Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard
Author Message
 Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard

Quote:

> I have Visual Basic 3.0 and have had numerous problems with the Setup
> Wizard Included.  Those have ranged from the lack of the dll OLE2UI to
> the application disks not finding DDEML.DLL.

> Is there a better Setup program out there, either Shareware, or
> Commercial???

> Anything would be greatly appreciated.

> Dan Thimm

> "Learning the Hard Way"......

I believe that creating a setup program yourself wouldn't be that much
of a hazzard.  I also think that the vb3 guides address that issue in
one of the chapters.  Take a look at that possibility.  I also have many
troubles with that cursed setup wizard.

To get around the ddeml.dll problem, just copy that dll into the setup
directory which holds your work.  That exact directory will appear in
the warning message that says it can't find it.  It's an annoying way,
but it is a way.

Larry Dillingham Jr.

Sat, 24 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard

I have Visual Basic 3.0 and have had numerous problems with the Setup
Wizard Included.  Those have ranged from the lack of the dll OLE2UI to
the application disks not finding DDEML.DLL.

Is there a better Setup program out there, either Shareware, or
Commercial???

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Thimm

"Learning the Hard Way"......

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard

"Chapter 25 - Distributing Yours Applications" of the VB Programmer's
Guide addresses this issue.

While we are on the subject of Setup, is there a version of VER.DLL
that is smart enough not to copy a file if it determines that the
existing copy is exactly the same version?  I find quite a bit of
setup time is wasted replacing files with identical copies.  It makes
no sense to me.

-- alec

Quote:

>> I have Visual Basic 3.0 and have had numerous problems with the Setup
>> Wizard Included.  Those have ranged from the lack of the dll OLE2UI to
>> the application disks not finding DDEML.DLL.

>> Is there a better Setup program out there, either Shareware, or
>> Commercial???

>> Anything would be greatly appreciated.

>> Dan Thimm

>> "Learning the Hard Way"......
>I believe that creating a setup program yourself wouldn't be that much
>of a hazzard.  I also think that the vb3 guides address that issue in
>one of the chapters.  Take a look at that possibility.  I also have many
>troubles with that cursed setup wizard.
>To get around the ddeml.dll problem, just copy that dll into the setup
>directory which holds your work.  That exact directory will appear in
>the warning message that says it can't find it.  It's an annoying way,
>but it is a way.
>Larry Dillingham Jr.

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard

Hi Dan.

Check out InstallShield Express Professional. Excellent product. They are
on the Web at:

www.installshield.com

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

"When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro."
         -- R. Duke

> I have Visual Basic 3.0 and have had numerous problems with the Setup
> Wizard Included.  Those have ranged from the lack of the dll OLE2UI to
> the application disks not finding DDEML.DLL.

> Is there a better Setup program out there, either Shareware, or
> Commercial???

> Anything would be greatly appreciated.

> Dan Thimm

> "Learning the Hard Way"......

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard

Quote:
>While we are on the subject of Setup, is there a version of VER.DLL
>that is smart enough not to copy a file if it determines that the
>existing copy is exactly the same version?  I find quite a bit of
>setup time is wasted replacing files with identical copies.  It makes
>no sense to me.

The assumption seems to have been that in case the file was corrupted,
this would be needed to restore it.  More advanced (IMO) installers,
like WISE, make this behavior alterable.

     Bob O`Bob
--

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard

Quote:

> Hi Dan.

> Check out InstallShield Express Professional. Excellent product. They are
> on the Web at:

> www.installshield.com

> Let me know if I can be of any more help.

> "When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro."
>          -- R. Duke

> > I have Visual Basic 3.0 and have had numerous problems with the Setup
> > Wizard Included.  Those have ranged from the lack of the dll OLE2UI to
> > the application disks not finding DDEML.DLL.

> > Is there a better Setup program out there, either Shareware, or
> > Commercial???

> > Anything would be greatly appreciated.

> > Dan Thimm

> > "Learning the Hard Way"......

I too have written my own setup program after trying 3 professional
ones. So while we are on the subject does anyone know of some reference
material about "Ver.dll".

Sun, 25 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard

Quote:

>I have Visual Basic 3.0 and have had numerous problems with the Setup
>Wizard Included.  Those have ranged from the lack of the dll OLE2UI to
>the application disks not finding DDEML.DLL.

I have tried the setup wizard and also could not find the file
OLE2UI.DLL.  I have looked all over the net and cannot find it...

Questions:  I'm not quite sure what exactly the setup wizard is meant
to do.  I've written programs for people and have just included the
VBRUN300.dll and told them to put it in WINDOWS\SYSTEM.  Does the
SETUP WIZARD automatically package that file (along with other VBX's
necessary for program)??  If I send someone a program that I have
setup with the wizard, does the VBRUN automatically get loaded into
WINDOWS\SYSTEM? If not, what the heck does setup wizard do?

Otherwise, if I want to distribute my program, how do I get the VBRUN
into user's WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory?

Last, can someone PLEASE email or post that damn OLE2UI.DLL file, or
tell me where to get it on the Net?  If I get that file, will the
wizard work, or are there more problems I'll encounter after that??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Sat, 01 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard

What the Setup Wizard does is to go through your project file and look
at the collection of references to add-ons and plug-ins and controls
used, and to compile a list of the items which need to be packaged along
with the run-time components.  It asks you to specify some additional
components which it cannot identify by inspecting the source, and allows
you to specify additional items needed such as a database or ini file.

Having done all this, it compresses all the files, divides them if
necessary into chunks that will fit on one disk, compiles the program so
that it has the latest executable, and shoves the whole lot onto
diskettes for you.  The first diskette contains a poor relation of the
setup program used by Microsoft and supervises everything including
placing the correct files in the correct locations as defined in your
project and setting up a program group and items if a Windows 3.x
installation.  All this is done by a program created by the Wizard which
will be called SETUP1.EXE - the nitty-gritty will be found in SETUP1.FRM
in the Form_Load event handler.

If you don't have a DLL on your system and the application runs, then
you don't need it - delete it from the list of files the Wizard produces
and save the template for the next time you do it.  If you test the
installation and find files missing, add them to the template (.vbz
file) and regenerate the set of disks.  Missing files can be located
either because they are named when an attempt is made to reference them,
or by using the WPS utility included with the Control Development Kit
(\VB\CDK\WPS.EXE by default).

The setup program is less bulletproof than InstallShield, which seems to
be the most commonly used setup program, but it's a great deal easier to
use (I'm trying to set up an InstallShield installation at the moment,
because we want a bulletproof one, and it's a challenge!).

Quote:

> >I have Visual Basic 3.0 and have had numerous problems with the Setup
> >Wizard Included.  Those have ranged from the lack of the dll OLE2UI to
> >the application disks not finding DDEML.DLL.

> I have tried the setup wizard and also could not find the file
> OLE2UI.DLL.  I have looked all over the net and cannot find it...

> Questions:  I'm not quite sure what exactly the setup wizard is meant
> to do.  I've written programs for people and have just included the
> VBRUN300.dll and told them to put it in WINDOWS\SYSTEM.  Does the
> SETUP WIZARD automatically package that file (along with other VBX's
> necessary for program)??  If I send someone a program that I have
> setup with the wizard, does the VBRUN automatically get loaded into
> WINDOWS\SYSTEM? If not, what the heck does setup wizard do?

> Otherwise, if I want to distribute my program, how do I get the VBRUN
> into user's WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory?

> Last, can someone PLEASE email or post that damn OLE2UI.DLL file, or
> tell me where to get it on the Net?  If I get that file, will the
> wizard work, or are there more problems I'll encounter after that??

> Thanks in advance for any help!!

Sun, 02 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard

Quote:
> Last, can someone PLEASE email or post that damn OLE2UI.DLL file, or
> tell me where to get it on the Net?  If I get that file, will the
> wizard work, or are there more problems I'll encounter after that??

There were bugs in the setup wizard.  This one was cured before June 94,
according to the knowledge base.  You must have missed it when you were
searching the Knowledge Base.

You should obtain a copy of SETUPK.EXE which cures this and other things.
ARCHIE will tell you where your nearest copy is.

--
Peter Hesketh from Mynyddbach, Monmouthshire, UK

Sun, 02 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a better Setup Program than Setup Wizard

I have used WISE for a  number of years after a suggestion from users of
this group. It's great! I love it. It's has saved me scads of time. Check
them out at http://www.glbs.com

Not affiliated just a happy user.

Eric

Sun, 02 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB6 my setup program created with the setup wizard is SLOW

2. VB4 Setup Wizard and other Setup Programs

3. Setup Wizard out.....my setup program in.

4. Windows 95 B, Setup Wizard Issues Setup.EXE on Windows 95 A

5. VB - Setup Wizard - Run SETUP.exe

6. setup tool kit and setup wizard question

7. Setup Wizard: launch app after setup - HOW?

8. Setup errors using setup wizard

9. Windows 95 B, Setup Wizard Issues Setup.EXE on Windows 95 A

10. SETUP WIZARD - Invalid line in setup information file!

11. VB5 Setup Wizard - internet download setup

12. GPF running SETUP.EXE that VB5 Setup Wizard created