Read IR Remote from Serial Port
Author Message
 Read IR Remote from Serial Port

I'm trying to read an IR Remote (an old Packard Bell Remote that connects to
a serial port) from a serial port using Visual Basic 6.0..

I'm using the MSCOMM control, I've succeeded in communicating between two
serial ports using a serial data cable connecting the two (like laplink
uses)..

However, when I connect the Infrared Remote and press a button I get no data
in the Input Buffer, I only get the Carrier Detect event triggered..

ex..  MSComm1.CommEvent = comEvCD

No data is entered into the input buffer and no other event or error
occurs...  This is confusing me to say the least..  How does the IR Remote
communicate its commands?

More Info:  When I press one of the buttons on the remote it actually
invokes multiple Carrier Detect events.  The result of which is either
'True' or 'False'.  I've tried counting the True's and False's to see if
there is a relation of the count or sequence.  There is not...

ANY help would be appreciated, I have no idea how to get the codes,
information, commands, whatever you want to call it from the Remote
Control...

Thanks

--
Russell Bohlmann

www.ionet.net/~bohlmann

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Read IR Remote from Serial Port
I was wondering if you have had any success because I also have the
device and have a software program wich works but I want ot write my
own  software. I also found a dll wich works with the ir signals but
can't get it to work under vb only c++..and I know very little c++. The
site is http://ziplabel.com/CIR    then the '32 dll' or 'dll and vb'
links.
Thanks
Quote:

> I'm trying to read an IR Remote (an old Packard Bell Remote that connects to
> a serial port) from a serial port using Visual Basic 6.0..

> I'm using the MSCOMM control, I've succeeded in communicating between two
> serial ports using a serial data cable connecting the two (like laplink
> uses)..

> However, when I connect the Infrared Remote and press a button I get no data
> in the Input Buffer, I only get the Carrier Detect event triggered..

> ex..  MSComm1.CommEvent = comEvCD

> No data is entered into the input buffer and no other event or error
> occurs...  This is confusing me to say the least..  How does the IR Remote
> communicate its commands?

> More Info:  When I press one of the buttons on the remote it actually
> invokes multiple Carrier Detect events.  The result of which is either
> 'True' or 'False'.  I've tried counting the True's and False's to see if
> there is a relation of the count or sequence.  There is not...

> ANY help would be appreciated, I have no idea how to get the codes,
> information, commands, whatever you want to call it from the Remote
> Control...

> Thanks

> --
> Russell Bohlmann

> www.ionet.net/~bohlmann

Wed, 07 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. IR Serial COM Port Programming and EscapeCommFunction

2. Printing text through the serial/IR port

3. COM PORT / IR REMOTE CONTROL

4. Help reading IR port

5. How to loop comm port control to read text files through serial port in VB3

6. I/O port, Parallel port, Serial port

7. How do I read my serial port using Access VBA

8. DLL for reading serial port data

9. Read and Write to Serial Ports?

10. Reading Serial ports

11. read data from serial port using vba for Access

12. Reading Serial Port