listbox

3. formatting rows and columns in unbound data control, rich text box control, or listbox control

4. sorting listbox with sorted property on run time

5. Listbox/Combobox - .Sorted=True doesn't sort ItemData

6. Sorting ListView control on other columns

7. Sorting a column in a listview control

8. Sorting Columns in ListView control

9. Listbox columns problem when inserting over 10 columns

10. View One column of Multi Column Listbox

11. Checkbox in multi-column listbox or grid column?

12. Multi-column listbox w/3 columns of checkboxes