VB to Execute Access Report - Access report displayed on Web
Author Message
 VB to Execute Access Report - Access report displayed on Web

I have an interesting project.  I've been asked to display an Access
2000 report on our webpage.  We would use an ASP form on the page, and
a command button which would ultimately display the report to the end
user (The Access.. formatted report... somehow).

I am trying to determine methodology for this.  My boss would like the
dataset to come from SQL.  My VB dll could do the sql selects based on
input from the ASP page, then somehow send the data (or have Access
open the SQL table) to the report, then the report would be displayed
on the Web.

Can I execute an access report from VB and display this using ASP to
an end user on the web?

Should I have ADO execute SQL queries thru my VB DLL, or should I set
these up as Access queries and execute them thru VB?.. I can massage
my final data table either way.. which way is faster?

How would you all approach this project?
Any forseeable roadblocks I may encounter?
Any other 3rd party products that may work better?

Thanks in advance

JT

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:22:17 GMT
 VB to Execute Access Report - Access report displayed on Web
Jarred,

Microsoft has a free ActiveX control for viewing Access reports that you can
use in a VB program or on a Web page when using IE. Check the Microsoft site
for "Snapview" and you should find the files to download.

Once the report is created in Access, use the Access Export function and
save it as a SNP file. The Snapview control has a property to point to this
.snp file to render the report in a Web page or VB program form.

Eric

Quote:
> I have an interesting project.  I've been asked to display an Access
> 2000 report on our webpage.  We would use an ASP form on the page, and
> a command button which would ultimately display the report to the end
> user (The Access.. formatted report... somehow).

> I am trying to determine methodology for this.  My boss would like the
> dataset to come from SQL.  My VB dll could do the sql selects based on
> input from the ASP page, then somehow send the data (or have Access
> open the SQL table) to the report, then the report would be displayed
> on the Web.

> Can I execute an access report from VB and display this using ASP to
> an end user on the web?

> Should I have ADO execute SQL queries thru my VB DLL, or should I set
> these up as Access queries and execute them thru VB?.. I can massage
> my final data table either way.. which way is faster?

> How would you all approach this project?
> Any forseeable roadblocks I may encounter?
> Any other 3rd party products that may work better?

> Thanks in advance

> JT

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:10:50 GMT
 VB to Execute Access Report - Access report displayed on Web
I would need to execute the Access report from my VB DLL as well.  I
am wondering how this is exactly going to work.  I can execute a bunch
of queries thru a macro in Access, have it go to SQL to bring in the
data, create the report and save it as this "snapshot" file, then have
the ASP display it on the webpage like you suggested.

I am wondering if this is a good way to do it, else just buy Crystal
Reports or something and created a canned .exe report that displays to
the web with asp.

What do you all think is a better solution?  I mean the only reason
I'd use access is for the actual report format.  Everything else I can
do really on the SQL end, which is preferred.

JT

Quote:

> Jarred,

> Microsoft has a free ActiveX control for viewing Access reports that you can
> use in a VB program or on a Web page when using IE. Check the Microsoft site
> for "Snapview" and you should find the files to download.

> Once the report is created in Access, use the Access Export function and
> save it as a SNP file. The Snapview control has a property to point to this
> .snp file to render the report in a Web page or VB program form.

> Eric

> > I have an interesting project.  I've been asked to display an Access
> > 2000 report on our webpage.  We would use an ASP form on the page, and
> > a command button which would ultimately display the report to the end
> > user (The Access.. formatted report... somehow).

> > I am trying to determine methodology for this.  My boss would like the
> > dataset to come from SQL.  My VB dll could do the sql selects based on
> > input from the ASP page, then somehow send the data (or have Access
> > open the SQL table) to the report, then the report would be displayed
> > on the Web.

> > Can I execute an access report from VB and display this using ASP to
> > an end user on the web?

> > Should I have ADO execute SQL queries thru my VB DLL, or should I set
> > these up as Access queries and execute them thru VB?.. I can massage
> > my final data table either way.. which way is faster?

> > How would you all approach this project?
> > Any forseeable roadblocks I may encounter?
> > Any other 3rd party products that may work better?

> > Thanks in advance

> > JT

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:24:42 GMT

1. Displaying pictures in reports or running Access reports from VB

2. from visual basic to access report(send query to access report))

3. Printing Access reports or using Access to print/preview reports

4. Displaying Access reports from VB

5. Displaying Access Reports from a VB 6 application

6. Can VB 4 display/print Access Reports?

7. Displaying Access Reports from a VB 6 application

8. MDI - Displaying access reports from VB

9. Can VB 4 display/print Access Reports?

10. Displaying Access reports from VB

11. display an Access report with VB

12. Display Access Report in VB