Audio Programming and Serial Port programming advice needed.
Author Message
 Audio Programming and Serial Port programming advice needed.

We have a local radio station that wants their NetShow Encoder to
Start and Stop based on a certain TONE that is fed through their
audio-feed when something incoming is about to arrive.  There are two
ways I forsee this.

  (1) Have the audio-in go straight to the soundblaster, and have my VB
5 program (that does OLE Automation to turn the encoder on/off)
continously look at the audio-in for a certain tone/duration and then
turn the encoder on.  When the tone repeats itself turn the encoder
off.

  (2) They have serial devices that they can connect to the audio source
that is tone activated and have my VB Program continously look at one of
the serial ports.  When a certain signal comes from one of the serial
com ports, my VB 5 program turns encoder on, when another signal comes
in, turn encoder off.

  For option (1), anyone know anything about programming in VB 5 to look
at the audio-in on a soundblaster?!?! Any pointers, directions?

  Or for option (2), anyone know about VB 5 programming to continously
look at the serial port?  Pointers directions?

  I'm assuming that this has been solved/done many times.. Since there
are sooo many radio stations broadcasting over the net now.

  Any replies will be helpful!

  Rick...

Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Audio Programming and Serial Port programming advice needed.

Quote:
>We have a local radio station that wants their NetShow Encoder to
>Start and Stop based on a certain TONE that is fed through their
>audio-feed when something incoming is about to arrive.  There are two
>ways I forsee this.

>  (1) Have the audio-in go straight to the soundblaster, and have my VB
>5 program (that does OLE Automation to turn the encoder on/off)
>continously look at the audio-in for a certain tone/duration and then
>turn the encoder on.  When the tone repeats itself turn the encoder
>off.

>  (2) They have serial devices that they can connect to the audio source
>that is tone activated and have my VB Program continously look at one of
>the serial ports.  When a certain signal comes from one of the serial
>com ports, my VB 5 program turns encoder on, when another signal comes
>in, turn encoder off.

>  For option (1), anyone know anything about programming in VB 5 to look
>at the audio-in on a soundblaster?!?! Any pointers, directions?

>  Or for option (2), anyone know about VB 5 programming to continously
>look at the serial port?  Pointers directions?

>  I'm assuming that this has been solved/done many times.. Since there
>are sooo many radio stations broadcasting over the net now.

>  Any replies will be helpful!

>  Rick...

Watching the serial port for an event will be easier than trying to
detect a tone on the SoundBlaster.  The MSCOMM VBX/OCX control can be
used to monitor the state of a serial port, or it can be done with API
calls.  Since the signal will probably be present for some know period
of time (1 sec, 10 sec, whatever), set a time to trigger the serial
port check event at half that time period - 500ms for a 1 second
signal.

Visit my source code page at http://www.mindspring.com/~johnecarter
Visit my favorite school at http://www.mindspring.com/~addison

Get PR-Tracker -- tracks problem reports, defects, bugs
INFORMATION:  http://www.prtracker.com/info.html
DOWNLOAD:     http://www.prtracker.com/download.html

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. (2nd Post) BASIC programming advice needed: PKWARE'S compression utilities front end application - PROGRAMMING PROJECT

2. Serial Port Programming

3. VB.NET newbie - help with programming serial port

4. Serial port programming problem

5. Serial/Parallel Port Programs

6. How to program the serial port?

7. Serial port programming , looking for suggestions.

8. Sources on Serial/Parallel port programming?

9. Serial Port Programming: Learn a Use API calls.

10. Serial Port Programming

11. Serial Port Programming...

12. Q: SERIAL PORT programming with VB4.0 !!!