encoding and decoding password
Author Message
 encoding and decoding password

I have several apps receive passwords and store them in a text field.
How can I encode and save the passwords to the field and retrieve and later
decode them for use.  Do you have any algorithm or any ideas how to do this.

Thanks.

Wed, 28 Jul 2004 03:02:06 GMT
 encoding and decoding password

Quote:

>I have several apps receive passwords and store them in a text field.
>How can I encode and save the passwords to the field and retrieve and later
>decode them for use.  Do you have any algorithm or any ideas how to do this.

What you usually want to do with passwords stored in a database is to use a
"one way hash" - the password is encrypted using a process that can't be
reversed, and that encrypted version - the "hash" - is stored in the
database. When the user logs in, their password is hashed again, and that
hash compared to the one in the database. That way, if someone gets into the
database, they still can't get other people's passwords.

The easiest way is to study up on the Windows Crypto API, which is designed
to do exactly this (among other things).  www.devx.com has an article on it
at http://www.devx.com/premier/mgznarch/vbpj/2001/01jan01/da0101/da0101.asp
but you'll have to register to get to it. There's a code sample, though.
Look fairly straightforward. You might also just do a search on Crypto API
and Visual Basic.

--

http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Metacreator character software now available

Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:37:42 GMT
 encoding and decoding password
Peter T,

I have a module that you can use to encrypt and decrypt any text file
you want.

If you would like it just email me. It is very easy to use. Just plug
it into your project and call the methods.

Mavrick

Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:45:48 GMT
 encoding and decoding password
I got it works now by using arrays.

Quote:
> I have several apps receive passwords and store them in a text field.
> How can I encode and save the passwords to the field and retrieve and
later
> decode them for use.  Do you have any algorithm or any ideas how to do
this.

> Thanks.

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:21:55 GMT

1. Decode Encoded-word in MIME field mail using VB.net

2. Encoding - Decoding Variables

3. SOURCE CODE FOR ARC/ZIP DECODING/ENCODING

4. encoding and decoding

5. Encoding decoding what I think is ASCII/ECDB

6. Samples of Huffman encode/decode?

7. Encode/Decode source sample (esempio di codice)

8. Base64 encoding/decoding

9. Encoding/Decoding

10. Encoding/Decoding Mime, UUENCODE, Printed-Quoteable...

11. Encoding & Decoding

12. base64 decoding (encoding probably as well)