Accessing serial (& parallel) ports with NT4
Author Message
 Accessing serial (& parallel) ports with NT4

I am developing a database program that also utilises a serial (or number of
serial) ports on Win NT 4. A friend has told me that there may be problems
accessing the serial port with NT, as NT tends to control access to the
ports. Is this true and if so, how can I get around it?.
I intend using the MSComm control.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Sun, 25 Apr 2004 05:01:58 GMT
 Accessing serial (& parallel) ports with NT4

Quote:

> I am developing a database program that also utilises a serial (or number of
> serial) ports on Win NT 4. A friend has told me that there may be problems
> accessing the serial port with NT, as NT tends to control access to the
> ports. Is this true and if so, how can I get around it?.
> I intend using the MSComm control.

Hi Paul-

This is my standard serial port answer, so ignore what you already know:

--------------<BEGIN QUOTED SECTION>-----------------------------------

Under VB, the MSComm object handles the serial ports. If you are going
to use serial communications under VB,{*filter*} Grier's book is the next
step. Info at http://www.*-*-*.com/

You did not mention what version of VB you have, but if it is not a
"learning edition", you should have MSComm available to you. In VB, just
click the following menu items:
Tools-->Custom Controls-->Microsoft Comm Control

Then just drop an MSComm object on your form and start from there.

For samples, look for the VBTerm and Dialer projects in your
\SAMPLES\VBTERM folder on whatever drive you have installed VB.

Also visit Jan Axelson's site at http://www.*-*-*.com/ for info on all
things serial, parallel and USB.

For a quick look at MSComm visit this URL:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

But I would recommend the VB help on MSComm and *strongly* recommend
Grier's book. You'll be wise to have it on your desk until your project
is completed.

----------------<END QUOTED SECTION>---------------------------------

As to your specific concerns regarding NT and also the issue of parallel
ports, I think you'll find those addressed at Jan's site. She really has
a lot of information there. Go, explore, learn!

Good Luck,

Randy Barrow

Please remove NOSPAM from address for replies

Sun, 25 Apr 2004 07:01:49 GMT
 Accessing serial (& parallel) ports with NT4
You should be fine.  I wrote an app that runs on WinNT 4.0 and uses MSComm.

Although I can't figure out why the MSComm takes up so much CPU usage.  I
have a button that will turn MSComm.PortOpen to False, and the CPU usage
then drops to below 10%.  When it is pressed again, PortOpen is set to True
and the CPU Usage goes back up...

Nice.  =-]

But anyway, you shouldn't have any problem with MSComm in NT4.

r/
-IanCT

Quote:
> I am developing a database program that also utilises a serial (or number
of
> serial) ports on Win NT 4. A friend has told me that there may be problems
> accessing the serial port with NT, as NT tends to control access to the
> ports. Is this true and if so, how can I get around it?.
> I intend using the MSComm control.

> Thanks in advance

> Paul

Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:19:39 GMT
 Accessing serial (& parallel) ports with NT4
Thanks guys,
                    I'll be in touch if I have problems. !!

Paul.

Quote:
> You should be fine.  I wrote an app that runs on WinNT 4.0 and uses
MSComm.

> Although I can't figure out why the MSComm takes up so much CPU usage.  I
> have a button that will turn MSComm.PortOpen to False, and the CPU usage
> then drops to below 10%.  When it is pressed again, PortOpen is set to
True
> and the CPU Usage goes back up...

> Nice.  =-]

> But anyway, you shouldn't have any problem with MSComm in NT4.

> r/
> -IanCT

> > I am developing a database program that also utilises a serial (or
number
> of
> > serial) ports on Win NT 4. A friend has told me that there may be
problems
> > accessing the serial port with NT, as NT tends to control access to the
> > ports. Is this true and if so, how can I get around it?.
> > I intend using the MSComm control.

> > Thanks in advance

> > Paul

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 04:31:17 GMT

1. I/O port, Parallel port, Serial port

2. Parallel Port Access for NT4

3. Serial port/parallel port

4. Serial port/Parallel port

5. Serial/Parallel Port Programs

6. Parallel and Serial Port

7. Sources on Serial/Parallel port programming?

8. Communicating with Serial/Parallel port

9. Parallel or serial port control (direct)

10. Can VB control the parallel or serial ports?

11. Outputing data to parallel or serial ports

12. Reading serial/parallel port data