ADO Help Files and reports using DAO
Author Message
 ADO Help Files and reports using DAO

Is anyone else having problems with the help system not finding anything
on ADO objects?  For example, adOpenKeyset returns nothing.  For this
reason, and because DAO seems easier, I want to use DAO.  The problem is
that the wizzard for data forms is ADO, and the reports are ADO.  Does
anyone know of a wizzard and report system for DAO?  I am very
unimpresses with ADO and don't want to spend a week trying to really
understand it.

Dennis,

Tue, 27 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO Help Files and reports using DAO
Quote:
> Dennis, to be honest, learning how to use ADO will be extremely important
> you. Microsoft is trying very hard to get everyone to start using ADO as
> part of their universal data access initiative.

I agree about the move to ADO, even though MS states don't move to it if you
don't need to thingy...

--

Later,
Tony Fountain, MCP

Tue, 27 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO Help Files and reports using DAO
Download ADO2.1 from Microsoft; it finally implements context-sensitive help
in VB.

That said, you probably shouldn't switch data access libraries based solely
on availability of context-sensitive help or availability of wizards.  ADO
is really much more powerful than DAO in many respects and is well worth its
slight learning curve.

Tue, 27 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO Help Files and reports using DAO
I use ADO 2.x and the help is halfway there and halfway context sensitive.
For example, when viewing the ADO Recordset section of help, not all of the
recordset properties or methods are listed. There is another section in the
Help (which you don't find via context-sensitive navigation) that DOES list
all the ADO Recordset properties and methods. It is all there, but in two
different places.

An excellent ADO reference that I like is ADO 2.0, Wrox Press, ISBN
1-861001-83-5. It has a good, but brief tutorial to ADO.

Quote:

> Is anyone else having problems with the help system not finding anything
> on ADO objects?  For example, adOpenKeyset returns nothing.  For this
> reason, and because DAO seems easier, I want to use DAO.  The problem is
> that the wizzard for data forms is ADO, and the reports are ADO.  Does
> anyone know of a wizzard and report system for DAO?  I am very
> unimpresses with ADO and don't want to spend a week trying to really
> understand it.

> Dennis,

Tue, 27 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO Help Files and reports using DAO
Dennis, to be honest, learning how to use ADO will be extremely important to
you. Microsoft is trying very hard to get everyone to start using ADO as
part of their universal data access initiative. And as you know, what
Microsoft wants, Microsoft gets. Very soon they will almost completely stop
supporting DAO so everyone will be pressured to make the switch.
Fortunately, ADO is an excellent successor and I'm very happy with it.
Quote:

> Is anyone else having problems with the help system not finding anything
> on ADO objects?  For example, adOpenKeyset returns nothing.  For this
> reason, and because DAO seems easier, I want to use DAO.  The problem is
> that the wizzard for data forms is ADO, and the reports are ADO.  Does
> anyone know of a wizzard and report system for DAO?  I am very
> unimpresses with ADO and don't want to spend a week trying to really
> understand it.

> Dennis,

Wed, 28 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ADO Help Files and reports using DAO

2. open an Excel file by using ADO or DAO

3. Accessing database file over internet using DAO/ADO

4. Help needed on using db2, starSQL pro and ADO/DAO

5. DAO and ADO 'Help files'

6. ADO, DAO help files missing

7. Help: Using DAO and ISAM to get to Excel Files

8. Setting DataSource for Report using ADO...Help

9. Invalid File Format error in DB which uses DAO with Access file

10. Invalid File Format error in DB which uses DAO with Access file

11. Linked tables using ADO instead of DAO?

12. Access as data Server Using ADO & DAO