Need a control to show PCs and their shared folders on local network
Author Message
 Need a control to show PCs and their shared folders on local network

Hi,

In one of my apps, the user has to specify a folder which in some
cases may be located on a PC on the local network.  I need a control
that will display all PCs on the network and their shared folders.
This is essentially what the 'Look In' dropdown box in the MS Common
Dialog Control does.  I've seen such a control in several commercially
available products (such as WinZip 6.2) as well but don't know where I
can purchase it.  Do you know any third party vendors that may have
developed such control?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ali

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need a control to show PCs and their shared folders on local network

Quote:

> Hi,
> In one of my apps, the user has to specify a folder which in some
> cases may be located on a PC on the local network.  I need a control
> that will display all PCs on the network and their shared folders.
> This is essentially what the 'Look In' dropdown box in the MS Common
> Dialog Control does.  I've seen such a control in several commercially
> available products (such as WinZip 6.2) as well but don't know where I
> can purchase it.  Do you know any third party vendors that may have
> developed such control?  Any help would be appreciated.

You have a couple of options for this...

1) controls:

- If you need to place a control into a containing form, the CCRP
  FolderTreeView is in beta right now.

- If you can deal with a dialog box, the CCRP BrowseDialog control v1.0
  has been released.

2) API methods:

- You can show the Browse For Folder dialog box using API calls, thus
  avoiding the overhead and compatibility worries of an ActiveX control.
  A sample project is available at

  http://members.aol.com/btmtz/vb/browsdlg/index.htm

Basically what you want to do is set the root to the Network Neighborhood
virtual folder, using whatever technique is appropriate to the
situation--you should be able to figure it out from either the
documentation (for the controls) or the source code (for the API stuff).

All of these were written by Brad Martinez, who's done a really great job
IMHO.

--

Sun, 03 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need a control to show PCs and their shared folders on local network

2. Need a control to show PCs and their shared folders on local network

3. Show Local AND Shared (network) drives in Browseforfolder

4. I need an example of NET SHARE when creating a local printer share

5. Browseforfolder should show only local and shared drives

6. What is network share name of local drive

7. Network share on local machine

8. how to determine if PC has a connection established to a specific network share

9. how to determine if a PC has a connection established a specific network share

10. Determining if a folder is a local pst folder or a imap (server folder)

11. SHOW ALL TOP LEVEL SHARES IN A NETWORK

12. Connecting to a shared network folder