13 year old needs ASCII help
Author Message
 13 year old needs ASCII help

whats the ascii value (keyboard value) for-

*number pad
*caps lock, shit, tab, alt, ctrl, enter, space, backspace
*insert, home, page up, delete, end, page down
*f1 - f12
*symbols

i know vbkeya and vbkey1 are top numbers and letters but i'd like to know
what the code is for all the other keys and if theres an ascii value for
lower case letters and upercase letters seperately

***Please list examples in response***

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:53:31 GMT
 13 year old needs ASCII help
 >whats the ascii value (keyboard value) for-
 >
 >*number pad
 >*caps lock, shit, tab, alt, ctrl, enter, space, backspace
 >*insert, home, page up, delete, end, page down
 >*f1 - f12
 >*symbols
 >
 >i know vbkeya and vbkey1 are top numbers and letters but i'd like to know
 >what the code is for all the other keys and if theres an ascii value for
 >lower case letters and upercase letters seperately

Josh, we don't need to know your age to be willing to help... helping is what
the newsgroup is all about. For tips on effective use of technical
newsgroups, not just this one, see the Access newsgroup FAQ at
http://www.mvps.org/access/netiquette.htm.

ASCII is a code for representing characters; it is not the same as the
keycode, and will be no different for a "1" entered from the numeric keys at
the top of the keyboard or a "1" entered from the number pad. To find the
ASCII code of any character you can type, open the Immediate Window and enter

 ? Asc("L")     where A is the character of interest
 Asc("L") by the way is 76, which is a decimal value

I haven't needed one in some time, but used to have several ASCII charts that
showed the characters and ASCII numeric equivalents. You can probably find
one on the Net if you are good at searching.

You can print the keycode of a key, by putting code in the KeyDown event, and
either using Debug.Print to "print" it to the Immediate Window or a MsgBox
statement to display it. "KeyCode" is one of the automatically-supplied
arguments for the KeyDown event. (Create form, create a text box, click view
code, select the name of the text box in the left drop down, then select
KeyDown in the right-hand drop down.

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:23:24 GMT
 13 year old needs ASCII help
Josh,

Start an instance of VB, and open the object browser.  Select the VBRUN
library, and look for the KeyCodeConstants ENum.  This lists all the
constants for the keyboard keys.

Note that you cannot differenciate between upper and lower case with these
constants as they only represent the Key that was pressed.  You need to
compare them with the KeyCode value in the KeyDown and KeyUp events  If you
want to know if the key was upper case or lower case, examine the value of
the Shift value in the above events.  This will tell you the status of the
Alt, Ctrl and Shift keys.

If you just want to deal with acsii characters, then use the KeyPress event.
As Larry says, you can work out the Ascii values from the immediate window,
or you could write a smapp app that displayed teh value every time you
pressed a key.

HTH

Bill

Quote:
> whats the ascii value (keyboard value) for-

> *number pad
> *caps lock, shit, tab, alt, ctrl, enter, space, backspace
> *insert, home, page up, delete, end, page down
> *f1 - f12
> *symbols

> i know vbkeya and vbkey1 are top numbers and letters but i'd like to know
> what the code is for all the other keys and if theres an ascii value for
> lower case letters and upercase letters seperately

> ***Please list examples in response***

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:21:52 GMT

1. 13 year old needs ASCII help

2. 13 year old needs ASCII help

3. 13 year old needs animation help

4. 13 year old needs animation help

5. 13 year old needs animation help

6. A GOOD TUTORIAL FOR A 13 YEAR OLD

7. Close file without ascii 13 and ascii 10?

8. Need help: colors on SCREEN 13

9. Need help with page flipping using SCREEN 13

10. Error 13 Help Needed - Correction

11. Error 13 Help Needed

12. Help needed with runtime error 13