Setting up printers without print dialog.
Author Message
 Setting up printers without print dialog.

Dearest Netters: :)

        I am having a small problem with a program I am writing.
We have a computer system that has a network printer and a local printer
(LPT1:).  I want to change the printer without any intervention from the
user.  I use the writeprofilestring dll call.  I call it by sending the
value "windows" and the string of characters that correspond to the printer
I wish to use (located in the [printers] section).  If I then sendmessage
to windows calling a WININICHANGE, when I go to print, it states I have a
printer error.  If I restart windows, I still get a printer error (whether
or not I send the win ini change msg).  The only way I can get it to print
is to manually change the printer, using a printer dialog box.  The user that
I am creating this for, is... not the greatest at following instructions.  So,
for certain items (such as the check my program prints) it must be printed on
dot matrix, allowing for the duplicate copies.  I need to make this as easy as
possible. I have used the FAQ to get as far as I have, but now I am stumped.  I
would prefer the user not have to worry about sending the output to the laser
printer.  Any help would be much appreciated.
Thomas.

Sun, 25 May 1997 02:33:05 GMT
 Setting up printers without print dialog.
Speaking of ...

The probalem I am having is with the printer dialog.  When the user calls
to use a specific printer I have no way of knowing.  the hdc property is
always 0.

Brad
                           Bradley S. Murray
 Princeton Computer Consulting, Inc.      Phone: (609) 799-5300
 20 Lorrie Lane  Box 7345                   Fax: (609) 275-5651

Tue, 27 May 1997 20:22:46 GMT
 Setting up printers without print dialog.

writes:

Quote:
>    I am having a small problem with a program I am writing.
> We have a computer system that has a network printer and a local printer
> (LPT1:).  I want to change the printer without any intervention from the
> user.

Check out pprtr44.zip on all cica,garbo and simtel mirrors, e.g. in
/simtel/win3/dll on oak.oakland.edu ...

  Windows DLL providing higher-level language access via functions to
  retrieve and change all printer attributes available via  ExtDevMode in
  DEVMODE structure (orientation, pagesize, etc).  Also  get list of
  available printers, get/change default printer, get port, get printer
  device capabilities.  Shareware $10. CIS SWREG available (#1462).

---------------------
"Programming is the art of debugging a blank sheet of paper"
Paul F Poellinger              2019 Round Lake Drive
Silent O Software              Houston, TX  77077

Thu, 29 May 1997 05:28:13 GMT

1. printing without printer settings dialog

2. printing without prompting the printer dialog

3. Print a HTML-document from a VB6-application without the printer dialog appearing

4. Printer Dialog sets System Wide Printer settings....

5. Printer Dialog sets System Wide Printer settings....

6. Get Printer settings WITHOUT Print

7. Problem setting the active printer of Word 97 without changing the Windows default printer

8. Getting the printer settings without initialising the printer?

9. Try Again: How to change the printer in the Print Dialog of the Common Dialog

10. Printing to COM serial Printer without using Printer Control

11. Printing without displaying the "Print Dialog"?

12. Printing without print-dialog