Using commit/rollback with Oracle and RDO
Author Message
 Using commit/rollback with Oracle and RDO

We have:
VB 4 applications running on NT 4.0 machine
VB 5 ODBC driver V2.? (because it works)
RDO V1.?
SQL*Net V2.3
Oracle V7.3.2 database on SCO UNIX server

We are trying to figure out how to use stored procedures and
commit/rollback with RDO.  We try doing things like

        rdoConn.BeginTrans
        ret_cd = rdoConn.CreateQuery ('{call stored_proc (?, ?) }')
        if ret_cd = good_Query then
                rdoConn.EndTrans        ' or whatever a "commit" equivalent may be
        else
                rdoConn.Rollback        ' or whatever the syntax is for a rollback
        end if

and also substituting "rdoConn.Execute ('commit')" for EndTrans, etc.

With any method, committing or rolling back do not seem to work.
Everything always ends up being committed.  Any suggestions?  Code
examples would be nice.  Would going to RDO V2 help?  We will also be
trying to call multiple stored procedures in a row, trying to ipmlement
the ability to rollback all the way before the calling of the first stored
procedure.  Any special things to watch out for there?  If anyone knows of
a relevant Microsoft knowledge base article, please let me know.

--
tkupp at pacifier dot com

Sun, 26 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Using commit/rollback with Oracle and RDO

Quote:

> We have:
> VB 4 applications running on NT 4.0 machine
> VB 5 ODBC driver V2.? (because it works)
> RDO V1.?
> SQL*Net V2.3
> Oracle V7.3.2 database on SCO UNIX server

> We are trying to figure out how to use stored procedures and
> commit/rollback with RDO.  We try doing things like

>         rdoConn.BeginTrans
>         ret_cd = rdoConn.CreateQuery ('{call stored_proc (?, ?) }')
>         if ret_cd = good_Query then
>                 rdoConn.EndTrans        ' or whatever a "commit" equivalent may be
>         else
>                 rdoConn.Rollback        ' or whatever the syntax is for a rollback
>         end if

> and also substituting "rdoConn.Execute ('commit')" for EndTrans, etc.

> With any method, committing or rolling back do not seem to work.
> Everything always ends up being committed.  Any suggestions?  Code
> examples would be nice.  Would going to RDO V2 help?  We will also be
> trying to call multiple stored procedures in a row, trying to ipmlement
> the ability to rollback all the way before the calling of the first stored
> procedure.  Any special things to watch out for there?  If anyone knows of
> a relevant Microsoft knowledge base article, please let me know.

> --
> tkupp at pacifier dot com

Hi,

what we encounterd with older version of the ms-jet (2.5) is that all
statements executed directly on the server via executeSQL (what you use
may be an ancessor) are alwys committed and there is no chance to get it
work otherwise.
--
Regards

M.Gresz    :-)

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. COMMIT / ROLLBACK CLOSE MY RESULTSET IN RDO 2.0

2. RDO and Committing to Oracle

3. Oracle commits vs Sybase/SQL-Server commits

4. workspace commit/rollback

5. Commit/Rollback spanning procedures

6. DB Commit\Rollback Issues

7. Begin-Rollback-Commit Transaction

8. How does .commit and .rollback work?

9. VB4 - Commit or Rollback without BeginTrans. (Error 3034)

10. Commit and Rollback

11. BeginTrans Commit RollBack

12. BeginTrans, Commit, RollBack