DataControl On Line Update with SQL Passthrough
Author Message
 DataControl On Line Update with SQL Passthrough

Does any one konw whether or not a data control based on a pass-through
stored procedure (in a SQL Server database via ODBC) that selects records
from multiple tables using JOINs can do on-line edit to the records? Can
use Data1.Recordset.AddNew? can use Data1.Recordset.Delete? ...

I am talking about VB v3.0 and the data control is definitely not
READONLY. The database tables are updateable.

I got error messages saying those operations were illegal when I tried to
do so. But no VB user manuals or other books talk about you CAN NOT do
so. And as matter of fact, this is the way a data control is used -
connecting to data source via ODBC and you can do on-line edit on it.
All examples I've read just talk about simple ones like a data control
connecting to a single table or a pass-through SQL selecting records from
a single table, etc...

Any information is welcome and appreciated!

Yan

Sun, 06 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 DataControl On Line Update with SQL Passthrough

Quote:

>do so. But no VB user manuals or other books talk about you CAN NOT do
>so.

Check the OLH on Dynasets - if they're created with DB_SQLPASSTHROUGH
then they are not updatable.
Quote:
>All examples I've read just talk about simple ones like a data control
>connecting to a single table or a pass-through SQL selecting records from
>a single table, etc...

VB3 Professional Features Book 2 Page 85 details the issues around
updating dynaset based on multiple-tables - bear in mid that if you've
used DB_PASSTHROUGH then it won't be updatable anyway !

Sat, 12 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. How different is MS Sql Passthrough, to ACCESS SQL

2. when datacontrol.refresh after datacontrol.recordsource=sql, I get object error

3. Insert Records from SQL Server Passthrough Query

4. URGENT!! SQL Passthrough

5. SQL Passthrough for RDO

6. Access 97, Orcale and SQL Passthrough

7. Selecting Records on a SQL Server via PassThrough?

8. SQL Passthrough Problems

9. Oracle Stored Procedure from DAO using QueryDef SQL Passthrough

10. Jet Parses SQL despite PassThrough

11. SQL Passthrough?

12. Executing Procedures w/ SQL Passthrough (???)