Access Database concurrent users in VB 4.0 application and Database Security
Author Message
 Access Database concurrent users in VB 4.0 application and Database Security

Hi:
I need help for the following issues with Visual Basic 4.0 (Prof
Version) and MS-Access 7.0. Could anyone kindly post the answer ASAP.
Thank you very much.

1. I have to deal with a application where Visual Basic 4.0 in the
front-end and MS-Access 7.0 in back-end. I have to support at least 25
concurrent user. MS-Access DataBase will be in the NT server 4.0, where
database rows will exceed 10,000. There will be multiple tables, one of
them contains the user profile info (UserID, Password, PWD ExpDate etc).
I need to know: a) How much concurrent users does support by MS-Access
7.0. b) How can I implement 25 concurrent users from VB 4.0 and Access
7.0. I mean setup in the DataBase side (25 user), coding (examples) for
VB 4.0 to support so many concurrent users. c) If rows exceed over 10K
and  20+ user access the data at the same time how much decreases the
performance?

2) DataBase Security. I have to deal with 20 tables MS-Access Database
that will be use from the Visual Basic 4.0 application. From the Visual
Basic restrictions can be applied using UserProfile table (UserID, PWD,
PWD ExpDate). But anyone can open the same Database using MS-Access 7.0
without any restrictions, just like opening ASCII file. How can I
protect that data, so that no one will be able to access that data from
MS-Access database except those who are authorized to browse data from
the VB 4.0 application. Two way data can be protected to prevent from
unauthorized browsing. a) Only specific administrator can browse the
data from MS-Access 7.0 but all authorized users able to browse from VB
4.0 application or b) All authorized users in the userProfile table will
be able to browse the data either from MS-Access or VB 4.0 application.
Option "a" is more protected because only administrator can able to see
the UserProfile info but not other regular user. So, How can I implement
this SECURITY in MS-Access Database for Visual Basic 4.0 application? I
need to know the Database setup option and coding for VB 4.0. Thanks.

- Mohsin

Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Access Database concurrent users in VB 4.0 application and Database Security

Quote:

> Hi:
> I need help for the following issues with Visual Basic 4.0 (Prof
> Version) and MS-Access 7.0. Could anyone kindly post the answer ASAP.
> Thank you very much.

> 1. I have to deal with a application where Visual Basic 4.0 in the
> front-end and MS-Access 7.0 in back-end. I have to support at least 25
> concurrent user. MS-Access DataBase will be in the NT server 4.0, where
> database rows will exceed 10,000. There will be multiple tables, one of
> them contains the user profile info (UserID, Password, PWD ExpDate etc).
> I need to know: a) How much concurrent users does support by MS-Access
> 7.0. b) How can I implement 25 concurrent users from VB 4.0 and Access
> 7.0. I mean setup in the DataBase side (25 user), coding (examples) for
> VB 4.0 to support so many concurrent users. c) If rows exceed over 10K
> and  20+ user access the data at the same time how much decreases the
> performance?

DONT USE MS ACCESS FOR THIS! Above 10 concurrent users, and Access is
slow as a ....

This is a job for a SQL server(MS SQL server, or any other NT SQL
Servers. Access is designed for local single users. Its not designed
for large (>10) usergroups. Especially when the database is big.

Quote:
> 2) DataBase Security. I have to deal with 20 tables MS-Access Database

You dont. Se my previous answer.

Jon Arne
--
|tlf:22 23 67 57 - *Jon Arne Hegge* - mob: 90 78 52 48|

--===> Wherever you are, there you are <===--

Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Access Database concurrent users in VB 4.0 application and Database Security

I totally dis-agreed with Jon Arne.  It is a total bull shit.  It is
depending on how you connect to you MS Access database.  If you are using
the data control which is supplied with VB4, YES you are going to be quite
slow.  There are many ways to connect to your Access database.  I suggest
that you should be using DAO or RDO or even ODBC direct.  I am sure you will
find the performance is so much better.

Quote:

>> Hi:
>> I need help for the following issues with Visual Basic 4.0 (Prof
>> Version) and MS-Access 7.0. Could anyone kindly post the answer ASAP.
>> Thank you very much.

>> 1. I have to deal with a application where Visual Basic 4.0 in the
>> front-end and MS-Access 7.0 in back-end. I have to support at least 25
>> concurrent user. MS-Access DataBase will be in the NT server 4.0, where
>> database rows will exceed 10,000. There will be multiple tables, one of
>> them contains the user profile info (UserID, Password, PWD ExpDate etc).
>> I need to know: a) How much concurrent users does support by MS-Access
>> 7.0. b) How can I implement 25 concurrent users from VB 4.0 and Access
>> 7.0. I mean setup in the DataBase side (25 user), coding (examples) for
>> VB 4.0 to support so many concurrent users. c) If rows exceed over 10K
>> and  20+ user access the data at the same time how much decreases the
>> performance?

>DONT USE MS ACCESS FOR THIS! Above 10 concurrent users, and Access is
>slow as a ....

>This is a job for a SQL server(MS SQL server, or any other NT SQL
>Servers. Access is designed for local single users. Its not designed
>for large (>10) usergroups. Especially when the database is big.

>> 2) DataBase Security. I have to deal with 20 tables MS-Access Database

>You dont. Se my previous answer.

>Jon Arne
>--
>|tlf:22 23 67 57 - *Jon Arne Hegge* - mob: 90 78 52 48|

>--===> Wherever you are, there you are <===--

Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Access Database concurrent users in VB 4.0 application and Database Security

2. lock table for concurrent user-access with RDO and Access-Database

3. lock table for concurrent user-access with RDO and Access-Database

4. concurrent user-access with RDO and Access-Database

5. concurrent user-access with RDO and Access-Database

6. lock table for concurrent user-access with RDO and Access-Database

7. concurrent user-access with RDO and Access-Database

8. VB 4.0 database access quits after installing NT 4.0 Server

9. VB 4.0 (32-bit) accessing password protected Access 7.0 database

10. VB 4.0 (32-bit) accessing password protected Access 7.0 database

11. Concurrent Database Access with ADO

12. Concurrent Database Access with ADO