Out of Memory - Insufficient variable space
Author Message
 Out of Memory - Insufficient variable space

out of memory - insufficient vaiable space

I get the error message above when i try to run my VB3 projekt. It's a
large projekt, so it's nothing strange whith that. The funny thing is
that when I run absolutly the same projekt on another machine it
compiles fine. WHY? The machines are both Acer 486DX2 66MHz machines.
The error machine has 16 MB, the other 12 MB. The error machine has more
virtual memory and more resources left. And the drive with the
temp-directory has about 30 MB free space.

Anobody out there to help me out?

TIA

Per Wendt
Skoldata AB

--

12/30/96 00:36
---------

Thu, 17 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Out of Memory - Insufficient variable space

Quote:
>out of memory - insufficient vaiable space

>I get the error message above when i try to run my VB3 projekt. It's a
>large projekt, so it's nothing strange whith that. The funny thing is
>that when I run absolutly the same projekt on another machine it
>compiles fine. WHY? The machines are both Acer 486DX2 66MHz machines.
>The error machine has 16 MB, the other 12 MB. The error machine has more
>virtual memory and more resources left. And the drive with the
>temp-directory has about 30 MB free space.

>Anobody out there to help me out?

It sound like the User heap is being exhausted.

Get hold of a resource meter for (win3.1 I presume) and check that the
user heap is not full. If there are more programs running on the 16 meg
machine, then the user heap may get filled.

Micro$oft, in their infinite wisdom, did not implement a workaround for
the 64k limit on the User and GDI heap on Win3.1x. On W95, this problem
shouldn't occur - but be warned, on Win3.1x machines, these heaps are
limited to 64k.
--
Barry Zubel
Shadwell Keenan Ltd.

Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Out of Memory - Insufficient variable space

Quote:

> >out of memory - insufficient vaiable space

> >I get the error message above when i try to run my VB3 projekt. It's a
> >large projekt, so it's nothing strange whith that. The funny thing is
> >that when I run absolutly the same projekt on another machine it
> >compiles fine. WHY? The machines are both Acer 486DX2 66MHz machines.
> >The error machine has 16 MB, the other 12 MB. The error machine has more
> >virtual memory and more resources left. And the drive with the
> >temp-directory has about 30 MB free space.

> >Anobody out there to help me out?

> It sound like the User heap is being exhausted.

> Get hold of a resource meter for (win3.1 I presume) and check that the
> user heap is not full. If there are more programs running on the 16 meg
> machine, then the user heap may get filled.

> Micro$oft, in their infinite wisdom, did not implement a workaround for
> the 64k limit on the User and GDI heap on Win3.1x. On W95, this problem
> shouldn't occur - but be warned, on Win3.1x machines, these heaps are
> limited to 64k.
> --
> Barry Zubel
> Shadwell Keenan Ltd.

It even occurs when there are no other programs running

/pW

Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Out of Memory - Insufficient variable space

Quote:

>> >out of memory - insufficient vaiable space

>> >I get the error message above when i try to run my VB3 projekt. It's a
>> >large projekt, so it's nothing strange whith that. The funny thing is
<clip>>
>> It sound like the User heap is being exhausted.

<clip>>

Quote:
>It even occurs when there are no other programs running

>/pW

Just a hunch but you are right on the program's memory limit.
Ordinarily you wouldn't care about HOW your memory is handled but
there are slight differences in memory allocations between different
hardware and software.  This could be the difference.

Try looking at the operating systems themselves, the config.sys and
autoexec.bat files to see what differences exist.  All things being
"equal" your 12meg machine may be operating more efficiently - not in
overall megs of RAM but in the allocation of the heap itself.

Then again it could be gremlins, yes?

Good luck!

Mike

Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Out of Memory - Insufficient variable space

Per Wendt

Quote:
> out of memory - insufficient vaiable space

> I get the error message above when i try to run my VB3 projekt. It's a
> large projekt, so it's nothing strange whith that. The funny thing is
> that when I run absolutly the same projekt on another machine it
> compiles fine. WHY? The machines are both Acer 486DX2 66MHz machines.
> The error machine has 16 MB, the other 12 MB. The error machine has more
> virtual memory and more resources left. And the drive with the
> temp-directory has about 30 MB free space.

Try Win95.  Win3.1x has memory problems
Just a suggestion

Mon, 21 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Out of Memory - Insufficient variable space

writes

Quote:

>> >out of memory - insufficient vaiable space

>> >I get the error message above when i try to run my VB3 projekt. It's a
>> >large projekt, so it's nothing strange whith that. The funny thing is
>> >that when I run absolutly the same projekt on another machine it
>> >compiles fine. WHY? The machines are both Acer 486DX2 66MHz machines.
>> >The error machine has 16 MB, the other 12 MB. The error machine has more
>> >virtual memory and more resources left. And the drive with the
>> >temp-directory has about 30 MB free space.

>> >Anobody out there to help me out?

>> It sound like the User heap is being exhausted.

>> Get hold of a resource meter for (win3.1 I presume) and check that the
>> user heap is not full. If there are more programs running on the 16 meg
>> machine, then the user heap may get filled.

>> Micro$oft, in their infinite wisdom, did not implement a workaround for
>> the 64k limit on the User and GDI heap on Win3.1x. On W95, this problem
>> shouldn't occur - but be warned, on Win3.1x machines, these heaps are
>> limited to 64k.
>> --
>> Barry Zubel
>> Shadwell Keenan Ltd.

>It even occurs when there are no other programs running

>/pW

Doesn't necessarily mean programs. Drivers (video, network, scanner,
sound) also take up parts of the User and GDI heap. For instance - try
switching to the Standard Microsoft VGA driver, and see if that helps.

Also - another thought.. how much conventional memory do you have free?
I've had a case where the amount of conventional memory available has
caused out of memory errors in Windows.

Try running Memmaker, and see if that helps at all

--
Barry Zubel
Shadwell Keenan

Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. out of memory - insufficient variable space vb 3.0

2. Out of Memory - Insufficient variable space

3. Out of memory - insufficient variable space

4. Help - Insufficient Variable Space

5. Insufficient Variable Space and a Large Project?

6. Out of Memory - insuff. variable space (VB3.0)

7. variable across different memory space

8. Space Space Space Space Space Space Space

9. Session Variable Time-outs

10. Space Space Space Space Space Space Space

11. Space Space Space Space Space Space Space

12. Error w/ VB 3.0 Enterprise: Out of memory - Insufficient Variable Space.