Studying VB - options 
Author Message
 Studying VB - options

I'm planning to attend the MS VB6 Desktop course very soon. It's an
expensive course, so I'm trying to decide whether I should attend this
course or wait for the VB .Net courses.

I've already completed the VB6 Fundamentals course (1303A) and really
enjoyed it.

Should I go ahead with the VB6 Desktop or wait for the .Net
curriculum?  How long until VB .Net replaces VB6 in the mainstream
development houses?



Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:40:05 GMT  
 Studying VB - options

Quote:

> I'm planning to attend the MS VB6 Desktop course very soon. It's an
> expensive course, so I'm trying to decide whether I should attend this
> course or wait for the VB .Net courses.

If you skip Classic VB and jump right into TEOVBAWKI, you won't miss
everything Microslop b0rked in B# / VB.NOT!

Quote:
> I've already completed the VB6 Fundamentals course (1303A) and really
> enjoyed it.

It may already be too late for you, then.  Here is but a partial list
of the changes and various Gratuitous Incompatibilities.NET:

 URL:http://mvps.org/vb/rants/vfred.htm

Are we having fun yet?

Quote:
> Should I go ahead with the VB6 Desktop or wait for the .Net
> curriculum?  How long until VB .Net replaces VB6 in the mainstream
> development houses?

Considering the Micro$haft Marketing Machine is already in overdrive?

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Wanna buy a Bridge? <http://xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to
because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away, ha ha!



Fri, 01 Oct 2004 05:39:56 GMT  
 Studying VB - options
OK, I went and looked and then looked at the MS explanation the article
refers to.  Not being a lover of VB6, almost ALL of MS's changes made
complete sense to me.  It sounds simpler than VB6's gobble-de-goop.  As I
mentioned before, VB6 takes you east clear around the world just to get to
the west side of the street.

Glenn




Quote:

> > I'm planning to attend the MS VB6 Desktop course very soon. It's an
> > expensive course, so I'm trying to decide whether I should attend this
> > course or wait for the VB .Net courses.

> If you skip Classic VB and jump right into TEOVBAWKI, you won't miss
> everything Microslop b0rked in B# / VB.NOT!

> > I've already completed the VB6 Fundamentals course (1303A) and really
> > enjoyed it.

> It may already be too late for you, then.  Here is but a partial list
> of the changes and various Gratuitous Incompatibilities.NET:

>  URL:http://mvps.org/vb/rants/vfred.htm

> Are we having fun yet?

> > Should I go ahead with the VB6 Desktop or wait for the .Net
> > curriculum?  How long until VB .Net replaces VB6 in the mainstream
> > development houses?

> Considering the Micro$haft Marketing Machine is already in overdrive?

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>  Wanna buy a Bridge?
<http://xenu.net/>
> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!



Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:48:52 GMT  
 Studying VB - options

Quote:

> OK, I went and looked and then looked at the MS explanation the article
> refers to.  Not being a lover of VB6, almost ALL of MS's changes made
> complete sense to me.  It sounds simpler than VB6's gobble-de-goop.  As I
> mentioned before, VB6 takes you east clear around the world just to get to
> the west side of the street.

Any specific examples you'd care to share with the rest of the class,
such as maintaining "per-thread singletons", perhaps?  How about some
exception-safe "resource management" classes?  What if you want to
ask the user, "Save your work?" if s/he clicks that little X, but you
don't want to hold up an automated shutdown or restart, such as those
triggered by low-battery warnings on UPS'?  I guess that's just .NOT
where Micro$haft wants you to go today, is it.

 URL:http://www.devx.com/premier/mgznarch/vbpj/2001/11nov01/qa0111/qa0111.asp

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>   L. Ron Dullard <http://www.xenu.net/>
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming  to
because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away, ha ha!



Fri, 01 Oct 2004 07:39:38 GMT  
 Studying VB - options
On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:39:56 -0700, "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster"

Quote:

>It may already be too late for you, then.  Here is but a partial list
>of the changes and various Gratuitous Incompatibilities.NET:

> URL:http://mvps.org/vb/rants/vfred.htm

>Are we having fun yet?

I'm impressed. I thought they have changed things (like Variants to
Objects), but they've only *upgraded* them.  
LOL I like it !  I won't change lanes on a highway from now on, i'll
simply upgrade to another one.
I guess MS won't mind then as drones of disiilusioned programmers
*upgrade* to a different language ?  

Regards, Frank



Fri, 01 Oct 2004 08:36:18 GMT  
 Studying VB - options
On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:39:38 -0700, "Joe \"Nuke Me Xemu\" Foster"

Quote:


>> OK, I went and looked and then looked at the MS explanation the article
>> refers to.  Not being a lover of VB6, almost ALL of MS's changes made
>> complete sense to me.  It sounds simpler than VB6's gobble-de-goop.  As I
>> mentioned before, VB6 takes you east clear around the world just to get to
>> the west side of the street.

>Any specific examples you'd care to share with the rest of the class,

The 32bit Integer was way overdue. C compilers(that ive used) use 32
bit integers under Win32. Having to refer to a C DLL's integer with a
long always kinda irked me.
Some of the rest make sense if i keep my C boots on. Some others don't
make much sense either way. I guess you get that when you make a major
change, such as this.

Regards, Frank



Fri, 01 Oct 2004 08:56:02 GMT  
 Studying VB - options

Quote:

> I guess MS won't mind then as drones of disiilusioned programmers
> *upgrade* to a different language ?  

Is it that simple? Just jump ship and start programming in another
language?

What about all the existing vb code that needs to be maintained? What
about your existing user base? Put them on hold for 6 months while you
"upgrade" all your source code to a different language that doesn't
have a Microsoft stamp on it? Not such an excellent strategy according
to my accountants.

It's simpler to "upgrade" to another language when you're a
contractor, but it's a different story when you're employed in a
company that is openly a "Microsoft shop".

Nevertheless, what other language do you suggest "upgrading" to?



Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:30:51 GMT  
 Studying VB - options

<sigh>
This has been discussed to death already..

Quote:
>> I guess MS won't mind then as drones of disiilusioned programmers
>> *upgrade* to a different language ?  

>Is it that simple? Just jump ship and start programming in another
>language?
>What about all the existing vb code that needs to be maintained? What
>about your existing user base? Put them on hold for 6 months while you
>"upgrade" all your source code to a different language that doesn't
>have a Microsoft stamp on it? Not such an excellent strategy according
>to my accountants.

Not that simple, but be assured there are a lot of programmers ( just
going by the groups) who seem adament not to be associated with MS
anymore.
Whether you go to another language or go with .Net (is there a
difference? ) , the change will impact on software maintanance and
productivity. A lot of our time will be spent re-learning the {*filter*}
that we learned already in VB, but in a different way.  
Even with the .Net conversion wizard that is on the MS main page.. We
all know about wizards and how they can confuse the hell out of even
the most experienced people..

Quote:
>It's simpler to "upgrade" to another language when you're a
>contractor, but it's a different story when you're employed in a
>company that is openly a "Microsoft shop".

No, not easy for everyone. I personally can fall back to C or even C++
quite comfortably and i don't expect that falling forward onto C# or
VB# would hurt my brain that much ( least from what i've seen of it).
Programmers who grew up with VB and know nothing much of other lower
level languages may find the move either way rather difficult IMO.

Delphi,C,  C++, Java has been said to be possible moves.
Delphi i believe is going Fredish, C and C++ seem like a step
backwards, Java is an unknown to me, but it's just diluted C++. :-)
Anyway, i don't think that TEOVBAWKI is on us just yet. There is a
couple of years left in this baby yet. With various work arounds to
circumvent MS' attempts to kill it off, it may go a fair bit longer
even. So there is no reason to throw corosses yet, plenty of time to
gear up for whatever change each of us take..  IMHO.

Regards, Frank



Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:43:59 GMT  
 Studying VB - options

Quote:

> Anyway, i don't think that TEOVBAWKI is on us just yet.

You're right on this one! What on earth is TEOVBAWKI?
(Mmmmm... I feel a flame comin' my way!)


Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:45:27 GMT  
 Studying VB - options

Quote:

>> Anyway, i don't think that TEOVBAWKI is on us just yet.

>You're right on this one! What on earth is TEOVBAWKI?
>(Mmmmm... I feel a flame comin' my way!)

<fires up flame thrower> Only because you should know this. :-)

The End Of Visual Basic As We Know It

Regards, Frank



Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:00:09 GMT  
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VB.NET Beta Exam Study Materials

2. Studying for 70-306 VB.Net Windows Apps

3. ASP.NET,VB.NET GROUP STUDY

4. Good Book to study the VB Class

5. Question: Microsoft VB Cert. Home Study Course

6. New VB user - need some good code samples to study

7. VB Study Guides

8. Question: Microsoft VB Cert. Home Study Course

9. VB 4.0 student needs basic calculator vbp for study

10. VB Certification Exam Study Guide

11. Option Explicit/Option Strict Settings?

12. Question about Option Strict/Option Explicit

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software