VB6 Winsock Problem
Author Message
 VB6 Winsock Problem

I've tried several methods in my client/server program to transfer
data using winsock as fast as possible.  However, it seems that no
matter what i do, i get terrible transfer speeds.  Could anyone shed
some light on why the winsock is slow and what can be done through VB
to make it faster.

Thanks

Sat, 14 May 2005 23:33:54 GMT
 VB6 Winsock Problem
Hi Bob,
Not enough infromation, well, for me anyways, so I'll do some assuming here...
I assume you are using TCP and the Internet.
TCP and packet size, this can have a negative impact on performance in and by its self, if the
packets your are creating are to large then TCP will break them up into smaller packets... this
takes time on both ends. If they are to small then your spinning your wheels.
Connection speed, kind of self explanatory.
Internet, now here is a real throttler, depending on current Internet traffic/activity, number of
routers and the work load on them, can add up to a lot of time just waiting is ones que.

Poor ole winsock on the other hand does a lot of waiting on all of the above.

HTH

Quote:
>I've tried several methods in my client/server program to transfer
>data using winsock as fast as possible.  However, it seems that no
>matter what i do, i get terrible transfer speeds.  Could anyone shed
>some light on why the winsock is slow and what can be done through VB
>to make it faster.

>Thanks

Have a good day...

Don

Sun, 15 May 2005 00:09:11 GMT
 VB6 Winsock Problem
I e-mailed you an article that explains TCP better than I can....

Quote:

>Hi Bob,
>Not enough infromation, well, for me anyways, so I'll do some assuming here...
>I assume you are using TCP and the Internet.
>TCP and packet size, this can have a negative impact on performance in and by its self, if the
>packets your are creating are to large then TCP will break them up into smaller packets... this
>takes time on both ends. If they are to small then your spinning your wheels.
>Connection speed, kind of self explanatory.
>Internet, now here is a real throttler, depending on current Internet traffic/activity, number of
>routers and the work load on them, can add up to a lot of time just waiting is ones que.

>Poor ole winsock on the other hand does a lot of waiting on all of the above.

>HTH

>>I've tried several methods in my client/server program to transfer
>>data using winsock as fast as possible.  However, it seems that no
>>matter what i do, i get terrible transfer speeds.  Could anyone shed
>>some light on why the winsock is slow and what can be done through VB
>>to make it faster.

>>Thanks

>Have a good day...

>Don

Have a good day...

Don

Sun, 15 May 2005 00:20:46 GMT

1. .NET Socket vs VB6 Winsock problem!

2. Help with VB6 Winsock problem - data arrives in segments

3. Help with VB6 Winsock problem - data arrives in segments

4. VB6: Winsock senddata problem - help!

5. Winsock problem: SendComplete event missing in VB6

6. VB6 Winsock UDP server port binding problem

7. Winsock Control Problem in VB6

8. Winsock.OCX VB5 & VB6 Problem

9. vb6-winsock-data receive problem

10. VB6 winsock UDP server port binding problem

11. VB6 Winsock Control vs. Winsock API

12. VB6 Winsock Control vs. Winsock API