ODBC to SQL Server is Slow
Author Message
 ODBC to SQL Server is Slow

I find that connecting to, and accessing rows from SQL Server from VB3 is
slow.  Even taking into account logging in to SQL Server.  vbsql however
is much faster.  Have you seen this slowness?

Elliott

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC to SQL Server is Slow

Quote:

>I find that connecting to, and accessing rows from SQL Server from VB3 is
>slow.  Even taking into account logging in to SQL Server.  vbsql however
>is much faster.  Have you seen this slowness?
>Elliott

I have a query program written in VB using a datacontrol that will
return 250 records from a wide 4500 record SQL Server table in about 4
seconds (using SQL Passthrough).

A like VBSQL program took 8 seconds (and only returned 200).

Now I'm not saying VBSQL is slower--at all.  It was in this case, and
the data control was a lot easier to use.

/*

   Oak Ridge National Laboratory
   http://www.ornl.gov
*/

Sat, 07 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC to SQL Server is Slow

Quote:

>I find that connecting to, and accessing rows from SQL Server from VB3 is
>slow.  Even taking into account logging in to SQL Server.  vbsql however
>is much faster.  Have you seen this slowness?

>Elliott

I have been using an ODBC driver to access an Informix database and a
Foxpro database.  I have also found that the selects using the ODBC are
about 50% slower.  In using the Informix database, I try to use the
"passthrough" option whenever possible.

The good point about using ODBC is that I have the flexibility to use any
database.

Sun, 08 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Insert into SQL Server slow, slow, slow...

2. VB Sql Server Via ADO Problem: [Microsoft][ODBC Sql Server Driver]

3. Insert date type varible through ODBC SQL server driver to SQL 7.0 database

4. SQL Server slower than Jet, why???

5. SQL Server slower than Access?

6. vb5/sql server slow

7. SQL Server slow on some workstations

8. Slow VB3.0 and SQL Server?

9. SQL Server slower than Access?

10. Importing Text to SQL Server Waaaaaayyyy Too Slow!

11. Dataenvironment and SQL server slow

12. SQL Server Stored Procedure too slow ?