VB Can't Find DLL Entry Point
Author Message
 VB Can't Find DLL Entry Point

Hi Folks,

Perhaps this is a common question (at least I hope so!), but as a newbie I need
to ask it:  I have a 3rd-part DLL that I would like to use from VB.  It came
with a DLL file and a TLB file.  The TLB file shows up (and is checked) in the
Project | References dialog.  I've coded a reference to the dll in the
declarations section of a main module:

Declare Function addSpec Lib "e:\...\addexample_mc.dll" (ByVal Value1 As Long,
ByVal Value2 As Long) As Long

When I attempt to use the "addSpec" function, I get an error that says "Can't
find DLL entry point in..."

Could one of you experts point me in the right direction?

tia,

ws

--
Warren Spencer
Systems Analyst

<< My employer does not necessarily agree with my opinions - neither do I >>

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VB Can't Find DLL Entry Point
Hi,

I found the answer to my own question in dejanews' archives.  I'm reposting
it here in case anyone else is interested in this item.  My thanks to Gary,
who provided the answer back on May 23.

ws

--
Warren Spencer
Systems Analyst
Alcan Aluminum Corporation

<< My employer does not necessarily agree with my opinions - neither do I
________________________________

Mark,

You have a misunderstanding on how to use ActiveX DLL's.    After creating
your DLL and registering it, you need to Reference it in your Project.
After registering it you access the functions by creating an Object of your
Class.

Dim cryptObj as Crypt
Set cryptObj = New Crypt

cryptObj.Encode

Set cryptObj = Nothing

You only use Declare statements to access exported functions of regular
Windows DLL's.    ActiveX DLL's only have the Register and Unregister
functions exported.

Gary ...

________________

Quote:

>Hi Folks,

>Perhaps this is a common question (at least I hope so!), but as a newbie
>I need to ask it:  I have a 3rd-party DLL that I would like to use from
>VB.  It came with a DLL file and a TLB file.  The TLB file shows up (and
>is checked) in the Project | References dialog.  I've coded a reference
>to the dll in the declarations section of a main module:

>Declare Function addSpec Lib "e:\...\addexample_mc.dll" (ByVal Value1 As
>Long, ByVal Value2 As Long) As Long

>When I attempt to use the "addSpec" function, I get an error that says
>"Can't find DLL entry point in..."

>Could one of you experts point me in the right direction?

>tia,

>ws

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. VB can't find entry point in VC++ DLL

2. VB5 DLL function / Can't find DLL entry point

3. dll creation problem: can't find dll entry point

4. VB5 DLL Error - Can't Find Entry Point in ...dll

5. dll creation problem: can't find dll entry point

6. VB5 DLL Error - Can't Find Entry Point in ...dll

7. Can't find DLL entry point OpenEventLog in advapi32.dll

8. Can't find DLL entry point NetGetDCName in netapi32.dll

9. Can't find DLL entry point NetRemoteTOD in NETAPI32.DLL

10. Can't find DLL entry-point ...??

11. Can't find DLL Entry point ExitWindows in user32

12. Newbie Question: Can't find DLL entry point