Crashes with VB6 and WinXP
Author Message
 Crashes with VB6 and WinXP

I am a student using WinXP and VB6 Professional on a new Dell home computer.

I am using the data environment (because the teacher says we have to)  and when
I right-click the command and select properties from the drop-down menu, VB
crashes with the message "Visual Basic has encountered a problem and needs to
close". (Everything since the last save is lost.) It then gives me the option
of reporting the error to Microsoft.  I did that the first 20 times the thing
crashed. I have learned the importance of saving often!

Any suggestions as to the problem and a solution (other than trashing WinXP and
installing Win2000)?

TIA
don

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:23:39 GMT
 Crashes with VB6 and WinXP

 > using WinXP and VB6 Professional on
 > a new Dell home computer.
 >
 > I am using the data environment (because
 > the teacher says we have to)  and when
 > I right-click the command and select
 > properties from the drop-down menu, VB
 > crashes with the message "Visual Basic
 > has encountered a problem and needs to
 > close". (Everything since the last save
 > is lost.) It then gives me the option
 > of reporting the error to Microsoft.  I
 > did that the first 20 times the thing
 > crashed. I have learned the importance
 >of saving often!

Have you applied all the Service Releases to both VB and to Jet 4.0? I
believe both have 5 SRs, but just check at the Microsoft site to make
certain. Are there any patches or SRs or SPs available for Win XP? If
so, apply those, too.

Did you search the Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com to
see if you could find anything on this problem?

I'd heard of some "glitches" with VB6 apps and Win XP, but hadn't
heard about this one. Then again, I don't have Win XP on any of my
machines; if I got a new one and had the choice, I'm not sure I'd opt
for it over W2K.

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 01:52:45 GMT
 Crashes with VB6 and WinXP

Quote:

> I'd heard of some "glitches" with VB6 apps and Win XP, but hadn't
> heard about this one. Then again, I don't have Win XP on any of my
> machines; if I got a new one and had the choice, I'm not sure I'd opt
> for it over W2K.

Just a quick comment to this: I've been using VB6 on XP since XP was
released last year (new install on a three year old laptop) and I
haven't encountered a single glitch in that time. Both XP and VB has
been extremely stable (never a reboot, lockup or any similar
problems).

- Gandalf

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:32:28 GMT
 Crashes with VB6 and WinXP
I am also running VB 6 on XP.. and have no problems.. I recently installed the
latest SP for VB6 and am still running very smooth.. (Crossing Fingers)

>> I'd heard of some "glitches" with VB6 apps and Win XP, but hadn't
>> heard about this one. Then again, I don't have Win XP on any of my
>> machines; if I got a new one and had the choice, I'm not sure I'd opt
>> for it over W2K.

>Just a quick comment to this: I've been using VB6 on XP since XP was
>released last year (new install on a three year old laptop) and I
>haven't encountered a single glitch in that time. Both XP and VB has
>been extremely stable (never a reboot, lockup or any similar
>problems).

>- Gandalf

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:46:56 GMT
 Crashes with VB6 and WinXP
Thanks for the help. I have applied the VB SP4, but not anything for Jet.

Two other factors--EVERY time I close VB it crashes with the same message. The
same version with the same updates ran fine under Win98 SE.

I think I will re-install and apply the latest updates.

Thanks again for the help

don

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 19:39:54 GMT

1. VB97 and VB6 crashing in WinXP Pro

2. PROBLEM!!-->VB Application/IE6 crashing behavior when running a WinNT built app on WinXP

3. Calendar control 8.0 crash in WinXP Home Edition

4. Help, VB6 Pro WinXP Pro Win98 2nd

5. VB6 SP5 project size limit with WinXP?

6. VB6 app refuses to shut down in WinXP

7. Using a scanner in IE with VB6 on WinXP

8. Question about ASP/WinXP/VB6.0

9. WinXP & VB6 (sp5) compatibility

10. Using a scanner in IE with VB6 on WinXP

11. in WinXP, VB6 Scrollbar control does not render in XP Style

12. mswinsck.ocx VB6(SP5) - progs won't work with WinXP