So-called VB4.0a
Author Message
 So-called VB4.0a

Hi all,

Just got off of the phone with someone from Microsoft. It's a joke just trying
to find somebody to talk to. So many different paths. It's just like a maze;
the only prize you might get is a final answer.

Version 4.0a, according to person I talked with is a *silent* maintenance
release. That is why the actual version number remains 4.0 and not changed to
4.0a. They claim that this is not really an upgrade; just a maintenance
release and is only free to those who are experiencing problems and that the
problem can by identified by a tech support person as being a documented
problem. He said that there are over 6,000 listed problems. He then tells me
that there is nothing wrong with VB4.0. That there are no *show stopping*
problems. Show Stopping problems? When I run into difficulties, it sure does
stop my show (development). If you are not experiencing any problems (problems
that have not been approved of by a tech support person) and just want the
upgrade, then you have to pay $19.95. They claim that this is to recoup costs
of the disk. I don't recall seeing the wholesale price of a CDROM at $19.95.
Sure, sure there are other overhead costs but I still question the tactic,
since they all but admit there are corrected problems on this disk. Oh,
Microsoft, Microsoft, you have gotten too big. As of today, the disk is
back-ordered. Takes 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Is it time to revolt? I don't know. Maybe I'll just change careers. Would you
like fries to go with that, sir?

Terry R. Cox
Applied Database Systems

Fri, 18 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 So-called VB4.0a

Quote:

>Subject: So-called VB4.0a
>Date: Mon, 01 Apr 96 23:28:01 GMT
>Hi all,
>Just got off of the phone with someone from Microsoft. It's a joke just trying
>to find somebody to talk to. So many different paths. It's just like a maze;
>the only prize you might get is a final answer.

<snip>

This whole matter has got very sad!  While VB4 has a number of very good
ideas, the implementation has fallen over badly.  It is a bit like driving a
bottle of good Moet around in a VW.
I was very e{*filter*}d about VB4 when it was announced, but after paying the money
felt I had been had.  TOO SLOW!!!
Microsoft has a lot to answer for.  Let us all hope that Bill Gates can spare
a couple of dollars to fix up this insult to all the people that have
supported his company for so many years.
For those of us that were gullible and believed that Microsoft gave a fair
deal to its users, lets hope that an upgrade to VB5 is given FREE!
As for all the "hassles" in even lodging a protest........VERY SAD bill

Sun, 20 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 So-called VB4.0a

Quote:
>>Just got off of the phone with someone from Microsoft. It's a joke just trying
>>to find somebody to talk to. So many different paths. It's just like a maze;
>>the only prize you might get is a final answer.
>This whole matter has got very sad!  While VB4 has a number of very good
>ideas, the implementation has fallen over badly.  It is a bit like driving a
>bottle of good Moet around in a VW.
>Microsoft has a lot to answer for.  Let us all hope that Bill Gates can spare
>a couple of dollars to fix up this insult to all the people that have

I have VB4, but have not done any real work in it yet. If these errors
are so pervasive, would it be appropriate to send email to the boss?
Perhaps he is not aware of the depth and breadth of the problems?

Sun, 20 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to get VB4.0A: the snychronization release of VB4

2. Keeping VB4.0a, Selling VB4.0 Legal??

3. FS: VB5.0 Pro and VB4.0a Pro

4. BeginTrans with Jet3.0 and VB4.0a

5. Numerous VB4.0a Problems ?????

6. Transactions using RDO with VB4.0a

7. Zero length strings, SQL Server6.0/VB4.0a and spaces

8. VB4.0a with Pentium Pro 200MHz

9. Subject: Re: VB4.0a

10. Is VB4.0a out ???

11. FS: VB5.0 Pro and VB4.0a Pro