Need Expert Opinion - VB5 Native Code vs Access 97 Runtime
Author Message
 Need Expert Opinion - VB5 Native Code vs Access 97 Runtime

Greetings:

We are in the process of building a new application that we hope to
distribute on a large scale.  We are in a bit of a dilemma in that we are
trying to decide the best development tool to use, VB5 or Access 97.  (We
have had Access 2.0 experience but are new to VB5).

Since most of the tables for our data is being built in Access 97, are we
just better off distributing this product with Access?  Our concern is the
claim that VB5 compiles down to native' code while Access needs the
runtime.  We will mostly be developing this for a single user environment
(running on both laptops and desktops) , however, the product  will
probably migrate to multiuser in an NT environment down the road.

I'm of the opinion that since Access provides for VBA we should accomplish
just about anything we can in VB5 and develop it faster.  My partner feels
that Access will require too much overhead and may not give us the
flexibility that VB5 has to offer.

 We may want to integrate with some 'MS Office' products such as Word or
Excel later on and we're wondering if the integration would be better with
Access in this area.

We are very interested in your comments and opinions.

Please respond to my email address as follows:

Thanks in Advance,
Dino Grana

Dino Grana
Artistic Computer Services

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Expert Opinion - VB5 Native Code vs Access 97 Runtime

[snip]

Quote:
>Since most of the tables for our data is being built in Access 97, are we
>just better off distributing this product with Access?  Our concern is the
>claim that VB5 compiles down to native' code while Access needs the
>runtime.

Although what you say is true, the distribution setup for both is
large.  The distribution setup for Access (I presume you are going to
distribute the Access runtime, so your customer will not have to buy
Access) is about 8MB.  The distribution for VB is around 4MB.  By the
way VB 5.0 does not produce a stand alone executable.  You must
distribute the runtime files with it.

Quote:
>We will mostly be developing this for a single user environment
>(running on both laptops and desktops) , however, the product  will
>probably migrate to multiuser in an NT environment down the road.

Access is not very well suited for a multiuser environment, due to the
way it locks pages.

Quote:
>I'm of the opinion that since Access provides for VBA we should accomplish
>just about anything we can in VB5 and develop it faster.  My partner feels
>that Access will require too much overhead and may not give us the
>flexibility that VB5 has to offer.

You are both correct.

Quote:
> We may want to integrate with some 'MS Office' products such as Word or
>Excel later on and we're wondering if the integration would be better with
>Access in this area.

Both will do the job, but it may be easier with VB 5.0.

| Tom Childers - Arlington, Texas                                 |

Tue, 01 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need Expert Opinion - VB5 Native Code vs Access 97 Runtime

2. Need Expert Opinion - VB5 Native Code vs. Access 97 Runtime

3. Native Code vs P-Code run differently (VB5.0 SP3)

4. complie Native-Code vs P-Code

5. P-Code vs. Native-Code problem

6. P-Code vs Native Code

7. Native Code vs. P-Code