Help - Need database product direction
Author Message
 Help - Need database product direction

I am looking for direction in choosing a database product or technology.
Presently, I am using Access 97 (which suits me fine) to create small
single user, desktop productivty apps for our church. Other congregations
have expressed interest in using them, but are reluctant to purchase
Access. I do not wish to purchase the Developer's edition for the runtime
module. I want to create standalone, relational database applications that
are not Win version dependant. Is the technology there to use a web
browser as front end to a local database, with interface tools akin to
Access? Or should I use VB or some other product? RAD is important as is
cost as we are a volunteer organization. All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

-Harlan Pankau
h p a n k a u (at) e a r t h l i n k . n e t

Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:42:45 GMT
 Help - Need database product direction

Quote:

> I am looking for direction in choosing a database product or technology.
> Presently, I am using Access 97 (which suits me fine) to create small
> single user, desktop productivty apps for our church. Other congregations
> have expressed interest in using them, but are reluctant to purchase
> Access. I do not wish to purchase the Developer's edition for the runtime
> module. I want to create standalone, relational database applications that
> are not Win version dependant. Is the technology there to use a web
> browser as front end to a local database, with interface tools akin to
> Access? Or should I use VB or some other product? RAD is important as is
> cost as we are a volunteer organization. All help is greatly appreciated.

You should be able to use HTML pages, stored on the local computer,
which use embedded or "compiled" JavaScript or VBScript components
to interface to DAO 3.51, allowing you to continue using Access 97
for database design and prototyping:

 URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/nhp/Default.asp?contentid=28001169

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     Got Thetans? <http://www.xenu.net/>

Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:33:02 GMT
 Help - Need database product direction

Quote:
> I am looking for direction in choosing a database product or technology.
> Presently, I am using Access 97 (which suits me fine) to create small
> single user, desktop productivty apps for our church. Other congregations
> have expressed interest in using them, but are reluctant to purchase
> Access. I do not wish to purchase the Developer's edition for the runtime
> module. I want to create standalone, relational database applications that
> are not Win version dependant.

PostgreSQL is a free RDMS. It's developed for linnux but with cygwin you'll
also have a free Win version of it.

Quote:
> Is the technology there to use a web
> browser as front end to a local database, with interface tools akin to
> Access?

No problem, install PostgreSQL, MySQL or some other database, a webserver
(e.g. apache) with PHP, Perl and/or ASP support. So you can use cgi with
some scripts to build a Webapplication based on your RDB.
You can even use Access as frontend to a PostgreSQL-DB.

Quote:
> Or should I use VB or some other product? RAD is important as is
> cost as we are a volunteer organization. All help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks

Take also a look at ColdFusion from allaire. It's a Web-Application-Server
for RAD. There is also a free version (ColdFusion Express). It's easy
to use, but maybe you better invest some time in PHP.

HTH
  Carsten

Tue, 10 Aug 2004 17:55:14 GMT
 Help - Need database product direction

That's a lot to chew on, thanks for the direction Carsten.

-Harlan

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:44:15 GMT
 Help - Need database product direction

Thanks Joe. This is pretty foreign to me now. I'll look into it.

-Harlan

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:46:32 GMT
 Help - Need database product direction
There is no reason to require the customer to purchase Access if you give
them an Access application.

YOU go get the Access Developer's Kit (or Access Developer's Edition)

This will help you create a windows hosted setup program that installs your
access application, and it installs the runtime edition of access for free
use by the customer and no royalties paid by you.

--
Peace & happy computing,

Mike Labosh, MCSD MCT
"Escriba coda ergo sum." -- vbSensei

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 03:47:00 GMT

1. VB and C database product needed

2. Product A = Product B + Product C + .......

3. Need help on direction to start looking

4. need some direction on how to create a help file

5. Need help finding third party products

6. Need help finding third party products

7. Need help finding third party products

8. Need help finding third party products

9. Database Tables Disappearing - HELP HELP - Need Access Database specs

10. Need a direction to head...

11. Experienced Programmer needs quick shove in the right direction

12. Remote Management - Direction Needed