'' Cannot be loaded - HELP
Author Message
 '' Cannot be loaded - HELP

Hi
I get this message ('' Cannot be loaded) whenever I try to add comclt32
to my project.  The DLL is there, the OCX is there, even the DEP is
there.  I reinstalled VB twice trying to get it back.  The control
package came with VB, and all I really want is the treeview control.

Anybody know what's going on?

James

Wed, 07 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 '' Cannot be loaded - HELP
Have you tried running regsvr32.exe in your windows system dir. The command
line would be "regsvr32 comctl.ocx" . This program registers ocx's and dll's
with your system. I hope this helps.

Frank J. Vanhoof

Quote:

>Hi
>I get this message ('' Cannot be loaded) whenever I try to add comclt32
>to my project.  The DLL is there, the OCX is there, even the DEP is
>there.  I reinstalled VB twice trying to get it back.  The control
>package came with VB, and all I really want is the treeview control.

>Anybody know what's going on?

>James

Thu, 08 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 '' Cannot be loaded - HELP
Thanks, Frank, but Oh Yeah, I've tried that and every other thing I can
think of
Nice try

James

Thu, 08 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 '' Cannot be loaded - HELP
I believe your problem is a registry problem if after deleting the OCX (you
can not load) from your hard drive and then uninstalling VB and installing
it again doesn't solve the problem.

I have two solutions:

1.  Uninstall VB and make sure the OCX in question and its dep file is
removed from your hard drive.  Run RegClean to remove (hopefully) any
remnants of VB that the uninstall left in the registry.  If this doesn 't
work try 2.

2.  Make sure your registry is backed up.  Take one of your projects that
uses the control in question, with a text editor open the vpb file for that
project, you will see a very long number associated with the particular OCX
in question.  Copy that number.  Run Regedit and search for that number.
Study all the entries you find. If you can find a version number in some of
the entries that is newer than the one for VB 5 (I assume you are using VB
5) then remove the data for those entries referring to this newer version.

For example, I solved a problem of the common dialog control not loading by
finding all registry entries where ver 1.2 (version 6 ) was listed and
deleted them.  Then my VB 5 comdlg32.OCX would again load.  I didn't think
about #1 above until after I had done this.

I didn't have to do it, but I assume you could actually remove all entries
that you find in your search and you would lose nothing but the particular
control in question.  Then an install of VB again should restore them.  But
I didn't have to do this so I  can't verify that all hell wouldn't break
lose on your system.  However, that is what the registry backup is for.

Quote:

>Thanks, Frank, but Oh Yeah, I've tried that and every other thing I can
>think of
>Nice try

>James

Thu, 08 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 '' Cannot be loaded - HELP
Hi,
Is it possible you have the Learning Edition? If so then this is one of the
controls switched off. I had the same problem.
It was corrected for me when some other program switched it on..So it must
be a registry switch..
But there again, I'm an idiot..So take it with a pinch of slat.
Cheers

--

"Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom"

Quote:

>Hi
>I get this message ('' Cannot be loaded) whenever I try to add comclt32
>to my project.  The DLL is there, the OCX is there, even the DEP is
>there.  I reinstalled VB twice trying to get it back.  The control
>package came with VB, and all I really want is the treeview control.

>Anybody know what's going on?

>James

Thu, 08 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 '' Cannot be loaded - HELP
Terry
Not the Learning Edition, but it *was* a reg problem
James
Quote:

> Hi,
> Is it possible you have the Learning Edition? If so then this is one of the
> controls switched off. I had the same problem.
> It was corrected for me when some other program switched it on..So it must
> be a registry switch..
> But there again, I'm an idiot..So take it with a pinch of slat.
> Cheers

> --

> "Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, United Kingdom"

> >Hi
> >I get this message ('' Cannot be loaded) whenever I try to add comclt32
> >to my project.  The DLL is there, the OCX is there, even the DEP is
> >there.  I reinstalled VB twice trying to get it back.  The control
> >package came with VB, and all I really want is the treeview control.

> >Anybody know what's going on?

> >James

Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 '' Cannot be loaded - HELP
On the VB CD there are several files with the extension .reg.  Open them
with regedit.exe.  Problem solved.

John von Colditz
Ki Software Corporation

Quote:

>Thanks, Frank, but Oh Yeah, I've tried that and every other thing I can
>think of
>Nice try

>James

Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Cannot Load DLL '?????L?'...

2. Help with 'cannot use parens' error

3. Cannot delete image file from network drive once it's loaded into imagelist

4. Just the BASIC's ma'am.

6. 'Microsoft.Office.Interop' cannot be found

7. Cannot interpret token 'Child'

8. Run-time error '-2147221231 (80040111)': Automation error ClassFactory cannot supply requested class

9. help: I' am new to VB

10. cannot find 'comm96.hlp'

11. MSMAIL 'Cannot Connect to Postoffice'

12. RTE '3706' - Provider cannot be found