VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit
Author Message
 VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

We're currently using WFW 3.11 on our client machines and are about to
develop a couple of major applications using VB4.  The main reasons for
using VB4 are the ability to create classes and 3-tier designs.  We plan
to have the middle tier on NT servers.

The question for us now is whether to incur the additional expenses of
upgrading to a 32-bit OS from WFW today.  This, for us, comes down to
the pros and cons of running either VB4's 16-bit or 32-bit.

Will anyone be able to give us some of their valuable experiences of
using these 2 products?

Thanks,
Bill

Wed, 17 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

Quote:

>develop a couple of major applications using VB4.  The main reasons for

>The question for us now is whether to incur the additional expenses of
>upgrading to a 32-bit OS from WFW today.  This, for us, comes down to
>the pros and cons of running either VB4's 16-bit or 32-bit.

You may already know this, but for the development platform itself,
you have to have a 32 bit OS (Win95 or NT.)  As far as the 16 bit
applications that you develop, they seem to work fine in my limited
experience.  I'm not installing anything in a WFWG network, but I am
using 16 bit applications accessing a database on a Novell 3.11 server
from workstations that have WFWG installed on them.  It seems  to work
fine (so far, anyway.)

Fri, 19 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

Quote:

>>develop a couple of major applications using VB4.  The main reasons for

>>The question for us now is whether to incur the additional expenses of
>>upgrading to a 32-bit OS from WFW today.  This, for us, comes down to
>>the pros and cons of running either VB4's 16-bit or 32-bit.

>You may already know this, but for the development platform itself,
>you have to have a 32 bit OS (Win95 or NT.)  As far as the 16 bit

VB4/16 runs fine under 16-bit Windows.

Fri, 19 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

Quote:

>Date:       Mon, 02 Sep 1996 03:34:14 GMT

>Newsgroups: comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>Subject:    Re: VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

>>develop a couple of major applications using VB4.  The main reasons for

>>The question for us now is whether to incur the additional expenses of
>>upgrading to a 32-bit OS from WFW today.  This, for us, comes down to
>>the pros and cons of running either VB4's 16-bit or 32-bit.

>You may already know this, but for the development platform itself,
>you

DO NOT (not for VB4 16-bit)

Quote:
>have to have a 32 bit OS (Win95 or NT.)  As far as the 16 bit
>applications that you develop, they seem to work fine in my limited
>experience.  I'm not installing anything in a WFWG network, but I am
>using 16 bit applications accessing a database on a Novell 3.11 server
>from workstations that have WFWG installed on them.  It seems  to work
>fine (so far, anyway.)

---The Code Ninja---

Sat, 20 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

Base on the replies, it seems that there is no problem using VB4 16-bit.
By doing so, will I loose any capabilities?  I know that RDO is only
available with 32-bit.  Also, if I build a 32-bit OLE server on an NT,
will there be any limitations for me to use it with a VB4 16-bit client
application?

Thanks for the feedbacks,
Bill

Sun, 21 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

Quote:

>available with 32-bit.  Also, if I build a 32-bit OLE server on an NT,
>will there be any limitations for me to use it with a VB4 16-bit client
>application?

Not according to the docs.  I haven't tried it myself, but the only
stipulation I can see is that the server needs to be 32 bit.  Of
course you need to register the server on the client and run the
automation manager on the server.  I haven't heard how hard this is.
I would be interested in this information also.

Thanks.

Rick Clark

Mon, 22 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB4 16-bit vs 32-bit

2. Russian(Cyrillic): vb4 32-bit works, but vb4 16-bit doesn't

3. VB 16 bit vs 32 bit on NT machine

4. VB 4.0: 16 bit vs 32 bit

5. 16 bit vs 32 bit

6. Check for 32-bit vs. 16-bit OS

7. VB 4.0 (16 bit vs 32 bit)

8. 16 bit SQL Driver VS 32 bit SQL Driver

9. 16 bit vs 32 bit

10. 16-bit vs 32-bit

11. 16 bit SQL Driver VS 32 bit SQL Driver