Help w/ printing to non-default printer
Author Message
 Help w/ printing to non-default printer

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question as  I am new to VB & Windows
programming.  I am writing an application which will need to always print
to the same printer(It's a bar code printer).  The user will have other
applications that will use the windows defualt printer.  Is there any way,
in VB, to direct all printer output from an application to a specific
printer other than the default.  The barcode printer and laser printer
will be Novell print server printers. Any code examples or suggestions
would be much appreciated.

Please reply via email and a post here.

Thanks in Advance,
Donovan

Wed, 18 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Help w/ printing to non-default printer
 Is there any way,

Quote:
>in VB, to direct all printer output from an application to a specific
>printer other than the default.

No, vb just prints to a single device context represented
by the printer object.  You could declare your own and do
all you own dc management, but then why use VB.

Instead, you can change the default, print, and change it
back:
check out pprtr44.zip in cica, garbo or simtel mirrors
(pprtr4.zip on CIS or AOL), e.g. in /simtel/win3/dll
on oak.oakland.edu (or ftp.coast.net, their latest, fastest
mirror) ...

  Windows DLL providing higher-level language access via
functions to  retrieve and change all printer attributes
available via  ExtDevMode in DEVMODE structure orientation,
pagesize, etc).  Also  get list of available printers,
get/change default printer, get port, get printer device
capabilities.  Shareware $10. CIS SWREG available (#1462).
  Mentioned in April 95 VBPJ Q&A section.

---------------------
"Programming is the art of debugging a blank sheet of
paper"
Paul F Poellinger              2019 Round Lake Drive
Silent O Software              Houston, TX  77077

        http://rampages.onramp.net/~pelican

Thu, 19 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Help w/ printing to non-default printer

:  Is there any way,
: >in VB, to direct all printer output from an application to a specific
: >printer other than the default.

: No, vb just prints to a single device context represented
: by the printer object.  You could declare your own and do
: all you own dc management, but then why use VB.

: Instead, you can change the default, print, and change it
: back:

Seems at least a little bit non-Windows'ish to assume that you have
exclusive access to a resource such as the default printer. Would there be
a problem if another app decides to print to the current printer while you
have the default temporarily changed.

--

EDMONTON, Alberta, CANADA

Mon, 23 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Q: Printing report on non-default printer w/o user selecting printer

2. Printer.Print on non-default printer

3. printer default to non-default printer

4. How selecting a (non-default) printer for printing a report

5. Printing to non-default printer

6. How do I Print to non-default printer in VB5

7. Printing to non-default printer

8. printing to non-default printer

9. Print on a non-default printer

10. Print to non-default printer

11. Macro that selects printer and prints doc also changes default printer

12. Printing to a printer that is NOT the default printer