Connecting a VB.Net to a database via ODBC
Author Message
 Connecting a VB.Net to a database via ODBC

Has anybody done this successfully yet?

I am from a "Progress" database environment and am new to this VB .Net
stuff.

I am about to evaluate VB.Net and would like to get a VB.Net front end
talking to a PROGRESS database, I would really appreciate some
pointers to the right and wrong ways to get this going.

I think my only real option would be to establish an ODBC connection.

Is there any documentation, walk-throughs, etc out there that would be
usefull?

Thanks in advance, SKIP

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:54:12 GMT
 Connecting a VB.Net to a database via ODBC
I am working on the same issue. I am new to vb.net (dont know crap),
however I have gotten this far.

You need to download Framework 1.1
Import Microsoft.Data.ODBC

explained further here....
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgu...

Also check out
www.openlinksoftware.com

I have not installed their drivers but I heard some buzz about this
driver. If you get anywhere please email me.  I just started this
research today.  I have a merrant driver. I think I need to provide a
driver name in the connection string and dont know how to refer to it.
We shall see..

Quote:

> Has anybody done this successfully yet?

> I am from a "Progress" database environment and am new to this VB .Net
> stuff.

> I am about to evaluate VB.Net and would like to get a VB.Net front end
> talking to a PROGRESS database, I would really appreciate some
> pointers to the right and wrong ways to get this going.

> I think my only real option would be to establish an ODBC connection.

> Is there any documentation, walk-throughs, etc out there that would be
> usefull?

> Thanks in advance, SKIP

Sun, 16 Oct 2005 05:33:23 GMT
 Connecting a VB.Net to a database via ODBC
My opinion [it could be wrong] is that it is much better
to forget the odbc and use the OleDb.
This give much more control on any aspect of the database.
In particular by the OleDbsSchemaGuid one has a complete
mastering of the database, including system tables and hidden
relationships.
Anyway, I would like to hear any contrary opinion ...

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:46:14 GMT

1. Connecting to an Access 95 database via an ODBC driver in VB 5.0

2. Connect to Gupta database via ODBC using VB

3. Connecting to an Access 95 database via an ODBC driver in VB 5.0

4. Connecting to Oracle7 via ODBC without SQL*NET????

5. Packing a FoxPro table via ODBC.net from VB.net

6. Connecting to MSAccess Database via ODBC

7. Connect To ODBC Database On the Net

8. Connecting to Oracle via VB thru ODBC

9. Connecting to Oracle DB via VB (ODBC)...

10. How to connect VB witout usin ODBC to Oracle databases

11. Using ODBC/VB/RAS to connect to a database remotely

12. Using ODBC/VB/RAS to connect to a database remotely