Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??
Author Message
 Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??

I am sorry.   I am not responding to your message but I was wondering
what the differences are between 4.0 and 4.0a.  I have 4.0 pro.

Thanks

Wa Assalam Alaikum, Wa Rahmato-Allahi Wa Barakatoh.

|                  Mohamed Qasem                    |\
|1) My Personal Home Page is at:                    ||
|   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mqasem/                     ||
|2) My Religion Home Page at:                       ||
|   http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mqasem/religion/islam.html  ||
|3) To see if am currently on the system type:      ||

|___________________________________________________||
\____________________________________________________|

Tue, 15 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??
Is it leagal to sell VB4.0 after recieving VB4.0a??

Enquiring Minds Need To Know

Jim M

Wed, 16 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??

Quote:
>Is it leagal to sell VB4.0 after recieving VB4.0a??

>Enquiring Minds Need To Know

>Jim M

 Only if you also include all manuals disks copyrights documents
etc,etc. Basicly EVERYTHING you got in the box. But then you would no
longer have the legal right to own VB 4.0????

Wed, 16 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??

Quote:
>Is it leagal to sell VB4.0 after recieving VB4.0a??

>Enquiring Minds Need To Know

>Jim M

No. Microsoft's license provides that in a case of an upgrade all past media
must be retained, including manuals.

While I have technically violated that, since I have long since trashed my VB
1.0 and 2.0 manuals and diskettes, selling them or giving them away is
definitely against the rules.

If you buy 4.0a at the full price (not 19.95) then of course you are free to
do whatever you like with 4.0.

/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| My parents went to Castro Street and all I got was this lousy .sig file |
| David Migicovsky           |      {*filter*}? Yes                            |

| Toronto, Ontario           |      Rich-Text Email gleefully accepted    |
\____________________________|____________________________________________/

Wed, 16 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??

Quote:

>>Is it leagal to sell VB4.0 after recieving VB4.0a??

VB 4.0a ?  I didn't realise there had been an update.  What are the
differences, and how does one go about getting hold of 4.0a ?

Paul
| Any opinions expressed are my own and not those of my employer            |
| PLEASE DIRECT ANY EMAIL REPLIES TO THE ADDRESS BELOW, NOT TO THIS ADDRESS.|
+ --------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Paul Dingley - SysOp of Rivendell BBS (UK) Fido 2:2503/221 +44-1623-558988|
|              - 350+ Mail conferences, 1500+ File areas, Free access.      |
|              - Over 8GB Available for free download.                      |

Mon, 21 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??

Quote:
>>Is it leagal to sell VB4.0 after recieving VB4.0a??

It is never legal to sell the old version of a program if you have
purchased an upgrade instead of purchasing a new package.

Steve Young
Young Computing

Publishers of 2WORK(tm), the tool that lets you use ASCII text to write
real .WK1 files

Tue, 22 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??

Quote:
>Even if it is legal, do you want to be selling programs with known
>bugs?  Microsoft has legally protected themselves from their sloppy
>work. Have you?

Is a retailer / reseller responsible for bugs?

Is COMP USA legally protected from selling programs with known bugs??

I bet 99.4% of all programs sold through retail channels have bugs!!

Regards,
-Mike

Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00 GMT
 Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??

Quote:

>>Is it leagal to sell VB4.0 after recieving VB4.0a??
>Enquiring Minds Need To Know

>>Even if it is legal, do you want to be selling programs with known
>>bugs?  Microsoft has legally protected themselves from their sloppy
>>work. Have you?

Quote:
>Is a retailer / reseller responsible for bugs?
>Is COMP USA legally protected from selling programs with known bugs??
>I bet 99.4% of all programs sold through retail channels have bugs!!
>Regards,

Actually, my comment was just another quick kit to MS for the lack of
quality in VB4.  But you raised an interesting issue.  Many retailers
preload software on their systems.  If such software had serious bugs
which caused the customer to loose data, and the retailer was aware of
such problems and still preloaded such software, I  wonder if the
retailer would have some responsibility.  Ofcourse, even if theory
they do, proving it in court and getting damages is another story.

I do question your 99.4% number.  All programs that I have ever used
have had some bugs - it is just a matter of degree.

Steven
Not a lawyer :)

Fri, 25 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??

Quote:
>I do question your 99.4% number.  All programs that I have ever used
>have had some bugs - it is just a matter of degree.

Don't you know that 86.4% of all statistics are made up?

--
Newbiehood is not a period of time, it's a way of life.

http://www.sn.no/~balchen/
ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/balchen/

Fri, 25 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??
Is a retailer / reseller responsible for bugs?

Is COMP USA legally protected from selling programs with known bugs??

I bet 99.4% of all programs sold through retail channels have bugs!!

----

I would accept that 99.4% of all non-trivial programs have bugs. I
don't think its reasonable to expect that software as complex as say,
MS Word, will ship without a single bug.

The problem isn't that software has bugs, its that the vendor won't
fix known bugs, or ships software with known bugs and then charges
the customer for an upgrade release that fixes the old bugs (maybe)
and introduces new ones.

        Joe

Sat, 26 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to get VB4.0A: the snychronization release of VB4

2. Is it legal to sell VB made app.

3. Legal CopyWrite Option In VB4 Make Exe File

4. Does anyone want to sell me a legal copy of VB6 prof

5. *** I AM SELLING SEALED VB4 PROFESSIONAL (CHEAP) ***

6. Anyone selling VB4???

7. Who wants to sell VB4?

8. *** I AM SELLING SEALED VB4 PROFESSIONAL (CHEAP) ***

9. FS: VB5.0 Pro and VB4.0a Pro

10. BeginTrans with Jet3.0 and VB4.0a

11. Numerous VB4.0a Problems ?????

12. Transactions using RDO with VB4.0a